It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death row inmate executed using pentobarbital in lethal injection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Death row inmate executed using pentobarbital in lethal injection

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- An Oklahoma death row inmate received a drug commonly used to euthanize animals Thursday because of a nationwide shortage of sodium thiopental, the drug usually used as the sedative in its three-drug execution cocktail.

John David Duty was convicted and sentenced to die for strangling his 22-year-old cellmate, Curtis Wise, with shoe laces in 2001. At the time, he was serving three life sentences for rape, robbery and shooting with intent to kill from a 1978
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I find this story to be uniquely disturbing and a sad reminder of the times we are living in.

Human beings now being executed in the same manner as an animal, with the same drug, certainly gives new meaning to the old saying “Put down like a dog”.

Has human life really become this cheap?

Law and Order aficionados are bound to applaud and praise this, but I find it morally repugnant nonetheless.

The State now sees virtually no difference between human life and animal life when both are terminated legally by the same precise method of execution.

The system of free range slavery, and human livestock toiling for their master’s benefit and satisfaction or else, has taken yet another twist.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

America doesn't rehabilitate criminals, we punish.

The death penalty in my opinion is a archaic and outdated method of punishment. And no matter how we administer it, is no better than stoning or crucifixion.

Certainly there are those that should never see the outside of a cell, but there are many more who can be rehabilitated, educated, and become productive contributing members of society.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Two things...
1. Rape, robery, shooting, plus murder... if someone doesn't want to be treated like an animal, not acting like one would seem a good first step.
2. The Pentobarbitol was the anesthesia component of the lethal injection... I didn't even realize they used an anesthetic. I find that more disturbing than what they used. Do the criminals on death row anesthnetize their victims before committing their heinous crimes?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

John David Duty was convicted and sentenced to die for strangling his 22-year-old cellmate, Curtis Wise, with shoe laces in 2001. At the time, he was serving three life sentences for rape, robbery and shooting with intent to kill from a 1978

A man that was put on death row, is dead. What's the problem? My question is what too so long? Nine years is a lot of taxpayer money, from 2001 to now. I think they should just do the firing squad. Bullets are cheaper.

O by the way I had my dog put down about a month ago. It was the most peaceful death I have ever witnessed. The dude got less than what he should have.

MOTF!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
My gut reaction is "good, I hope this creep suffered in his last throws of death". However, after my cooler head prevailed, I realized that you can't really be too sure that this guy is guilty. I'm certainly not confident in our [in]justice system and the way it is severely flawed. Over 114 people have now been released from death-row due to new evidence exonerating them (15 due to DNA). Sadly, those 15 are just the cases where DNA evidence was available, while the rest were due to witnesses coming forward or some other substantial evidence proving innocense. Clearly, our justice system is hardly about justice, especially when more people are punished for political crimes (crimes that do not create a victim), than real crimes and the biggest criminals of all, the war-mongers, politicians and bankers, aren't even touched.

--airspoon

edit on 16-12-2010 by airspoon because: Changed "DNA evidence"

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

America doesn't rehabilitate criminals, we punish.

The death penalty in my opinion is a archaic and outdated method of punishment. And no matter how we administer it, is no better than stoning or crucifixion.

Certainly there are those that should never see the outside of a cell, but there are many more who can be rehabilitated, educated, and become productive contributing members of society.

I agree with this statement. We don't just punish we incarcerate for profit. Private prisons are becoming the wave of the future, a new source of cheap almost total slave labor, subsidized by the tax payer, creating almost total profit for the corporation employing that labor.

Murder is murder, whether its the state carrying out an act of revenge against a murderer, it's still murder.

How can we expect society itself to hold itself to a higher moral compass than the state itself does.

If the state engages in murder, then it's citizens certainly are bound to as well.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

My first honest thought upon reading this?

I think my dog deserves a better death than this scumbag. If there is disparity in the system, then let it be in favor of the dogs.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I also find this disturbing, and am strongly against the "revenge penalty". But, since when as any State had decency or respect for any sort of life? States are created to plunder the earth, and suck every last drop of life out of everything.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Two things...
1. Rape, robery, shooting, plus murder... if someone doesn't want to be treated like an animal, not acting like one would seem a good first step.

My thoughts exactly. It is to my disappointment that Australia doesn't have a death penalty for rapists in particular.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Humane execution is actually being kind. So if the justice system is geared to punishment rather than rehab; so be it.

Bland Starvation diet, no TV except for constant pictures of his victims, no creature comforts and complete isolation with absolutely no human contact. I don't mind my taxes paying for that style of keeping monsters alive.
Having a friend murdered for $8.46 has colored my usually liberal ideology.

Turn all victimless criminals loose but make them pay restitution where applicable.

edit on 17-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
What does it matter? Either way he is killed through IV.

new topics

top topics

join