It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaping Holes in Airline Security: Loaded Gun Slips Past TSA Screeners

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Gaping Holes in Airline Security: Loaded Gun Slips Past TSA Screeners

abcnews.go.com

Last fall, as he had done hundreds of times, Iranian-American businessman Farid Seif passed through security at a Houston airport and boarded an international flight.

He didn't realize he had forgotten to remove the loaded snub nose "baby" Glock pistol from his computer bag. But TSA officers never noticed as his bag glided along the belland was x-rayed. When he got to his hotel after the three-hour flight, he was shocked to discover the gun traveled unnoticed from Houston.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Maybe I'm becoming overly cynical and distrusting of the corpomedia outlets nowadays, but something about this story seems to not sit quite right with me.

It sort of has the stench of propaganda, almost like they are trying to 'sell' the need for increased draconian checkpoints at the airports.

We know that the TSA is worthless to begin with, but this almost seems staged to me.

Anyone else get this feeling?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Well "Iranian american" since when do the americans catagorize that way?
and of course it would be an Iranian American
that makes me think you might be right

Also who forgets a gun in a computer bag on the way to the airport
especially an Iranian American.
edit on 16-12-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

100% .. Show me someone that would do this.... A middle easterner... And then tell someone? BULL FING SHAT!!!

But how can anyone be this dumb... It is so awfully staged... This might be found out.. Wait, this is never gonna fly.

This might be one of those realization moments.

Unless this guy is mother Theresa's twin .... Maybe, tell a few of your closest friends, but to go report it?? BS!!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
While this could of course be staged, it also may just be very real. Something like this doesn't surprise me in the least. The security measures that our government takes, doesn't seem to be for security so much as business, profit, control and indoctrination. Just take a look at the so-called border security for instance. Our borders are practically wide open, basically allowing anyone to just waltz in with whatever device they want. However and in spite of this, I'm screened for three hours at the Customs office and billions are being spent at various ports of entry, as if a "terrorist" would actually try to sneak a nuke in through the customs office.

I think these "security" measures are nothing more than tightening control over the American people as well as subverting and sidelining the Constitution, thus when they sink this ship, there will be nothing we can do about it. We will have then given up all of our rights.

Think about it... They aren't worried about a surprise attack from some terrorist somewhere, as they are the terrorists. They are the ones doing the attacking. If an attack is going to happen, they probably know about it and maybe they are even behind it. In fact, if it isn't certain influences behind government doing the attacking, then it is the government setting someone up, providing the logistics, training and motivation.

It is more than obvious that our "terror" problem is government or PTB created. Whether "they" are doing the attacking or setting up some dog and pony show to offer the public a "real, live terrorist".

--airspoon

edit on 16-12-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
You know, if they guy's name had been Billy Bob, I'd say shenanigans were afoot. The fact that this was an individual with lineage to the Arabian Gulf causes me to say "Yeah, this story is probably legit." The TSA is so paranoid that they'll be labeled racist (because in modern America, the big racist tag is basically the one thing that would equal MASSIVE public outcry and represent a virtual death sentence to their agency as we know it) that they probably don't even bother with people like the subject of this article. Last month there were quite a few articles with anecdotes from travelers about seeing barely any Middle Easterners being sent through the Rap-i-scans or fondlethon2010 lines.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Resurrectio

It may not fly here, on ATS, BUT I gaurantee it will fly right past the sleeping drugged up (pharms, folks), average American Idiot!

Diane Sawyer (or whatever mouthpiece on hand) said it, it must be true!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
When you consider how many screenings there are per day, there are bound to be a few slip-ups where someone zones out instead of scrutinizing the X-ray image. So it could happen, don't think it's impossible. If you're TSA, after your 5000th screening that day you probably start to get a little weary.

However, I agree with those who are shocked this guy is an Iranian and he's telling people about it. It's not the kind of thing I'd advertise.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
everytime i fly i pay attention to the screeners, one time all three were to busy laughing that they didn't look at the screen when my bag went thru.

x-ray screeners are the equivalent to a mcjob in the aviation industry or a checkout counter in a supermarket.

they get paid about the same and pretty much have the same attitude: when's lunch, when's break, when's it time to go home and i don't really give a crap, i'm not flying.

my solution is to have two screeners on the opposide side of each other, simultaneously looking at the baggage on different screens as it goes by.

they should also be semi-isolated in a booth so they aren't distracted.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Resurrectio

I don't see what is so odd about an Iranian-American reporting what happened. After all, the article mentions how it was an international flight. Therefor, he would have to report the incident or toss his gun in a lake, since there would be no other way to bring it back with him.

reply to post by burdman30ott6

The fact that this was an individual with lineage to the Arabian Gulf causes me to say "Yeah, this story is probably legit." The TSA is so paranoid that they'll be labeled racist (because in modern America, the big racist tag is basically the one thing that would equal MASSIVE public outcry and represent a virtual death sentence to their agency as we know it)

First of all, there is no such thing as the Arabian Gulf, I believe you're referring to the Persian Gulf! Secondly, if public outcry hasn't stopped TSA from sticking their hands down your pants, then it sure wont stopped them from racial profiling, which is happening a lot more than you think. Lastly, I fail to see your logic..so you think the story is "probably legit" because the guy is middle-eastern and the TSA didn't want to check his bag because of it???

Are you serious???

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by endlessknowledge
I don't see what is so odd about an Iranian-American reporting what happened. After all, the article mentions how it was an international flight. Therefor, he would have to report the incident or toss his gun in a lake, since there would be no other way to bring it back with him.
How does reporting the incident resolve that issue?

It's not like they're going to let him bring a loaded gun in his carry-on just because he reported he did it before?

And if he's bringing it in a checked bag, can't he do that whether or not he reported the incident?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
i do find it interesting his gun was not found because we all know the tsa likes to have us pull out our computers to search hands-on and such. either they don't know what a gun looks like, or this is a fake

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
How does reporting the incident resolve that issue?

It's not like they're going to let him bring a loaded gun in his carry-on just because he reported he did it before?

Well, what would you suggest he should do with a registered gun in a foreign country?

And if he's bringing it in a checked bag, can't he do that whether or not he reported the incident?

Not sure where you're going with this. No one said he could bring the gun back in a checked bag. There's a good chance he wont get the gun back but what is his other option? Dump the gun and report it stolen when he gets back?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Glocks are full of polymers and sitting next to a laptop, it was probably hard to tell exactly what it was.

Thats why the X-rays are worthless.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
This would suggest that the methods of discovery are not effective.
So what really could be the point in all of these searches to outrage the public?
Could it be that the airlines themselves want to fold?
Are they facing high carbon taxes that are soon to be implemented?
Many of the aircraft are old. Maybe it's time to retire them.
Could the corporations themselves be behind this?
Is this how they begin to bring in green energy----limit pollution and gas by making travels unpleasant?

What is the real reason behind all of this? I don't buy the "t-ist" explanation.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by endlessknowledge

You bring up racial profiling.... I am all for racial profiling.. especially in airports.

Every single person that has, or tried to blow up/hijack planes has been between 18 and 40 middle eastern men....

To ignore this is ignorant and ill advised!!..

When I get on a plane and I see an person of middle eastern decent. I will size him up and watch him for the remainder of the flight. Call it racist... call it bigotry.. call it what ever you want... I will still be watching them, and so should the airports!

I admittedly do not like Muslims and think Islam is evil.. Is it from the MSM? Nope, personal experience!

Now, don't get me wrong.. I am against all religion! At least other religions have attempted to fit in with modern earth!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
there was a thread similar to this one a while ago but with a different guy it was Adam Savage of MythBusters, here is the link to the thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and the clip

MYTH BUSTED

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well I just flew and got a lighter on the plane. Nothing like a gun or anything but I know those are not allowed. I didn't realize it was in my purse. I took one out when I got to the airport and the other was in a side pocket. I had not used that purse in months but took it on the plane cause of the size and didn't know it was there. It went thru a couple security checks and well I ended up with it on the plane. I tossed it with dinner lol I was kind of paranoid they would freak out. So to me it seems they can miss something. To be honest the people weren't paying too much attention to the screen machines as stuff went through. I watched them the entire time while I was waiting.

What was also weird was they had TSA people EVERYWHERE. OMG they were on the trams and near bathrooms. I don't remember there being that many when I flew in July and yes some had more of an attitude than others. There was a girl in London who walked through security and she was pretty hot I will say, well they took her aside and searched her. I watched them do it. I thought the only reason they are doing that is her looks. The thing didn't go off or anything when she walked through. She was asking them what was going on and they said something like it's a extra precaution. I was thinking to myself yea right. The only thing they stopped me for was to look in my bag and check out my phone which I found weird. I dont get what the whole point of that was but I did it cause i didnt wanted any extra problems. I was annoyed for the girl who had the extra pat down and it was clear why they did it.

So yeah some TSA people are total pigs and it shows and I do think things can be missed if they aren't paying attention.

I'm not sure about this story and I don't get why his nationality is even mentioned. Like another member said since when did people go around calling themselves in those terms. I don't walk around saying Im a German/Sicilian American, I am just American.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resurrectio

You bring up racial profiling.... I am all for racial profiling.. especially in airports.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to share your prejudice with us. Unfortunately, it has no relevance my point. I made no such claim that racial profiling should or should not take place, just that it does happen and the fact that anyone who has a registered gun most likely will report the incident, since the other option would be to toss their gun and then report it stolen when they get back.

When I get on a plane and I see an person of middle eastern decent. I will size him up and watch him for the remainder of the flight. Call it racist... call it bigotry.. call it what ever you want... I will still be watching them, and so should the airports!

Way to go Inspector Gadget...How many lives have you saved so far???

I admittedly do not like Muslims and think Islam is evil.. Is it from the MSM? Nope, personal experience!

Listen, I'm not here to defend Islam. I disagree with plenty of its teaching and I agree that it doesn't fit well with modern society. However, Islam is not a RACE. Just because the person comes from the middle-east does not mean that they are Muslim. In fact, many middle-easterner flee their country because they can't handle Islam depriving them of their basic rights. Do they deserve to be profiled by you? I guess it's just collateral damage in your eye, right? Divide and conquer is the name of the game and you're doing a great job in pushing the agenda!!

To ignore this is ignorant and ill advised!!..

Of course, you wouldn't what to be ignorant now would you? If so you might actually contribute to TSA sticking its hand down your pant. Oh wait, I guess you feel that's justifies as well right. After all, we need to take away your freedoms to stop the bad middle-easterners.
Embrace your fear my friend.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hooray for the TSA! I'm going to lead more towards this story being a "See that's why we need so much more security in airports!" kinda thing. It doesn't surprise me that crap gets through sometimes, but I'm sure this story was given special attention since it's close to a real busy travel time here in the states. "Be afraid! Look what happened! Now please drop your shorts and grab your ankles."

As for the Glock consisting of polymers, the slide and barrel are hefty chunks of metal; if a screener can't pick that up on an x-ray then they probably should be guarding a urinal in the mens room instead.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join