It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles public schools open doors to 'corporate brand identity'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Los Angeles public schools open doors to 'corporate brand identity'

www.rawstory.com

This algebraic equation, brought to you by Coca-Cola?

Absurd as it may sound, that will soon be a figurative reality for many students in Los Angeles county, as public school officials there have announced a plan to solicit corporate sponsorship to help grow their budgets and retain staff.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I really don't know what to say about this.

On the one hand, California's school budget is such a trainwreck that I want to understand their desperation here.

On the other hand, MEGA-CORPORATION sponsoring and having a direct hand in our educational system?!?

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I somehow don't see that ending well. The corpo-elitists already control ENOUGH of our entire society as it is. But something like this sounds like a perfect 'grooming' opportunity for them to 'steer' education.

Thoughts?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

This is a really bad idea, but it is the trend unfortunately.

Here in the ATL, it has already started with the schools.

The arena where the Georgia College for Technology and Engineering (Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets) plays basketball has naming rights that was purchased by McDonalds.

This is a slippery slope straight into the original movie Rollerball, which I saw someone else talking about on here today, ironically enough.

Excellent find.

S & F!!

Edit to add: Next we will see the Chick-Fil-A Math Building.

Or the Doritos Computer Lab.

This is a lot closer than we want or think.
edit on 12/16/2010 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You're not paranoid, this is ridiculous. There is too much indoctrination in the school system as it is, to add this to the mix is to open the floodgate for mind manipulation, not to mention being bombarded by advertisements. Its already increasingly hard to escape the mental assault outside of the classroom. If California legalized and regulated marijuana they would have enough money for schools.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Let's see.... a corporate entity that is legally a citizen, is immortal, has assets rivaling those of many nations, and whose primary objective is to expand it's commercial enterprise infinitely increasing profit for it's 'owners' ....

"Teach our children" will translate to "refine your consumers"... anybody wanna guess how that will turn out?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Well said sir, well said. I understand the need for funding, but there is a line being crossed.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrganicAnagram33

If California legalized and regulated marijuana they would have enough money for schools.

Can I get an Amen?!?!?!?!

We truly live in a crazy world where something like industrial grade HEMP cannot be grown in the US, although we are basically in the middle of a depression and it would create SO much industry, local industry, that it would pull us out of this jiffy quick; but yet....

We are allowing our school boards to contemplate these moves.
This is SUCH a bad idea.

We need to stop the insanity ASAP!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
misunderstood post

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
And yet we all giggled when we seen it on The Simpsons....

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

Truly a wonder plant with more uses than it has names and enemies. I recently started buying hemp seed for protein and I must say that it is one of the most nutritionally balanced foods. With over 1/3 of its weight in protein it also contains all 10 of your essential amino acids and is a good source of iron and dietary fiber. Amen indeed.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

I believe Maxmars was referring to the corporate influence on children when he said refining consumers.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OrganicAnagram33

I have to change this.

If he was referring to the corporate influence of children solely then I will delete the post,

But if he was referring to the latest California proposition and big business taking over the cannabis industry if legalized then I will leave my comment.
Because there is no grounds for thinking that will happen.

We are truly in a gray zone with this and no actual comparisons exist to which a valid comparison can be made.

i guess that I am wondering if he would clarify?

ETA:

Figured it out....

Apologies for the misunderstanding of your statement.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Good points fellas.

So, as it stands already, most of us would agree that we ALREADY have a consumer society, and much of what we are taught in school ALREADY encourages this. I think there already is corporate influence, and I'm near 100% certain the much of the original 'public education' system was funded and structured by the Elitists, such as the Rockefeller and Kellogg clans.

This however, has sort of been on a subtle level in terms of heavy-handedness and outright obviousness, hence why most never question the 'accepted' educational structure.

But THIS story here, seems as if these greed-mongering, power and control-happy entities are no longer even going to try and hide---It appears that they are coming straight out and happily announcing they will take an even heavier role in scholastic structuring.

This to me, is something to be very concerned over. Home schooling is looking more and more inviting by the day.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Indeed, we are without a doubt a consumer society. This is not necessarily a bad thing in itself, consumers have the power to demand a better world. The problem is the indoctrination from youth and the general level of apathy and ignorance. The commodification of the human being and the personifying of corporations has led to imbalance that threatens our very existence. If we are to keep living this path and somehow survive, we will be but a dehumanized shell of our former selves.

Here's a Canadian program on the corporatization of the 'education' system:

video.google.com...#

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

indeed.

yet they still call us crazy when we say "Look what the simpsons are telling us NOW"

and this is my outside view, my first contacts with the true american "culture" were via the simpsons.
now when i have studied the couple centuries in history of the country and see news like this pop up,
i hardly get surprised, no matter how much absurd or new something sounds, when it's all said and done..

the simpsons already have an episode about it.

but i dont want to sound like im american bashing here, on the contrary.
i just like to keep a watch on whatever crazy new deal they introduce there, and count the time till it's introduced here too.

on the bright side, if they make kids repeat subjects like they can make them repeat commercials, the education system can't get worse.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Branding our schools not only leads to captive consumerism with students, but even more negatively it could and would impact curriculum. How would it not eventually?

When Monsanto and BP team up to underwrite your science department and start sharing their corporate-sponsored studies with students because they are included "free of charge" in the envelope with the check to keep the class new and exciting - you have educational bias - at a minimum. It would happen, eventually.

When McDonald's funds parts of the operation of your school lunch room, students get a starring role in the next "Super Size Me Jr." documentary. When Haliburton starts sending money and your health classes, phys. ed. and history classes get the corporate-sponsored literature on how things really went down during that (pick one) war - from their perspective - history won't be written by the winners, but it will be written by the folks who tend to enter and exit using the back door during conflict for some reason.

And if the school really scores - AIG biggies up and sponsors the life skills class and throws in their sure to be printed on glossy paper stock brochures on managing your finances (you must be 18 yrs. old and working for us to get a bailout so sorry kids - but you can be anything you want when you grow up - really.)

The indoctrination process and educating of our young on the best things to learn in order to prosper in a heavily-leaning fascist society would be complete.

Yippeee. another terrible idea to further degrade our education system. Gee.

Thanks for the heads-up DD...we've got incoming.
edit on 16-12-2010 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I can see it now... Nutrition class text books bought for your kids by the Corn Refiners Association.

www.youtube.com...

I imagine in hypothetical cases such as the one I just portrayed, the branding would be minimal, taking back seat to the ever important biasing of information that would be near impossible to detect for the average teen. Thanks lobbying and 'science' funded by big business!

new topics

top topics

join