It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers use DUCT TAPE to tie up four-year-old boy... in front of his father

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

You have my utmost respect. What people don't realize is that the laws nowadays restricted the teachers' ways of doing things while demanding that the teacher teaches more than just subjects while it should be responsibilities of both parents and teachers. Take, for example, is it a teacher's job to teach morality and beliefs inside a classroom? In my honest opinion, it is both the teacher's and parent's job to teach these things inside AND outside of classroom. It is not SOLELY a teacher's responsibility (you'd be surprised how many people think otherwise).

First of all, I'm not from the US so I can't give concrete US examples but I can give examples. For one, we were taught Islamic principles for half a year in history classes and were told to emulate the prophet muhammad as a role model because, oh, you know: he is a walking book of virtue (repeatedly, too). Mind you, I'm not even a Muslim and about 98% of my classmates aren't. Then, we also have the moral class where we're supposed to LEARN moral by memorizing exactly the definition of a given moral word. We were taught what is 'good' and what is 'bad', and luckily, in a loose sense. Now that I look back, it was more like brainwashing but luckily it mostly fell into deaf ears. :p

We're a bunch of students studying for the sake of exams in those days. XD

And I still remember in those days where a teacher could smack the students' hands with a small cane as punishment or deterrent. We were told why we're wrong before being handed to us though, so it wasn't a 'pointless' case of 'physical abuse'. In fact, parents from that age are more towards the mindset of "if the teacher smack you, you must had did something wrong."

Of course, I disagree with that notion though but is it possible to link the lack of physical punishment and stringent school rues to the lacking of morality (in a general sense) in kids nowadays? But then again, kids seems to have the ability to explore their own talents more than ever. It's a trade off I guess.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I suppose it comes down to whether you were a ruthlessly minded child or a malleable child. I was the latter so found the Canings reminded me that I was the one who did something wrong and thus had no right to complain. It's the old you do the crime to do the time attitude... withouth then holding a grudge for our just desserts.

reply to post by MrWendal

Must admint Mr Wendell, I didn't read the article due to my teen-monster being in my ear as I was reading page one. My mistake in not getting all the info before posting.

I think we can all agree that as the adult you surely can find a better way to restrain a violent child rather than with physical violence... and that is what they did. According to the school...

I would like to think so too. But, I have seen so many totally ruthless children of all ages who have to be physically restrained in some form that is painless to them. If the child is not malleable then no amount of adults can control the child non-physically. I speak from experience with my teen-daughter who has always been ruthlessly self-orientated no matter how well I tried to raise her. If a child is focused solely on what they Intend and do not care about any consequences, then you cannot change their mind and are left to deal with the actions.

I agree with the remainder of your reply.

edit on 17-12-2010 by Tayesin because: Brain asleep now

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MBF

I think even back in those days duct-taping a childs hands would be a no-no. I remember the paddle. They really should use it more often these days. It worked wonders and I had it used on me many times. Act up and get marched into the hallway, hands against the wall and get 3 swats. When you walk in crying and someone laughs, they are next up to step out in the hall. A few times of that and everyone was on their best behavior.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join