It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windsor woman meets Santa in snowbank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Windsor woman meets Santa in snowbank

www.windsorstar.com

On Monday, Mayea was driving home to Tecumseh from her part-time job at the Real Canadian Superstore on Walker Road. Due to the poor road conditions following Sunday's snowstorm, she spun out on County Road 42, causing her to veer into the westbound lane and spin into a snowdrift. Mayea's car was stuck, and when she got out to wave for help, no one stopped.

Read more: www.windsorstar.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I know some might not think this is the appropriate place for this story, but in the face of all the crap that goes on around the world daily, and the general flogging most rich folks get, people need to see that life isn't always about the world's lowest life forms.

All I can say is that if everyone could do a bit of this each day, the world would be a much better place

Happy holidays everyone, and in this season, try Payin' It Forward if you can.

www.windsorstar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Good free advertizing for the dealer.
I know, I know, I'm a sinick...

Good wheels are a must in this part of the planet.
I'm glad to hear one more accident went home without a trophy

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
awesome story, looks like there's still hope for the human race after all haha

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I love my city

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d4a4c12e89a8.jpg[/atsimg]

Great story, thanks for posting it, there are good people everywhere who do for others, nice to read some good news for a change..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Oh, the good old altruism with no direct benefits.

It is a nice story, and it is nice that the man stopped to help, but there are two things that I have to wonder whenever I hear about acts like this:

a) has the man studied enough evolutionary sociology and/or psychology to know that people claim that altruism for no reward is often suggested not to exist and

b) If he didn't know that people claim that altruism is never truly altruistic, would he still have done what he did?

It depresses me that I think like this, but I for one know that when I read that altruism was always for some sort of reward, I reacted to the statement by helping strangers. Then I read that an intrinsic or emotional reward is still a reward, it's just not as easy to quantify.

Somehow, the reward is reduced by knowing that it's there.

Back on topic, regardless of his motives - or lack thereof - for this random act of kindness, hooray for random acts of kindness!

edit on 16/12/2010 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

That actually made me shed soul happy tears.

Thank you!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
What makes this an even cooler story is that Windsor has been without a doubt one of the hardest hit areas economically in Canada over the past few years.

When somebody does something such as this in such an economically depressed area, it lifts a whole lot of spirits.

I haven't got a lot of jingle in my pockets, but if I ever met the gent who did this, I'd glady raise a glass with him . . . no doubt about it.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

You're very welcome!!!

By the way, your avatar kills me . . . got two mutts of my own who give me the same sheepish look right after they've nudged my supper off the counter.

Happy holidays, bub.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill
Oh, the good old altruism with no direct benefits.

It is a nice story, and it is nice that the man stopped to help, but there are two things that I have to wonder whenever I hear about acts like this:

a) has the man studied enough evolutionary sociology and/or psychology to know that people claim that altruism for no reward is often suggested not to exist and

b) If he didn't know that people claim that altruism is never truly altruistic, would he still have done what he did?

It depresses me that I think like this, but I for one know that when I read that altruism was always for some sort of reward, I reacted to the statement by helping strangers. Then I read that an intrinsic or emotional reward is still a reward, it's just not as easy to quantify.

Somehow, the reward is reduced by knowing that it's there.

Back on topic, regardless of his motives - or lack thereof - for this random act of kindness, hooray for random acts of kindness!

edit on 16/12/2010 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

The solution for your problem is you should commit an act of kindness yourself. Whoever suggested that true Altruism does not exist is likely a sociopath that can't fathom most of us are not.

OP,
Thanks so much. That story cheered me up. It's sad we don't see more such stories in the news.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. It's good to know that there are still some good people out there.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I think you missed my point - I DO help strangers - not in any major way like the guy in this story did, but in a way that brings no obvious benefit to myself and yet does bring (small) benefits to people I will never meet again - but my problem is the evolutionary psychologists have now pointed out (I say now... quite some time ago, really) that rewards may be psychological, to make oneself feel better. In this instance, the feeling better was about there being no true altruism.

Point is, whether they're right or wrong, evolutionary psychologists are wearing away at my tendency to be nice to other people. It's almost as bad as the (pre-reformation) catholic church (and some modern protestant churches) guilting people into being nice.

So kudos to the guy, and BOO to the evolutionary psychologists for being know-it-alls

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Honestly, doing something for someone else is it's own reward!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

And so you see my problem! I (or others) can never do something nice without there being a reward, because doing something nice is a reward!

So if I'm being nice because it makes me feel less selfish, but I know that I'm being nice because of selfish reasons (it is intrinsically rewarding), so I don't feel less selfish!

And I go around in circles.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Refreshing to see that there are still some people in the world who help others and want nothing in return... Theres hope yet for humanity...

new topics

top topics

join