It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexist Female Oppression? Cleavage In The Workplace

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Yes, because all women *enjoy* men staring after us likes dogs after a piece of meat. *rolls eyes*

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

actually, i wasn't speaking specifically to you. the parts where i'm saying you, are in general towards all women. dont flatter yourself. i have no clue what you look like nor any desire to know.
and i don't mean that in a mean way.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
reply to post by Aeons

actually, i wasn't speaking specifically to you. the parts where i'm saying you, are in general towards all women. dont flatter yourself. i have no clue what you look like nor any desire to know.
and i don't mean that in a mean way.

Oh - your angry at all women, not just me, because you feel unable to control yourself.

That's MUCH better.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

then don't wear tight revealing clothes. it's pretty simple really.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

This is a simple and easy one. You want to wear low cut tops and flashy attire at work, then don't dare to be angry or piffed or annoyed or anything when someone comments on them. You want to make them an observation, then people should be able to observe.

Man or woman, nice or mean.

For example:

"he candice! nice tits today!..looking swell!"

or

"damn, whos the lucky guy that gets to knock them bad boys around?"

or

"Heeeey candice, those fun bags are looking a little saaaaggy, maybe a push up bra next time?..please?"

Only seems fair to me.

All fair observations if you are going to make a spectacle about yourself. And lets not be fools here. Everyone knows dudes like/ love cleavage. In part, its what attracts men to females. So if we all understand that is a natural thing and you are still willing to put up with the comments; then by all means show us what ya got!

Just better not hear of any sexual harrasment charges.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

huh? who's angry? this thread is about women feeling oppressed by employers who pass them up for promotion for showing too much cleavage. it's pretty obvious that if women don't want to be passed up, or stared at, they should cover up. it's a work place, not a play place. i'm not mad about anything.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Not reading through 8 pages of replies, so I am probably covering ground that has already been trodden upon.

But I am fine with women showing cleavage in the workplace. Just as long as rules are put into place that will keep me from being fired or sued if I happen to notice said cleavage.

Guys tend to stare at boobs. It's just a fact of life. So if boobs are to be displayed, prominently, then sexual harassment laws need to be altered to allow for this reaction.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

You should review the language you've used when describing these women you are talking about. The bonhomme routine really doesn't hide it from anyone but you.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

dressing with tight and/or revealing clothes at work is slutty. there's no way around that. this idea that men can't call it out like that without "hating women" is ridiculous. i love women, i love various types and sizes. what i don't love is women dressing in a manner intended and full knowing it to be attention grabbing to their sexuality, and then castigating men who dare to gaze upon them. especially in a work environment. that's not unreasonable. it's slutty and no they shouldn't be promoted if they're going to dress like that. keep your misogynist comments to yourself. k?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I dare the men on here with the problems (and Annee of course) to go find some pictures on the interwebz of big breasted women dressed in an "acceptable" manner to your mind.

This should be educational.

link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
One of our clients is a manager at a public utility, she's a mom, but she's smokin' hot. She always wears sexy outfits and has an amazing figure.

To be honest, it's a total distraction, and I feel it's unprofessional. That would be like some Tall-Dark-and-Handsome man walking into an office full of females, and he's wearing some really suave/dapper outfit - productivity in the office drops fast.

Don't get me wrong, my primeval male eyes like it, but my modern inner professional doesn't.

edit on 16-12-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

that's pretty much the truth/bottom line right there!

because pretty much ANY guy WILL be distracted by that as there mind shuts down and only focuses on THEM lol ... which when your trying to be serious and focus on the job this is obviously a bad thing.

i honestly don't get how the OP cannot see this. for this reason alone showing (to much) cleavage is obviously a bad thing.

THIS is hands down the primary reason against showing (to much) cleavage.

EDIT: i completely agree with Death_Kron. because his post comes back to the general point i am making with the 'distracting guys/unprofessional' type stuff.

On the serious side, this really should be a non-issue. People should be allowed to wear whatever they damn well please as long as a) They're not wearing nothing but leather tangas or BDSM-outfits at work, and b) They do their job well. Politicians love to brag about how we live in a free and open society. I think that should be true in the workplace dress code department as well. Let's try and show a bit of openness here. To each their own, as they say. As long as you're comfortable in what you're wearing, you do a better job - and as long as that's the case, then it's all fine. In my opinion.

primary reason i completely disagree is because it's a complete distraction for guys especially in cases where it's just practically FALLING OUT as you can't think about nothing but the breasts. (i.e. stops you from doing your job as you can't think all that well if THEY are just RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.
edit on 17-12-2010 by ThaCrip because: (no reason given)

link   
I feel compelled to reply as I don't agree with the OP in the slightest and firstly I'd like to point out that I'm a red blooded male who enjoys breasts of all shapes and sizes.

Believe it or not, you go to work to work. It's not a beauty or talent contest and with that in mind, unless your job requires you to show off your physical assets, you should show professional restraint and common courtesy by dressing appropriately.

All this female talk of "I love my breasts and showing them off" is rubbish, I quite like my arms actually, in particular my right arm as I have a tattoo there, that doesn't mean I turn up to a customers site wearing a vest does it?

Just for the sake of the argument, an ugly woman displaying her chest would be an unwelcome and off putting distraction, a beautiful woman displaying her chest would also be an unwelcome (at that particular setting) and an off putting distraction.

Personally, I enjoy making myself look smart and presentable at work and I imagine it's the same for many women but they can achieve this without displaying flesh.

There were two females on my previous team at work and whenever I saw them at team meetings, events, training courses etc they always looked smart and clean but neither was showing off their chests. It's called professionalism....

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I don't mind women showing off their cleavage. No, really.

On the serious side, this really should be a non-issue. People should be allowed to wear whatever they damn well please as long as a) They're not wearing nothing but leather tangas or BDSM-outfits at work, and b) They do their job well. Politicians love to brag about how we live in a free and open society. I think that should be true in the workplace dress code department as well.

Let's try and show a bit of that openness here. To each their own, as they say.
As long as you're comfortable in what you're wearing, then you do a better job than if you have to wear something you're not comfortable in - and as long as that's the case, then it's all fine. In my opinion.
edit on 17-12-2010 by David_Reale because: (no reason given)

link   

I agree with your sentiment, but at the same time, leering after a woman for more than five seconds is just as much your lack of control as it is her dressing a bit inappropriately. You are responsible for your behavior; it's unreasonable to put the blame entirely on the woman.
edit on 17-12-2010 by gnosticquasar because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Ausar
this thread is a mockery to mens sexual natures.

if you feel oppressed go find a job where there are not men that are interested in seeing your cleavage if you feel it is necessary to feel comfortable at work wearing revealing clothes. im sure you wouldnt find oppression in such an environment.
I personally am just debating a topic, my personal work situation is not uo for debate. But I don't see the mockery with my thread. Would you mind explaining how this is mocking mens sexual natures?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This is a bit of a touchy subject!
On the one hand we have to take the corporate training modules every year, telling us about appropriate workplace behaviour, what we can say and do and what we can't, and on the other hand it's a natural reaction to react to a pleasantly presented member of the opposite sex.
I find it rather ironic that at the campus where I work, we have an HR manager, of all people, who dresses like a high class hooker all the time - 5 inch heeled stilettos, short skirts, tight fitting tops etc. The whole package just screams "LOOK AT ME". However, she complained a few weeks back about some contractors working nearby for wolf whistling at her...

I'm not saying females at the office should dress in formless ankle length sackcloth, but if they put it all on display for effect, they should expect that people are naturally going to look.
The whole male thing with shapr suits etc is, in my humble opinion, just for show anyway. I have seen those suits make ridiculous decisions over the years but the dress seems to be there to imply confidence and competence.... it does neither. Case in point - Bankers - sharp suits but untrustworthy and obviously incapable of making right decisions!

Personal opinion.... it's the person's ability to do the job that matters, not the way they dress and anyway, a wazzle pair of jugs tends to brighten up the working day at the office!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Women being attractive makes some men incapable of controlling themselves, which makes them angry, and that must be your fault. Your DOING something to them. Mocking their self-control.

Weak men are so sad.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

i don't recall saying how long i looked at women with revealing clothing choices, nor if i "leered" at them.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Hey, I like a guy in a nice crisp shirt and a nice pair of slack bending over the meeting table to get a handout.

The slut - you know he's just flaunting it to get my attention!

No more tailor slacks to distract me when I'm supposed to be brainstorming.

(and yes....he really did distract me. I had to think real quick to pretend I was listening when he asked me a question 20 seconds later.)
edit on 2010/12/17 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I think it has something to do with the fact that you want a privilege that men do not have (showing off intimate parts of your body) at work. One that is well known to be a distraction for men yet you don't want anyone to take notice of your "assets" when judging your ability as a worker. You want to be equal without being equal.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join