It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexist Female Oppression? Cleavage In The Workplace

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

So taking this to it's logical conclusion, if you feel it is acceptable for women to dress provocatively (short skirts, low cut tops etc) then firstly, what do you do when you actually attract attention for those assets of yours? If you're inviting the attention, then surely one cannot then bemoan men looking and commenting, which normally would be skirting on sexual harrassment?

Secondly, I assume that because you feel it is ok to dress this way, then you would have no problem with men wearing type fitting trousers to show off their tackle? After all, my penis is a part of me and I love my penis, it is are a part of me I refuse to hide, I want to show it off to everyone! Or would me parading around the office with my bulge on display be seen as vulgar?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae

Originally posted by SLAYER69
OK I'm starting think that this thread is a way to fish out those MeMbers with large cleavage.

Well played.

Oh bugger....I didn't think of that before opening my big gob....as usual!

Since this thread does seem to be on a "fishing"trip,I will bite!
When I was younger,I liked to show off my 40D's.Now,I am older
and have to hide my 44D's due to gravity!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
Men in most offices are required to wear trousers and a shirt. where as women can get away with wearing casual clothes.

the requirement for men to dress a certain way by business when on business time, is oppressive to men.

Indeed. It is a point we actually raised where I work which resulted in the dress code being relaxed wholesale. Previously we were required to wear shirt and ties, trousers and shoes. The women, well, they could wear whatever they pleased! Low cut tops, short skirts, knee high boots. Alot of them looked very nice, granted, but there was plenty of scope for them to dress as they saw fit, whereas us men HAD to wear the standard business attire.

Like I said, we kicked up a fuss and now everyone can wear "smart casual". Score one for men!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
My wife has a nice rack. DD's to be exact.

I'm telling you now she has one helluva time finding a shirt that does her justice. I tell her, "hey, ya gottem. show'em off".

Micro mini skirts that can show the bottom of your panties or a T back peaking above your pants? Thats too much.

We guys like to look. WE HAVE NO CHOICE. We're men. Do we have to be rude about it?

No. Some women are self-conscious about something they can do nothing about.

Tater, your like my wife. Your a strong woman and BY GOD, YOU AINT HIDIN' IT!

If any of you have ever had the pleasure of watching the BBC "Coupling", you will remember this episode.

Steve's rant sum's it up. go to 4:22.

www.youtube.com...

guys are on a quest to see more bottoms.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
As a woman with fairly large cleavage, Its very hard to cover the girls up, unless you bind your self. I think it is sexist we can't help our breast size, so why should we be condemned because our genetics make us a little top heavy.

I have a friend who is a DDD (was a G) and the only way she can cover them up is wearing baggy clothing and that's just unprofessional.

That is such an excuse.

Ever heard of a tailor? There are many body types that off the rack clothes don't fit correctly.

It is not that difficult to find a reasonably priced tailor/seamstress.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

People need to get over cleavage already! ALL women have breasts, (well, most do), and it should be MY choice how I want to dress or display my cleavage.

Men must be very frightnened of the power of the breast if they are passing cleavage minded woemn over for promotions, simply due to cleavage baring!!

Thoughts?

You don't see men walking around with their penis or testicles hanging out, do you? Why should women get away with parading body parts around? I'd pass a woman up for promotion for showing too much cleavage if I were in the position, on principle if anything else.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Much too many skeletons in my past, I wouldn't trust anybody! Not my brother, friends, neighbors, and ESPECIALLY not teenage boys!

I was right. I have too little boys. Nothing against girls, because I have all the respect in the world for the parents of little girls, I don't think I could handle it.

Dude, I have a little girl (7 now) and two boys.. I can tell you I am not going to be an easy father when she gets to her teen years. I know full well what teenage boys are like! I have maintained that I will behave similiar to the two dudes in Bad Boys 2 when the young chap turns up to the hosue to pick up the daughter for a date.

I've already told Alannah she's not having boyfriends till she's 21 and even then, they MUST be vetted by me first... I know I'm dreaming and I'll have little control, but a fathers love for his little princess is pretty damned strong!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I prefer not to see cleavage in the office. It makes both males and females uncomfortable, and is better left to private time, and time away from the office. I was considering asking a female receptionist to change one day, and happened to ask a male employee what he thought about her top, as I wanted someone else's opinion. He said actually he had been too embarrested all morning to look at her, after his initial glimpse.

I explained to her that she is in an administrative position, and requested that she wear "office-wear".
I don't think it's oppressive, I think it's just respectful to dress in a more business attire, when in an office.
Our business is about our business, not being sexy, which is the message it sends.

Save the cleavage for the evening, if that's what you like, imo.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

Originally posted by caitlinfae

Originally posted by SLAYER69
OK I'm starting think that this thread is a way to fish out those MeMbers with large cleavage.

Well played.

Oh bugger....I didn't think of that before opening my big gob....as usual!

Since this thread does seem to be on a "fishing"trip,I will bite!
When I was younger,I liked to show off my 40D's.Now,I am older
and have to hide my 44D's due to gravity!

I'm thinking..... Running down the legs and firmly tucked into socks: P

Men have the same problem yet on a smaller scale.

Gravity plays havoc on the body.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
LINK
Being asked to cover up my cleavage, when the office does not require uniforms, is oppressive, and a conspiracy against women. Women have breasts. Some women, like me, have rather large breasts. I love my breasts, they are a part of me I refuse to hide them. Many of my shirts are V cut, because I enjoy showcasing my best assetts, and I would hope that my work would be what people judge, not my breasts.

I respect your opinion but I have to disagree, this is no different than males that feel their facial hair is their best asset but have to shave or to males that feel their long schlong dong is their best asset but have to wear pants around the office.

When you agree to work for someone you agree to abide by their code of dress, it is not oppression of women to ask her to cover her clevage, it is protecting the right of others who do not want to have to feel uncomfortable when your "assets" are on display.

If you want to show your assets off in the workplace there are many jobs where this is possible... but not many where the company is trying to portray a professional neutral image. Showing what some consider to be a sexual organ is not a neutral image.

But as a male I can also say I am defintely not offended when breasts are on display.
edit on 16-12-2010 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Good Luck Stu!!

Remember, the threats are only credible if you mean them! Hopefully if your commitment comes across strong enough, then the little monsters will be deterred, and you will never have to make good on your threats!

I don't envy you, if she's 7, then you have a good 5 to 10 years to start paying on that legal defense retainer.

Edit to add:
Just reading this thread is probably giving you shivers up your spine, and having you thinking of sneaking into her closet and having a second look at the wardrobe!

edit on 16-12-2010 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Personally, here is how I feel. Being asked to cover up my cleavage, when the office does not require uniforms, is oppressive, and a conspiracy against women. Women have breasts. Some women, like me, have rather large breasts. I love my breasts, they are a part of me I refuse to hide them. Many of my shirts are V cut, because I enjoy showcasing my best assetts, and I would hope that my work would be what people judge, not my breasts.

Oh you got to be kidding me....oppressed??? Please...asking to dress to cover up socially accepted naughty bits isn't being oppressed.

Would you mind if I walked around the office with just a little bit of my zipper down...just to show some of my scrotum. I'm quit proud of my scrotum...I love my scrotum...if you get to show part of your breasts...why can't I show part of my scrotum???

Let's face facts here...you and other women who want to show their breats in the office do so for one reason...you are trying to use sex appeal to further your career. How about trying to use your skills instead of just trying to get a promotion by having your tata's hanging out???

Don't get me wrong...I love looking at women's cleavage...and I will look if you are showing...and I'll also make assumptions about you that would probably offend you.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Haha, trust me, when some spotty oik turns up at the door to "court" my daughter, the threats will be vivid and will be meant! It's the only langauge testosterone filled young men understand! If he plays ball and acts a gentleman, then there will be no issue. If he makes me a grandfather before I am 40, then I will kick his arse!

At the moment, she only wants to dress in pink fluffy stuff, but it is only a few years before peer pressure to look "grown up" starts to kick in, so I have been priming her already that she musn't try to "fit in" at the expense of her own well-being.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

hmm how can i say this without coming off mean. I guess it would matter if your fat and out of shape sporting big cellulite boobs cause your a big girl or your a in shape girl who just naturally has big ta ta's.

So which are you?

edit on 16-12-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Let's face facts here...you and other women who want to show their breasts in the office do so for one reason...you are trying to use sex appeal to further your career. How about trying to use your skills instead of just trying to get a promotion by having your tata's hanging out???

You are partly right.

Actually - I'd say its more about the attention. Attention is Attention. Attention can also be about making the 40+ co-worker jealous.

I've always told my kids (and grandkids) - "you are judged by your appearance - in the first 3 seconds". This IS a look oriented world - - whether any one wants to accept it or not.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Not to go off topic but....

Times have changed, hell more often than not its the younger girls pressuring younger guys into sexual activities.

I know its your daughter but the little girls are innocent victims to the young male hitting puberty charade doesn't hold up a lot of times in this day and age.
edit on 16-12-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
As a woman...I always find it very very interesting when women say "Its just a breast, everyone has them" yet they feel the need to be "proud of them" or "show them off".

Which is it? They are either nothing, just another body part. Or they are deemed a sexual object.

Or another thing that makes me roll my eyes.....

Women who love to show them off but get mad when men focus on them.

Poor guys...yall cant win can you?

edit on December 16th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

Bravo...I love this post.

But just as a note...we don't care if the women get mad for looking at their brest if they are letting them hang out. There is always that chance they get mad enough to stomp their foot...and then maybe we get a jiggle...or they cross their arms, because they think this covers them up, and they just push them together.

No need to feel sorry for us guys...believe me...we entertain ourselves

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

Agreed, but at least I can be confident she has had a solid and sensible education when it comes to that sort of thing, whereas I don't know one spotty oik from another, or what they have in mind. I have the advantage of also being a horny, testosterone filled guy so at least I have experience as to what men think like!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Xiamara
As a woman with fairly large cleavage, Its very hard to cover the girls up, unless you bind your self. I think it is sexist we can't help our breast size, so why should we be condemned because our genetics make us a little top heavy.

I have a friend who is a DDD (was a G) and the only way she can cover them up is wearing baggy clothing and that's just unprofessional.

That is such an excuse.

Ever heard of a tailor? There are many body types that off the rack clothes don't fit correctly.

It is not that difficult to find a reasonably priced tailor/seamstress.

Off the rack is an impossibility for my wife in most cases. She's a size 12 and 5'3. Thick and German/Scot!

Cheap tailor is an oxmoron around here. Used to be old ladies everywhere that were seamstresses. Not many about the place nowadays.

Her thing is trying to find a button up blouse that doesnt pucker twinx the Girls. She looks killer in a dress though!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Women who love to show them off but get mad when men focus on them.

I think I saw a woman's t-shirt that said, "Hey, my eyes are up here!"

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join