It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexist Female Oppression? Cleavage In The Workplace

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

i'm not hbt tho. nothing wrong with decorum, within reason, but even 300 years ago, women weren't expected to cover nearly every last inch of their skin in fabric (although they still managed to use alot more fabric than we do today).

we've actually managed to get alot more freaked out about boobs, than most of recorded history. what else would explain that other than perception?
edit on 21-12-2010 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Well said.

Who's to blame for women feeling self-conscious about their breasts? Men.
Who's to blame for women not being allowed to show their assets? Men.
Who's responsible for forcing women to dress appropriately? Men.

It seems this thread is yet another one demanding special treatment for half the population while not accepting the responsibilities that are supposed to accompany it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Be careful not to offend anyone by showing off too much humor!

A healthy & pleasant work environment = better productivity, and yes a line needs to be drawn when harassement comes into play, whether sexual or verbal. But I guess it's more often just misplaced jealousy (female & male) that's the reason to all these offended souls

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

that's just the thing. why such consequences for something quite natural and not meant to be harmful? they weren't designed to be evil, distracting women bits, so why are they perceived to be evil? they weren't designed to be sexual, so why are they perceived to be sexual?
i know you can't answer these questions to my satisfaction, so don't bother.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by smalco
reply to post by Annee

Be careful not to offend anyone by showing off too much humor!

A healthy & pleasant work environment = better productivity, and yes a line needs to be drawn when harassement comes into play, whether sexual or verbal. But I guess it's more often just misplaced jealousy (female & male) that's the reason to all these offended souls

True. I was lucky enough to work at a publishing company where you could wear shorts and tank tops. Of course I also worked in Corporate Los Angeles - - but I had fun with that too wearing designer clothes. Then hubby and I had our own business for 20 years (no employees).

Business politics is tricky. I never was very good at it. I am not the office gossipy type - - and I go to the bathroom alone. I've actually had women get mad at me because I wouldn't gossip.

If you can keep a casual productive atmosphere - - that's great.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

i'm not hbt tho. nothing wrong with decorum, within reason, but even 300 years ago, women weren't expected to cover nearly every last inch of their skin in fabric (although they still managed to use alot more fabric than we do today).

we've actually managed to get alot more freaked out about boobs, than most of recorded history. what else would explain that other than perception?

Oh please. 300 years ago most women in the world could only dream of the rights and freedoms they (rightfully) enjoy today. Gigantic progress has been made in terms of rights, opportunities and freedoms.

Is the West forcing women to cover every part of their bodies? No.
Are women treated like property in Western countries? No.
Are women who don't wear full-body coverings attacked by packs of wolves? No.
Women are simply asked to cover up areas that are obviously sexually enticing to the opposite sex. The same is expected of men when working in a professional environment.

The only actual form of oppression suggested in this thread is the expectation that 50% of the population should change their nature, suppress their physiological reactions and ignore their basic instincts so that the other 50% of the population can wear fewer and fewer clothes in the workplace.
edit on 21/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: spelling

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

they weren't designed to be sexual, so why are they perceived to be sexual?

This is incorrect. Google "Breasts and sex", or just check out "Breast" on Wiki. You will see that this is wrong. I can't link to any of these sites as they violate the T&C, even Wiki.

i know you can't answer these questions to my satisfaction, so don't bother.

I bothered and I did.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

The only actual form of oppression suggested in this thread is the expectation that 50% of the population should change their nature, suppress their physiological reactions and ignore their basic instincts so that the other 50% of the population can wear fewer and fewer clothes in the workplace.

but this same rational leads to this:

a man stands to be unduly tempted by catching a glimpse of a woman's hair in iran.
in saudi, it's a glimpse of a wrist
and in taliban territory, even a woman's face is covered. head to toe burkha.
if the trend is to become more and more conservative in the work place dress code, where's does that end?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

actually, gray's anatomy would be a better source. men also have mammary glands, but they don't swell and gorge and so forth, due to the pituitary gland not sending the necessary hormones to the area. they are considered milk producing generative glands.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Google the above and you will see that you are wrong. Don't link though, like I said, even Wiki had boobs there and that's against the T&C.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

. . . they weren't designed to be sexual, so why are they perceived to be sexual?

A woman claiming breasts aren't designed to be sexual? Really? And you believe that?

Did you miss the part about "Monkey Butts"?

Trust me - I'm not making that up. Check out the T-shirt: www.cafepress.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

it's a matter of degrees. some men think hair is sexual, or wrists, or feet or calves or necks, or lips. your lips aren't sexual but they can be used in the same way breasts can during sex. we aren't freakin' out and covering our lips up. this has got to be a perception and projection issue. i can't think of any other reason

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris

When we were all apes, we always had sex doggy style so males were attracted to butts. As we evolved and face to face sex became more common, the shape of breasts became a frontal imitation of monkey butt. The larger the breasts, the more butt-like they are.

It's science!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
How about this....it's so unbelieveably simple....if women don't like working in an environment where they have to cover up their bits in a respectful and professional manner.....then don't work there.

Problem solved.

Oh...and as for freedom to 'wear whatever they want' then feel 'free' to find another job where you can get away with 'wearing whatever you want'.....that's freedom for you, remember girls you wouldn't have that freedom in some counties.

Just count yourself lucky you have a job in this encommic climate, remember you ARE just a number in the workplace and VERY replaceable so you shouldn't push it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

and that explains lips too? i think it's just anywhere there's a sensitive spot, is construed as sexual and therefore evil. but we have specific hang ups vs. some cultures that pretty much think the entire female should be off limits, visually and even audibly

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Traydor

are you threatening me ?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

...construed as sexual and therefore evil...

Who said anything that was sexual was "evil"? It's not. We're talking about decorum in the workplace. I think, it keeps changing.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

You are using the existence of extremes and anomalies to justify an illogical stance on this issue. (The author of this topic does not live in a Religious Theocracy, by the way.) Both women and men should be mature and responsible enough to dress in a manner that is professional and appropriate without moaning about being oppressed because they can't expose their assets.

edit on 21/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: clarity

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Please explain how this is all about you? If you are not able to recognise simple fact then you have some issues to work out. What i said is not threatening at all (how you think this is anyone's guess) and how did you manage to make what i said to be threatening you specifically?

You need to learn some perspective and not think everyone is out to 'get you'. The 'poor-little-me' act is not muture and does not deserve any respect.
edit on 21/12/2010 by Traydor because: spelling mistake

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

evil in this case, is defined as distracting unfairly and inappropriately, by physical appearance, resulting in lack of productivity

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join