It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexist Female Oppression? Cleavage In The Workplace

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
If cleavage is available for viewing.
I will view it, and probably waste some valuable work time doing so.
After all, that is it's secondary purpose.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
What a bunch of horrible machos.

My personal opinion is that if you are offended by some cleavage or a mini-skirt, you are probably a crypto-rapist, or a religious extremist, and actually, oftentimes both are linked.

In any case, have a double plus good day! (Living 8 hours per day in an orwellian environment where the internet is more censored than in China...)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Many large men have cleavage.

If you're okay with Women showing off their cleavage than you should also be fine with fat men and plunging necklines (I'm sure you'd hate to "oppress" them).

If one is unprofessional why isn't the other?

edit on 17-12-2010 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by janon

Originally posted by Aeons

Originally posted by janon
Also, it's easy to find nicely dressed professional women on the internet. Google images of "female politicians" for starters

Please, post the nice looking one's with breasts large enough to be an issue so that we can see these examples of women appropriately dressed so as not to entice you.

Large enough to be an issue? Have you been reading this thread? This is about CLOTHING not breast size.

Hey.....this is another GREAT point!!

I once worked with a girl that had no breasts whatsoever. She was very attractive, and she had a tattoo on her breast bone that drew a lot of attention to the area. She wore a lot of plunging necklines, but none of her supervisors were willing to make her cover it up, because there was no cleavage to be seen.

I felt that it was unfair and equally distracting. My eyes were often drawn to the general area, especially with the tattoo attracting attention. I found her attractive (I'm not really a boob man anyway), and it was unfair that she was able to dress in that provocative way, while other women were sent home for less revealing clothes, simply because they had more cleavage.

So, in short, SIZE DOES MATTER! A male can be attracted to a flat chested woman showing a lot of skin, vs. a large breasted woman showing very little.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I think it's just a case of people getting sick of women using their bodies to get to a top slot. Sexism can work both ways and a lot of women use this for their own gain.

So in a sense, I support this rule. You should be promoted on talent and not because you have big/small boobs.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by oniris
What a bunch of horrible machos.

My personal opinion is that if you are offended by some cleavage or a mini-skirt, you are probably a crypto-rapist, or a religious extremist, and actually, oftentimes both are linked.

In any case, have a double plus good day! (Living 8 hours per day in an orwellian environment where the internet is more censored than in China...)

Wow see this is the problem with some modern feminists, they are not feminists they are man haters. I think you'll find there are women here saying cleavage shouldn't be shown at work, are these women not feminists? Are they religious extremists or cryto-rapists as you put it. Typical behavior of the modern feminist movement, you want all the good parts and none of the bad. It seems whenever a woman is told no then it's oppression, when a man is told no then that is fine.

Women are not being asked to do something that men don't have to do, men are asked to dress in an appropriate manner at work, women are being asked to do the same so where exactly is the oppression? Men here are not saying they are bothered by cleavage, most of us rather like it! Some are simply pointing out the expected rules in a work environment that apply to both men and women. Outside of work then feel free to show as much of your chest as possible, you won't hear men complaining

Crypto-rapist?

What complete nonsense.
edit on 17-12-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It is work, so like everyone, you have to dress appropriately. Us men have to dress appropriately, and so should women.

As far as showing off cleavage, a little is fine, but too much is too distracting. I love looking at women, but not when I am working, although a hot babe is a hot babe, no matter how she dresses.

I guess I would be upset if I had to hide my blue peepers, even though there are times when they get me more attention than is appropriate.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Women actually have a lot more leeway than Men in what's considered appropriate business attire. You think not showing too much cleavage is restricting, try having to wear a tie cinched tightly around your neck!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
If a guy dressed like a lounge lizard with 4 buttons undone showing his big, hairy chest and chains, he might not be thought of as promotion material either.

What is the purpose of showing off your cleavage at work?
Do you go to funerals dressed like that? Every situation expects a little bit of decorum.

As a feminist, going waaaay back, women need to learn to pick their battles and deal with the reality of the situation. There still is huge sexism in the workplace. Being judged on the merit of your work should be the main focus.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Personally, I've seen the opposite results in the business world. Young attractive women who display cleavage simply get ahead, even with a marked lack of skill or talent. In one job I had, such a gal often even got the guys (who were generally older), to do her work for her even. I even fell for it, for about two days, before recognizing it for what it was, which then just ticked me off and made me immune, hehe...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
So, in your experience, as employees, employers, coworkers, men and women, what do you think? Should women be allowed to show cleavage in the workplace? Is asking a female to not show cleavage oppressive, or sexist?

I think women should be allowed to dress how they want, keeping in mind that the more they show the more attention they may / will receive from us males.

As far as asking women can you not show your cleavage at work being oppressive or sexist, in some ways it is oppressive because its forcing the femals to dress a certain way to keep some type of male coworkers happy???. Flat out some men are wierd like that is all um a say bout that. But most hetro. men wouldnt mind and would enjoy seeing the "eye candy" (again the attention factor ladies must be acknowledged). So if the woman who is dressing how she wants can take the extra attention then let her do her I dont mind. I do work in an engineering firm and seldomly see any cleavage do to the professionalism the ladies up hold..
Peace and take care of dem uh yea you get were I am comming from ladies

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Sorry OP, but in the ranking of oppressive things the world over, insisting women dress professionally if they want to advance hardly fits any definition of oppression.

Even by your own post you make clear no one is forbidding you from being an exhibitionist (though it is your bosses right to have some dress standards), so flaunting your "best" asset that you are so proud of is your choice. I am guessing that you are writing here for exhibitionist effect among the largely male readers of ATS. That's why you go to a great extent to talk about how fabulous your breast are, so much so that you -- in your free will and admission -- actively "showcase" them at work. In other words, you are explicitly calling for attention since you are explicitly wanting to show them off.

There are times and places for things, even exhibitionism (I love a good nude beach), but at work during work hours is not the place...at least not if you are a serious person. I'm in good shape, but I don't wear a button down shirt unbuttoned to highlight my pecs. And all my adult life women have said I have the perfect c _ _ k (yeah for me), but I don't dangle it out there at work like a lure on a line.

Go for it, but stop whining about the consequences. And if you don't like, fine, go be a stripper where you'll be rewarded and encouraged for displaying your best asset.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I have to agree, sometimes it is difficult to cover up the girls even when you arent wearing a plunging neckline. I have very large breasts (by choice, so I'm not complaining), but I can see if a woman had very large natural breasts, it is VERY hard to cover them up regardless of what you wear.

I think this is part of the issue here. Some women just cant hide them. To pass over a woman because of the size of her breasts (and I know its got to happen sometimes) is ridiculous. That being said, I don't think its sexist to expect a woman to dress professionally in the workplace. Men are going to be more drawn to your breasts and distracted if you are showing off your boobs, its just the way it is. I don't think it's right to be passed over for a promotion or whatever because of this, but the fact of the matter is showing off your body like that is seen as unprofessional and you are less likely to be taken seriously.

you might think that is sexist...it may very well be. But thats just the way it is. I'm not saying it's right, but what would you do if a male in the workplace started wearing spandex pants merely to show off his junk?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans
Many large men have cleavage.

If you're okay with Women showing off their cleavage than you should also be fine with fat men and plunging necklines (I'm sure you'd hate to "oppress" them).

If one is unprofessional why isn't the other?

edit on 17-12-2010 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

BeCAUSE DONT NO BODY WANNA SEE NO MENS BREAST.
:
no offense I think
edit on 12/17/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Xavialune

It's not sexist in any way to ask someone to dress professionally! Men are often asked to wear suit and tie, do you have any idea how uncomfortable a tie is all day long, especially in the summer.

When i was self employed and looking to hire someone i did a lot of interviews and i can tell you now, that i absolutely judged people on how they dressed. This wasn't to do with fashion or snobbery it is simple experience that the way people dress for an interview and at work often reflects their attitude to their job. If a man turns up wearing a buttoned down shirt to show off his pecs then that guy is probably not going to work as hard as someone who turns up with a shirt and tie. The reason is simply because one of them is taking the interview seriously and the other one is more concerned about looking good.

I interviewed men and women and i noticed the women showing cleavage tried to flirt, giggle, laughed more etc to try and get the job, the women who covered up their cleavage were straight talking, down to business and definitely someone i would hire. Basically they were professionals.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Western boob fetish is less than a hundred years old. It has DRASTICALLY changed in a very short period of time. Why are you under the impression the current fascination is going to be lasting?

Sounds like you blame women for your inability to control yourself.

Boobs have been the focus of men and women since the beginning of time -- since "Adam and Eve".

In the ET Corn Gods language (hidden in the English Language since the beginning of time), here are some translations of the word "EVE".

Eve = “Love”.
Eve = “Sex Have”.
Eve = “MS Have He”.
Eve = “Ms Have Tit DD Size Show”.
Eve = “Ms Have Tit DD No Bra Show”.
Eve = “Ms Have Tit DD Bra On Show".

See: ufoetblog.com...

And see the websites listed in my Profile.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I think the difference is that women have much better peripheral vision, they can look at a man's crotch while seemingly looking at his eyes. Men can't do this, when they look, they have to "look". If women were cool with this, then it would be ok, but because they get "offended" and men are paranoid that they will appear to be some kind of "creep" - it creates a sense of tension in the workplace. A part of me wants to look, and also make them aware that I am looking, but another part is scared stiff that I will be branded as some kind of predator. But what if they wanted me to look, and become offended if I don't - now thats the world that I would want to live in! On the other side of this, some women are very sexually manipulative, and I purposely deny them of any attention.

edit on 17-12-2010 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
yeah thats what I was saying. you should be expected to dress professionally in the workplace..all jobs are different and expect different types of dress, from casual to very businesslike. But even if your work doesn't require a uniform, you ARE working and if you're working in an office that has casual dress as the norm, let alone business attire, I really don't see the point in showing off your boobs.

But like I said, say a lady works in an office with casual dress. She has a nice figure, and just happens to be blessed with very large boobs. She won't be able to hide it, I know this from experience. As one poster mentioned, the only way you could is with baggy clothes, which is in itself unprofessional looking. So these ladies are really in a lose-lose situation, even if thier neckline is all the way up! I think men and women alike will generally take such a woman less seriously, simply because of her breast size, regardless of whether or not she shows them off. And yeah, thats sexist and something that I don't agree with, but at the same time I realize its something that is ingrained into a lot of people.

So those women with large breasts I think have to work a little harder to be taken seriously, as I think they are often just seen as a pair of boobs. know what I mean? I guess you can't really fully understand unless you actually are a large breasted woman in a workplace. It happens, though.
edit on 17-12-2010 by Xavialune because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

"And there are consequences to everything we do. I think it would best to allow women to dress as they see fit, and face the consequences (prudes and perverts judging on basis of cleavage for job promotions). If some jerk is going to pass me over for a promotion, I doubt my cleavage was the real reason. It imo, boils down to a lack of control from the boss."

After reading more of your posts, as a boss and competent manager, I'd say that if you've been passed up for promotion it is likley because of your crappy in your face and its-me-against-the-world chip on your shoulder attitude. I am 100% certain of this.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

hehehe, I'm a male, and no, I'm not in any way affiliated with the feminist movement. I do think that someone being offended or obfuscated by cleavage have some guilt issues to deal with

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join