It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexist Female Oppression? Cleavage In The Workplace

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Maybe we should make everyone wear long robes?
But then people with pretty faces would still distract their co-workers..
Shuttlecock burqas then maybe?
Pretty hands are also distracting.. Gloves needed.
And a pretty voice! Telepathy?
The thought of telepahtically interacting with a person of the opposite sex is distracting as well..
Crap.. I give up.. We can't win this game.
Eighth line.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Unbelievable.

This is a ridiculous topic.

I'm letting you know my opinion right now. WORK IS FREAKING WORK!!!!

One is supposed to be professional at work.

Cleavage would be distracting and it would seem like the woman is trying to like prove something. I don't know.

Women are strange strange STRANGE creatures. They always S*** talk men, but hey ladies, please take a look at yourself before judging men. For realz.

Now I know why they say it is bad luck to have a woman on board a ship.

*commence the fury and shrieking of women, starting now*

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
One of our clients is a manager at a public utility, she's a mom, but she's smokin' hot. She always wears sexy outfits and has an amazing figure.

To be honest, it's a total distraction, and I feel it's unprofessional. That would be like some Tall-Dark-and-Handsome man walking into an office full of females, and he's wearing some really suave/dapper outfit - productivity in the office drops fast.

Don't get me wrong, my primeval male eyes like it, but my modern inner professional doesn't.

edit on 16-12-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

I'm sorry, but this to me is a daft argument. Do you expect people with attractive bodies to undergo surgery to alter themselves so that they're not so good looking in the workplace?

We have really attractive women in my workplace, as well as not so attractive ones. Many dress in clothing that is figure hugging, and very nice to look at. It doesn't take away the fact that these women are good at their jobs, and I've yet to notice any guys (or gay ladies) stopping work due to looking at these women. Likewise, if an attractive man wears a nice suit, what's that got to do with how other people work? If the person is that attractive, they'll be attractive no matter what they're wearing, be it a skin-tight body suit or a plastic bin liner.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I can understand women not getting promoted if they show their cleavage because it could be deemed as unprofessional. The purpose of breasts, apart from feeding young are to attract a mate so by showing them in the workplace you are basically flirting with every man or lesbian there. That doesn't seem appropriate to me. Especially when you demand to show your breasts and then women get upset when men look, despite that being in our genes.

Can't have it both ways, men have to dress appropriately in the workplace, why should women be any different?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by doogle
I'm sorry, but this to me is a daft argument. Do you expect people with attractive bodies to undergo surgery to alter themselves so that they're not so good looking in the workplace?

We have really attractive women in my workplace, as well as not so attractive ones. Many dress in clothing that is figure hugging, and very nice to look at. It doesn't take away the fact that these women are good at their jobs, and I've yet to notice any guys (or gay ladies) stopping work due to looking at these women. Likewise, if an attractive man wears a nice suit, what's that got to do with how other people work? If the person is that attractive, they'll be attractive no matter what they're wearing, be it a skin-tight body suit or a plastic bin liner.

Appropriate occasion, professionalism, do these thngs mean anything to you? A workplace can demand people stick to certain standards and that can include modest attire. Two people show up for me to hire, one is wearing a suit and the other is wearing a figure hugging lycra outfit, do you really think i'll be hiring the one in lycra? Sorry but no.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
What I meant was, even wearing modest attire, an attractive person will still be attractive.
If I were interviewing the same two people, one in a suit, the other in lycra, I'd still judge them on their merits, and give the job to the one with the better CV, skills and experience, regardless of what they look like.
Granted, whoever gets the job will be given a company policy that included a suitable dress code, but just wearing something daft for the interview wouldn't turn me off hiring somebody immediatly.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

It's not oppression, I'm a weight lifter of 9 years who has has a 47inch chest, Yet I don't go around with half my buttons open flashing my pectorals in the workplace. It's unprofessional and I don't expect my female co-workers to do the same.
edit on 17-12-2010 by Crutchley29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Hotbakedtater why are you so sexist?

And please also answer me this. Why are women so obsessed with sex that they need men to ogle them not only out and about but at work too? Theres a time and a place for it and being a flasher at work is wholly inappropriate. Please go flash your tits to some teenagers in a dark alley like any 'normal' flasher.

There may not be a uniform but there is usually a dress code. Women have it easy compared to men. If I took off my tie I'd be sent home to get it. If I unbuttoned my shirt to show off my man boobs I'd be told to cover up. If I wore a skirt to work I'd be called a tranny and sent home but if a female colleague wears trousers there's no name for her and she gets to stay at work.

If you can show off your boobs because you like them and want to show them to the world I think I should be able to undo my fly and show off my testicles, they're big and I love them.

We live in a sexist world and unfortunately the male of the species is on the receiving end.

Oh why oh why can't we as men have equality in the work place. Men are accused of seeing women as sex objects. If that's true it's your fault because women can't bare not being seen as a sex object.
edit on 17-12-2010 by spookfish because: Added some text sorted typos

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by doogle
What I meant was, even wearing modest attire, an attractive person will still be attractive.
If I were interviewing the same two people, one in a suit, the other in lycra, I'd still judge them on their merits, and give the job to the one with the better CV, skills and experience, regardless of what they look like.
Granted, whoever gets the job will be given a company policy that included a suitable dress code, but just wearing something daft for the interview wouldn't turn me off hiring somebody immediatly.

Well it should turn you off hiring them because it's about attitude. Turning up dressed inappropriately says something about their attitude, willingness to follow rules and work with others. Showing cleavage is all about attracting a mate, no matter how it's twisted that is what it comes down to and in the workplace i would say it is not appropriate. The Christmas party is another matter

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
If a survey affects three thousand managers and statistically arrives at this conclusion over one simple issue, asked point on, then it's up to women to decide if they value those manager decisions, and what they're going to do about it. It could be a question about white teeth, or over-apologizing, or attendance. I don't agree or disagree, I'm only addressing the result. No one said life is fair, those same managers might be the sort that would present dozens of "disqualification points" if questioned deeply, to keep people always categorized and under their thumb, and the actual criteria they would advance someone under might not resemble anything fair or sane. It could also be based on the candidate with the least amounts of negatives.

I think some businesses get so cut-throat that compassion only tempers the "little things" people do, but is left out of anything larger, more impactful or more important. Others adopt the more municipal virtues such as punctuality or cleanliness and develop a quasi-tyranny surrounding them, as a method to control others whom they consider "underlings". Peoples behaviors can also become so habitual over time, that little thought is required to make decisions, thanks to people putting them in a position of importance and failing to check back on developing traits. Sometimes there is no watchdog over them, a blind eye is turned away, and it can even be encouraged behavior in a manager to "weed out" the crop. Your best defense is not to allow it to happen, and failing that, find a better work environment. If that galls too much, just think on the company policy you are otherwise supporting, and the amplified effect on you, repeated day-in, day-out, ad infinitum.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Just reading th OP first thing I wondered was if it would ok for men to wear stocking type pants ...like the ballet? Seems tome that there is no need to make a point of blatant sexual displays in the workplace. Save the deep cut V for after hours. And btw I am female and low cuts clothes at work are just plain tacky.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
So if a male employee stuffed socks down his pants to impress his female boss, would it be sexist for the boss to find that a little pathetic and not promote him?

If a women flashes her tits to get a promotion, then she's the one insulting her colleagues, who may not have great tits, but work hard instead.

How dumb it is to flash your tits then complain that you're not taken seriously (how great it would for women to flash their tits, just cos they want their tits taken seriously - now that i can endorse...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
In this day and age, productivity is mandatory. At work I am trying to do my best to not distract coworkers knwoing that if I was the boss, I wouldn't be too happy to see half the working hours go to chest staring.
If someone came to YOUR house, insisting on showing his buttcrack in the name of oppression, how would you feel? Some nightclubs dont allow hats, mosques dont allow shoes, your place your rules, same applies for work.

I love wearing flattering clothes, but work is work.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I suppose, if one would rather look like a hooker rather than a professional.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong - if women want to show off their bodies , then i'll stand in line - it would certainly make work a lot more fun.

Just don't show your tits, then complain that the wrong people are looking and the right people are not looking!

Tits for tits sake!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Just consider the title of this thread, using the word oppression to get your way is not good practice if you want real equality. This is not oppression it is self centered nonsense and furthermore if your self worth revolves around your cleavage then you need to address that because it's ridiculous. How far are you willing to take this? Why is it only not being able to show cleavage is oppression? What if i, a man wanted to show off my pecs at work, should i be allowed? What if i want to wear shorts to show off my rather nice thighs? Oh and hey what if i want to show my arms off? Suits are oppressive i tell you!

Be a professional, if you want to be taken seriously then dress correctly. At work there are rules and codes, in your private time you can do whatever you like. By labelling this as oppression you diminish the power of the word.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Poor guys...yall cant win can you?

Thanks for your understanding

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Hey, how you do’in?

I am a red blooded male who love’s a bit of boobage and a confident woman but I will try to put aside my raging masculinity to give you a serious answer.

Women are constantly trying to prove themselves in the work place as having the same status as men. As they should, there should be no glass ceiling, no pay differences but at the same time women should meet to the same standards as men. If the work place dictates that you must be dressed formally and smartly, then men, in my experience , are expected to be clean shaven and suited and booted. It is only right that woman in the quest for “equality” meet similar standards of dress and if ones employer deems it to be un-professional to be showing the chesticals. You wouldn’t go into work in dressed like your about to go for a night on the town and this standard of dress is just a lesser extreme.

This is not a conspiracy.

Its grate that you have amazing breasts, but there is a time and a place to show them off, it’s not in a office.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Actually, work is a private corporation and just like private schools they can dictate what is being worn, just like they can dictate emails, what people read of write and so on.

I would have to say dress for the environment or as per whatever code they dictate.
edit on 17-12-2010 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

Originally posted by caitlinfae

Originally posted by SLAYER69
OK I'm starting think that this thread is a way to fish out those MeMbers with large cleavage.
Well played.

Oh bugger....I didn't think of that before opening my big gob....as usual!

Since this thread does seem to be on a "fishing"trip,I will bite!
When I was younger,I liked to show off my 40D's.Now,I am older
and have to hide my 44D's due to gravity!

When a "mature" woman is showing her boobies
by hoisting her dress to knee-level,
they kinda lose their charm.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join