It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Music We Allow In Our Minds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The music that we allow into our head. We like to think it doesn't influence us, but is it really so? Time and time again, from the age of 11, i've been listening to Rap music. Not disrespecting Rap as a whole, but I tended to listen to the hardcore side of it. The emotional mind state of me listening to something mellow, versus something hardcore is vast. The feelings are on two opposite sides of the spectrum. I feel as though we just don't want to believe something has control over us, and even more importantly, our minds.

-B

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by baked

Overall rap is what it is a speeded up poem of ryhm and verse reflective in the most part of social and economic environments and situations.You could say that music does influence mood ,however if you prefer listening to shoot my homey music then generally eventually you may ,or maybe the victim of those words as some people don`t know the difference between a narrative of fiction and reality.I mean going over to Iraq say and listening to Shoot ye ya mo........res then I suppose you would tend to shoot the mo.........res.?Leaving death in your quake,if that makes any sense,when your senses are reduced to one stimulise then your perspective will become skewd.Heavy metal was used by the military to interigate detainees,they knew fully well the music as the only input would drive them nuts.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I was speaking more on music effecting our moods. Not so much on people acting out what they hear. I don't want this thread to derail into some "Columbine Kids Music Preference" kind of discussion either.
edit on 16-12-2010 by baked because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Music does influence us. Sometimes profoundly. But it has very much to do with how you resonate with and percieve the music. Certain wavelengths and rhythms do indeed produce physical and psychological states. That is the reason we tend to prefer soft, mellow music when we are sad. And upbeat music when we are happy and want to dance! We accentuate or alter our emotional state. There are songs that will make me cry almost anytime I hear them. They are closely associated with people, places and events. I need only hear the first few notes and I am there in spirit.

The message conveyed through the lyrics is also important. But if you listen to a foreign language you sort of don´t need to hear the words to get the message

I am not hung up on genres, I go with what resonates with me at the moment. Anything and everything as long as it´s pleasurable. Given the choice between sight or hearing... I just don´t know what I´d pick!
edit on 16-12-2010 by Exodaria because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by baked

I am not saying music would cause in effect but with some peoples minds could.Offcourse a hype good vibe tune with brilliant sunny temperate weather in the environment will make you feel ,Brill and up for any kinda fun,On the otherhand listening to pink floyd when its dull,grey wet and cold ,would make you feel like sticking your head in the oven,cookin by gas

new topics

top topics

join