It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statue Cemetery' Found Near Egyptian Tomb (interesting)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Two statuary fragments recently uncovered at the mortuary temple of Amenhotep III in Luxor. On the left is the head of the baboon god, Hapi, and on the right are the legs of another red granite statue. (Photo: SCA)

Egyptian archaeologists believe they have found a type of cemetery of broken and damaged ancient statues near the northern side of the funerary temple of King Tut's grandfather on the west bank of the Nile in Luxor. A team excavating the site, which has recently yielded many statues, has unearthed two red granite statue fragments.

Depicted with a baboon face, Hapi, one of Horus’s four children, was the god of fertility and the Nile flood. According to Zahi Hawass, Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, the large number of broken statues found in the area suggests that the spot was a burial for granite fragments of damaged and imperfect sculptures. “Because the statuary were ritually significant they could not be destroyed, the ancient Egyptians gathered the fallen statues and buried them in a cache beside the temple,” Hawass said in a press statement.

Source: news.discovery.com...

I don't think we will ever be able to fully understand the importance on their Gods and Statues of the same to the Egyptian people of that time/era. What happened in their history to make them the way they were?

Think about it. A graveyard for statues. Now, that is our interruptation of the find but for the most part, it appears to be a plausable explaination to the fragments that remain.

I guess it could easily be called a junk pile that got sand covered but the way it is presented is more interesting.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I guess it could easily be called a junk pile that got sand covered but the way it is presented is more interesting.

I like that take on it. I've often wondered if we just disappear and then in a few thousand years someone discovers the ruins of our civilization and starts digging. They find all these fascinating broken objects piled on top of each other. How long before they realize they're digging through a landfill, and would they even care. It's makes me wonder how many discoveries are simply ancient discarded trash, your right maybe we dug up their garbage.
edit on 16-12-2010 by bigern because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Great find OP! I always love this Egyptian archaeology stuff. That Zahi Hawass guy is a real bummer though. It is believed he suppresses most of the findings and releases explanations that only follow his beliefs.

I am not there on the plateau with him so I cannot say whether or not he is the snake they say he is, but I think the rumors about him are true.

I like the way they carved the upper body on that baboon face, too bad it was damaged

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I was in Luxor when they were excavating these statues - its taken some time. What I think is perhaps more exciting is the 3km of Sphinx's that link Luxor and Karnak temples together. I think its due for completion next year. The new governor - who the locals seem to love or loathe (depending on whether he's had your house demolished to make way for the sphinx corridor) has plans to market Luxor as the largest ourdoor museum in the world. I think the rest of the world already sees it that way - but the locals don't seem to appreciate how incredible we all find what's on their doorstep. Always the way...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
My first archaeology teacher once told us that "archaeology is the study of trash." That's all people seem to leave behind a lot of the time

Interesting find! I'm going to see what else I can find about it now

edit on 16-12-2010 by MzMorbid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Whew! I thought we found an ancient Egyptian statue of a Predator until I read the description under it.

That's a really awesome find! I'd love to see that statue in person because from the picture it still looks very detailed even afters a couple thousand years under the sand. Those eyes do bug the hell outta me though.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Really strange eyes.....
At first glance seem that it is NOT HUMAN.....

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Im with you on that one. I tried to get passed them but dam... I think they are being kind with their take.

Maybe when they dig down some more they will find the Spacesuit.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Hi anon.
Maybe, the entire statue, in origin, it was similar to this one, enhanced in yellow....

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

That may be because the Egyptians combined representations of their God's with animal and human form.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
reply to post by Arken

That may be because the Egyptians combined representations of their God's with animal and human form.

Maybe.

Or

Maybe their Gods were NOT HUMANS....

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join