It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

unwarranted preconceived ideas of aliens?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The following are a few preconceived idea of aliens that have become "common knowledge" I will give my personal view.

This is strictly my opinion, i'm stating nothing as fact.

They have malicious intent!

Thats right boys and ghouls, the men from mars are here to eat your babies, burn your crops and steal your gold!...wait...what?

In my opinion this notion of the malevolent Martians is rooted mostly in Hollywood. How many sci-fi movies have you seen aliens being portrayed as the antagonist? Now, how many have you seen where they are the protagonist?....? The only non kids movie I can think of is close encounters of the third kind. (which is one of my personal favorites)

FACT? - Hollywood is the major fear mongering manipulator of truth.

As much as we like to believe we are not affected by movies, being brought up with a certain Idea of how things are sticks with your for a long time.

True, people have talked about being abducted and experimented on, cattle have been mutilated, people go missing all the time. But these are mysteries based on mysteries. No one knows why; and WHY among any conscious being is powerful knowledge.

Abductions and experiments-
-Maybe they were actually healing the abductee of some disease or ailment they were unaware of.
-We "abduct" animals from the wild all the time, chipping them, tracking them, putting BBC cameras on them. Its merely hard to handle when it happens to us.

Cattle mutilations-
-Maybe they are gathering something they need to survive, or possibly to derive a medicine from.
-We mutilate cows all the time, we chop them up, grind them up, throw them on a fire, and eat their flesh. Whats so bad about another life-form using them for a benefit as-well?

Just like the beasts of folklore, we have put our own human spin on events we cannot explain. Speculation is never a bad thing, It inevitably leads to understanding. But what happens when speculation becomes "common knowledge"? Are we digging a hole we may never get out of? are we conditioning ourselves to fear life and intelligence beyond our boarders?

Another Idea of aliens is that they are as real and physical as you or I.

Though I do believe there is ample physical life in the universe living in the same dimension, consuming bio-matter, and seeing in the same spectrum of light as us. I also believe that there is an abundance of life beyond what we can comprehend as physical existence.

Why must aliens be confined to the same space as us? Is our ego so overwhelming that we have to be the limit of existing life?

I was going to write more but I've lost my train of thought lol.

Oun Jahhryn

edit on 16-12-2010 by OUNjahhryn because: typo

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
We were created by aliens. nuff said.

I am still waiting to get 20 posts so i can post a thread about a book that will change the life, and how everyone in this forum will look at things.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Hide your kids, hide your wife.

Lol, jk, could not resist

Regarding animals, difference between us and them is in self awarennes. We are, they are not.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It's really interesting you bring this up, because you mention "martians" - which were a species from a planet called Mars. We would also refer to them as Aryians.... Why don't you learn a little bit about Mars and what happened to that planet and "Martians" and see how friendly that race was. I can show you an example since most of their descendants are of royal bloodlines creating wars here on this planet now....no #!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonified Ween

I said martians and men from mars as a humorous anecdote for old-school Hollywood alien movies.

And I'd be interested to see your facts about what happened on a planet we've never sent a man too.
my thread is about speculation, I cant see your information being pulled from anything but speculation.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

Read the Vedas.....Thoroughly....Caucasians are not from here.....sorry
edit on 16-12-2010 by Bonified Ween because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Farnhold

Lol, jk, could not resist

Regarding animals, difference between us and them is in self awarennes. We are, they are not.

he's climbin in your windows
he's snatchin your people up
tryna rape em!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

What culture's literature would this book be derived from?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I'm just a crazy cook, ignore what I say
Start Here That link is a good starting point if you are completely unfamiliar. They are from India. The texts are some of the oldest in the public domain dating back to around 13,000 BC.

But what I am talking about can be seen even just in recent history. Look at Hitler and his obsession to bring back the "Pure Race" - the "Aryans".. He had an idea of what was going on, but became a little obsessed with it. Why do you think they use the term "Aryan" ? Here is a little riddle for you. What's the difference between Aryan / Aries / Red Star / Mars ? Nothing, it all represents the same thing. Hence the name Aryans. They were a race from mars from a looooong time ago. Destroyed their planet, and now they are here #ing ours up.... This is old news to people who do the research.
edit on 16-12-2010 by Bonified Ween because: Hi Ho

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Farnhold

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The sts or sto is a universal thought proccess. And that good E.T. are called Et and bad Aliens are called aliens.

edit on 12/16/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Its hard to separate fact from folklore of 13000 year old text. Im a believer in the ancient astronaut theory, But I cant say for sure what is interpretation, Im trying to rely both on modern science, and the ancients. It leaves me with a lot of open doors, and closed doors.

But thanks for the info I'll look into it.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Interesting?
You seem distracted by your consumption of hollywood movies, you aren't even looking at the subject in a scienfitic manner.

your title "unwarranted preconceived ideas of aliens" in a sence is true, most believe an alien would be hostile, but you really think it would come 38 thousand lightyears, to burn your fields or rape you? No more likely it would observe your civilization, and pending on its understanding, probally leave.

My idea of what an alien would be like is this "a mind of science, logical comtemplation and understanding of the cosmos." Of course we cant really know, but we can use oursevles as an example. Some humans are violent greedy and cannot be trusted, while others are peaceful friend and very open minded.

Does this mean that all humans are good or bad? no, it means it depends on your luck and who you meet. If you met an alien that had the albitiy to explore the cosmos openly, chances are, he isnt going to bother with you. More likely, he wouldnt even be near your planet.

Everything we have, they can get on a barron rock. So the only reason to come to a world like this is to study DNA, and see the natural evolution of the species' not to beam you away and show you the universe. Or probe you.

Since the begining of time man has always sought for the stars, a calling to the cosmos, and weather it be gods or aliens, we always hoped something would interfer with our lives, with no advail. So if we crave some cosmic purpose why not reach a worthy goal?

We either find our way off this rock, or we die. There is no free ride.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by unknown22
We were created by aliens. nuff said.

I am still waiting to get 20 posts so i can post a thread about a book that will change the life, and how everyone in this forum will look at things.

Did you write it? or someone else?
2nd

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
The following are a few preconceived idea of aliens that have become "common knowledge" I will give my personal view.

They have malicious intent!
There's Hollywood, and then there's what people think, don't confuse the two.

Hollywood movies would be pretty boring with no conflict, it's that simple, so they mix it up a little to sell tickets.

But take a poll to ask whether people think aliens are good or evil, and I expect you'll see the vast majority think aliens are benevolent.

To me this is the fallacy, assuming that because they're so advanced, they've somehow evolved beyond malicious intent. Or maybe they just stole the technology they're using from another advanced benevolent race of aliens.

We shouldn't assume they will be friendly nor should we assume they'll be unfriendly. We shouldn't assume anything.

However if we are thinking about trying to initiate first contact, we should think about, "what's the worst thing that could happen if they are malevolent?" It's pretty bad, so as Stephen Hawking said, we probably shouldn't try to initiate contact (at least not until we have a good planetary defense system in place).

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Anthony1138

The whole malicious intent and burning crops thing was sarcasm, definitely not how I feel

Just a representation of how weve been brought up with aliens in the media for the last 50 years, Of course WE can take it with a grain of salt and look at it critically. But for the majority of people who aren't familiar with the subject of aliens, the only thing they have to base off of are movies, media stories etc.

edit on 16-12-2010 by OUNjahhryn because: m

edit on 16-12-2010 by OUNjahhryn because: mm

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
However if we are thinking about trying to initiate first contact, we should think about, "what's the worst thing that could happen if they are malevolent?" It's pretty bad, so as Stephen Hawking said, we probably shouldn't try to initiate contact (at least not until we have a good planetary defense system in place).

As long as there is a species more advanced than us we will always be vulnerable to anything, which I'm fine with, I think being destroyed by aliens would be a pretty cool way to die. But not reaching out could be just as bad. depends on how much value you put on the human race. we could be helped or destroyed. I'd rather die with arms open than have a planetary defense grid.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

to be honest it doesnt really matter to me whether or not there are 'goodies' or 'baddies' what matters is that we DONT KNOW... We dont know if there is intelligent life out there capable of interacting with us let alone affecting what we do. Anyone with half a brain would say 'WOHA' 'Back the hell off' We dont know WHAT is out there. Ok great if there is nothing out there we can shout and scream and yell 'HERE WE ARE!' and nothing will come of it, but IF...... IF there is something out there and if 'it' isnt friendly (and there's a 50/50 chance it wont be) then we SHOULD be more cautious... If there's a 50/50 chance that Aliens arent friendly then we are in trouble...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I bet you have been reading Zorgons thread and gone all paranoid

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
I'd rather die with arms open than have a planetary defense grid.

Native Americans in some cases opened their arms to welcome aliens from Europe, and I don't think any of them would tell you it was a cool way to die.

There's no reason you can't have a planetary defense grid and still welcome friendly aliens.

Just don't shoot first and ask questions later like we did in the Battle of LA

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join