It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weren't games better back then than now?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Now that I really think of it, I think PC games during the late '80s and into the late '90s were far better than they are now.

Maybe because PC gaming was a fairly new thing (it didn't really start until after Atari, Colecovision, and Commodore 64), but I found games then to be real refreshing and innovative. Back then, it's like they did everything they could to take advantage of the capabilities of the PC. Because they didn't have superb graphics and sound as they do now, they relied a lot more on depth and cool stuff to make a good game. And they had so much!

Back then, the big genre was Adventure Games. Unlike today's shooters, those games totally rocked, because they not only had good graphics and okay sound, but they had real fun gameplay, deep gameplay, engrossing stories and characters, and these were games you could keep playing and never get bored. Most importantly, they rocked the first time around. Now Adventure Games are a dead genre, because people would rather go for the quick fix of shooters than a game that requries 100% focus and attention to play and have fun.

I'll let you all answer the question, but I think the lack of PC capability was sort of a good thing. That meant they had to make more than just good graphics and sound. Today, besides The Sims, Metal Gear Solid, etc., it's really hard to find a really good game.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I remember when Atari came out and I used to spend hours playing pac-man and space invadors, I think the first few computer games where kind of boring, boncing a dot side to side on a green screen was not very interesting, now the graphics and speeds now make games more atractive and realistic.

[Edited on 5-7-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I have to disagree with you. Why? Grand Theft auto. The best invention since sliced bread.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
I have to disagree with you. Why? Grand Theft auto. The best invention since sliced bread.

I agree. Although I thoroughly enjoyed games like the original Mario and Asteroids (yes, I am 15 and yes I did play them as a child), games are still good today. We have amazing games like GTA3 and Vice City, Full Spectrum Warrior, Battlefield 1942, Ico, and other gems.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Bah. I loved the old adventure games too.

This final fantasy crap is just CRAP. It's like watching a movie. The player has no role in developing the story or contributing his own imagination.

I used to play Apple IIe text based games like crazy in the 80's. NO GRAPHICS. And I loved it. They were hard as hell too. And the images were just in your head.

But you could never get a kid to play that now. It's like trying to teach D&D to someone weened on DragonSlayer. Memorizing up/down/triangle/square... is VASTLY inferior to using your brain to solve riddles through visualization excercises.

I can still get into a unidirectional game like DungeonSiege simply because it does have such good graphics, but I feel so used when I win. Once upon a time, you could start over and play totally differently, take a different route, sove puzzles different ways.

When you finish today's "adventures" you're done. And none take more than a week or so. Games used to take a year, when they were good..if you could solve them at all.
It didn't used to be a given that everyone wins.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
boncing a dot side to side on a green screen was not very interesting

Pong
Anybody out there remember Pong ?

I think for me, video games lost most of their attractiveness when the playstation and other 64 bit consoles came out. I just couldn't seem to get a grip on the 3-D aspect. There were too many ways to move rather then simply scrolling to the left as most adventure games (Sonic, Mario, Donkey Kong etc) did.

So I guess you could say my interest and ability in video games got stuck with Super Nintendo lol.

Now the computer games are a bit different. Building your own theme park is GREAT fun, as is The Sims.

But I still prefer the adventure games with good old levels and worlds that you must progress through.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
But you could never get a kid to play that now.

Actually, I find text-based games quite exciting and challenging. Maybe that has something though to do with the fact that I was raised on "retro" games.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Actually, I am not talking about the Atari or Commodore 64 games. I am talking about PC games during the period of the late '80s into the late '90s. The market was noticable different from the market today.

Also, be as general as possible. I do realize there are specific games that are classics, but I am not talking specifics.

Given that, answer the question ONCE AGAIN!

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
I agree. Although I thoroughly enjoyed games like the original Mario and Asteroids (yes, I am 15 and yes I did play them as a child), games are still good today. We have amazing games like GTA3 and Vice City, Full Spectrum Warrior, Battlefield 1942, Ico, and other gems.

Again, I am talking about PC games and I am talking generally, not specifically. Otherwise, my question would be moot if we were talking specifics.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I grew up on Mario in his 8-bit glory but I must say there are just as many good games today. I didn't like Mario Sunshine, but Mario 64 was simply awesome. Not because of the (then) good graphics but the gameplay recaptured the original in 3D. Many games today focus on graphics over gameplay but some do have substance. Take Half-Life 2 for example, while I haven't played it I am certain it will take the first games atmosphere and story to whole new level. Oops I'm being specific aren't I
Anyway, I think the Adventure genre simply took it's natural evolution, I call it Everquest (or whichever MMO you prefer). Instead of playing through a set story where all the characters have preset reactions to you. You can enter an entire world of mostly real people having different adventures everyday. Find a role-playing server and the players create their own stories (guild wars, internal and external guild politics, and the classic bar fight )
Sorry about the rambling Bottom line, there are good and bad games in every era of gaming. Just think of the hundreds of crappy games for those old systems.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
BY FAR THE BEST APPLE GAME EVER

CRYSTAL QUEST

Yes I got a wicked high score when I was 7 years old.. Bangs head against the table... one of the most memorable moments of my life..The games forgotten but the memory lives on. I was in the zone playing that (c) #.

Other good games that I've played

Age of Mythology
Need For Speed Hot pursuit 2
UEFA 2004
Worms

Lemmings

Prince of Persia

[Edited on 5-7-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I grew up on nes and sega gens(master system)

I suppose back then, the games let you have some imagination, now games are so graphical, it's like they must be graphical and can totally avoid any thing else as long as it's shiney. There are still awesome games coming out, but there are a lot that just make me want to pewk.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
ok here goes

the best old games on pc were
1. frontier elite 2(all though amiga version was good)
2. that old point and click (big guy with lots of stubble who rides on a big chopper) please tell me the name!!!
3. grim fandango (not that old)
4. doom
5. ok best of nu game THEIF the dark project
and RTCW

what do u think?

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor

3. grim fandango (not that old)

what do u think?

Ah, I loved Grim Fandango. Granted, I only played the demo, it was quite good.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Grim Fandango, I thought, would be a huge success, but by then, adventure gaming was on a steep dive.

One of the most underrated games. Ever.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I use to love , just love playing X Wing back in the early 90s and Doom whenever my dad agreed to watch me while I played, ( Didnt want me emulating anying).

Those where the best and then I discovered the original command an conquer at a half priced books in 99 and that had to be the most fun I had in years.

Then from the same store came Deus Ex.

Besides those two games, I cant really name a game I absolutely couldnt stop playing.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
One text-based game that I used to love, was L.O.R.D. (Legend Of the Red Dragon). It was a game we could play on B.B.S. It was really funny, all text based, even the "images" were ASCII art lol...

But I agree, most kids/teens today wouldn't even be interested in such kind of game.

For those who have known the Sega Genesis (or Master System) console, anyone remember "General Chaos" ? That game ROCKED !!! It was totally awesome, I would still play it if I still had my Sega.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The only "new" shooter that is actually a developing story mixed with good action and suspense is Deus X 1 and 2 i personally love those 2 games.

My #1 favorite old school game of all time is an old RPG called Realmz that and the RPG series called Exile were all i played from 1995-200 and for good reason. I stilll own and play both but not as much because of my involvement in other good games such as the above^

You can get realmz at www.fantasoft.com Its a super good game!

[Edited on 9-7-2004 by NinjaoftheNight]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Those Space Quest games were kind of fun, the commentator was payed in dope though lol.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
I use to love , just love playing X Wing back in the early 90s and Doom whenever my dad agreed to watch me while I played, ( Didnt want me emulating anying).

Those where the best and then I discovered the original command an conquer at a half priced books in 99 and that had to be the most fun I had in years.

Then from the same store came Deus Ex.

Besides those two games, I cant really name a game I absolutely couldnt stop playing.

X-Wing was one of the best games ever made! TIE Fighter was even better. Nothing can beat those games. Star Wars and starfighters, what more could you ask for?

Deus Ex, I have no words. BEST GAME EVER.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join