It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats in a name, Satan, Lucifer and the rest?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Let’s suppose you were learning English, you ask me what my name is and I reply my name is “Mr John Smith”.
Not understanding English you might think my first name is “Mr” my middle name is “John” and my last or surname is “smith”.

Essentially what has happened is that you have failed to understand that “Mr” is a title which simply means I am a man and is not my first name. This is a simplistic example but it shows how a title can be confused for a person’s name.

Now let’s look at some more interesting examples:

Merlin

King Arthur spiritual adviser a wise man with unusual abilities. Everyone loves to hear tales of Merlin the wizard but “Merlin” was not his name. Merlin is a title which simply means advisor to the king. There have been several Merlin through history and every king had one. “The Merlin” however is not simply an advisor but someone who is thought to posses supernatural ability's.
There is dispute as to the real name of King Arthur's Merlin, some say his real name was Lailoken and others say Taliesin was his name.
Queen Elizabeth had a Merlin called “John Dee” who would chart horoscopes for her.
Today the Dali lama makes use of a Merlin who during an elaborate ceremony goes into a trance and starts to advise the Dali lama on important issues. In modern times it seems strange to us that such advice should be sought by those in power but in antiquity it was quite normal and commonplace.

Satan

Ah got your attention, the Christians toes are starting to curl up with the mention of the word and to be honest you think you know what “Satan” is don’t you?
A malevolent creature of the dark, a deceiver, a prince of darkness, a supernatural entity who wields the force of evil…WRONG!
Satan is a title which simply means someone who is in disagreement or opposition. If you for example did not agree with or like President Barack Obama it could be said you are a Satan of Obama.
In 1 Samuel 29:4 David is described as a Satan of the Philistines which simply means David opposed the Philistines.

The word satan is a Hebrew word which simply means opponent or adversary. When it occurs in the Old Testament, it is usually translated into the English word “adversary”. Sometimes the adversary was an angel or a godly person. For example: * an angel is described as a satan in Numbers 22:22; * David is described as a satan in 1 Samuel 29:4. In both cases, the word satan does not appear in our English Bibles because it has been translated. In 1 Chronicles 21:1, God is described as a satan because he was opposing David. Here the translators chose to leave the word untranslated. In this incident, God was acting as a satan or opponent because he brought about a trial in David’s life. In other passages, the adversary was not a godly person. For example: * Hadad the Edomite and Rezon the king of Syria were satans to Solomon (1 Kings 11:14,23) because they led armies against Israel; * David’s enemies are described as satans in Psalm 38:20. Again, in these cases the word satan has been translated. In Job chapters 1 and 2, the word satan is left untranslated. Satan (the opponent) comes before God and claims that Job is only righteous because he has been blessed. He says that if Job were made to suffer, he would not be so righteous. Then Job suffers a series of disasters including the loss of all his possessions, the death of his ten children and a severe skin disease. It was God who brought about the series of disasters (see Job 2:3; 19:21; 30:21; 42:11; etc.). So, although Satan wanted Job to suffer, it was God who acted on his suggestion. Satan himself did not have the power to do it on his own—God gave him the power. So who is Job’s opponent in this case? We do not know. Whoever Satan was, he was suspicious that Job would not maintain his faith under suffering. After Satan complained to God about Job, God decided to test Job’s faith and righteousness.

robjhyndman.com...

Lucifer

What do you think the word “Lucifer” means?
Again it is a title and not a name, Lucifer means the “light bearer” as you probably know but what does it mean “a light bearer”?
The word can be used in two contexts when it is applied to an object or a person but in both contexts it means “one that illuminates”
During the daylight hours if you scan the sky with your eyes you may be able to see “the day star” which is actually not a star but the planet Venus which reflects the suns light so strongly that it is often the only stellar object other then the sun visible. In this context Venus being one that illuminates or shines brightly could be described as Lucifer which is why this word has become associated with the day star Venus.
If I said a living entity was Lucifer what would that mean?
Light has become associated with knowledge in the English language and in other languages. If a person is illuminated or enlightened it literally means they are lit from within. If I at the moment am trying to explain something to you, to make it clearer so you can understand it could be said that I am shedding/casting light on this topic or misunderstanding. Lucifer used in this context means a living entity that illuminates or brings a person into a position of knowing or knowledge.

Fallen Angel

Creature with wings who fly’s around surrounded in light bring death, the prince of darkness himself?
Angel again is a title which means “messenger” but this word is not usually used to describe a common person who comes with a message. These beings are always depicted as being superior to humans and having the ability of flight. In all accounts they are carrying out instructions given to them by a force which is superior to themselves.
When we describe an object as falling it means it has descended or come down from a higher level. A “Fallen Angel” is therefore a messenger who has descended from above and come down to Earth.

Devil

A creature with pointed horns, hooves and a tail with a goatee beard?
Devil quite simply is an evil spirit however there is not one devil but many devils who operate in the unseen realm of existence. Fear not however for just as there are evil spirits there are good spirits.
The devil as portrayed by the Christians is actually a good spirit called “the horned one” or Cernunnos god of the forest and guardian of secret knowledge.
The Christians at that time were taking all the ancient customs and beliefs and branding them evil saying anyone who followed them would be dammed, a PR stunt which would not work today.

Now with all the above fresh in your mind consider the meaning of the following:

????? Was a fallen angel, a Lucifer and a Satan of Elohim!

????? was a mortal having both flesh and blood!

edit on 16-12-2010 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Doesnt the belief in the 'Horned one' come from wicca and or witchcraft?
Is that not a new age belief?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Was Lucifer a prototype of Jesus?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

There is no exhaustive or authoritative source that traces Wicca back through ancient times. Wicca is mainly a 20th century manifestation of ancient nature worship systems based out of northern Europe that existed thousands of years ago.

“Wicca is a religion rooted in the mists of Neolithic history… it is basically a fertility and agrarian society. It is a religion of nature worship and the subsequent interaction with nature that is dissented from that practice by the Celtic clans of Western Europe and the indigenous peoples of the British Isles, the builders of such monuments as Stonehenge.”

The above is a quote from the book "Tortured for Christ". It tell of the burnigs, drownings..the torture of the wicca by the Catholic Church.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
Doesnt the belief in the 'Horned one' come from wicca and or witchcraft?
Is that not a new age belief?

No it is much older then wicca which is a modern invention having nothing in common or to do with even the ancient beliefs.
If a druid from antiquity was to go in a time machine and view modern wicckens he would say what the hell are those nutters doing

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Yes I know i've read about it.
Was it not Alex Sanders who began wicca in the US?
Yes of cos, these things date back a very long time I agree.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

No two "individuals" for want of a better word who had an impact on humanity.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

Well, whilst wicca may be newer, they believe in the 'Horned God'.
They also believe this God is not the Devil but is a spirit of the Earth, something like in your post, spirit of the forest. So if a druid would come back to this time, why would he be displeased when the traditions are carried on?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

Because Wicca is an extremely diluted aspect of true Druidic practices.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Very good post, have been trying to tell this to people for a long time, most atheist listen! Christians on the other side, including my wife, just goes into a blank stare when I talk about it. And yes I am discrete, always have my hand on the pulse (Did that saying translate correctly? ... sidenote: direct translation is "sticking ones finger in the earth")

Satan is adversary.
Lucifer is light bringer. (Prometheus?)

In regards to the Devil, I will not argue the etymology of the word! But the christian discription always made me think of Satyrs for some reason.

Side note, notice how every time christians wanted to make something evil, pagan or heathen they always just gave it horns? the did it with the bull story (golden calf) with the satyrs and even to my ancestors the vikings, who never used horns in their helmets, now all of the sudden for several hundred if not almost a thousand years where depicted like this
All because we sacked a monastery :p

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Rev. 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

If Lucifer is Venus, and Venus is the morning star, and Jesus is saying he, too, is the morning star...

Also, consider when Jesus was baptized by John, the holy spirit descended on him in the form of a dove. The dove is sacred to (or symbolic of) Venus. Interesting connections.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Nameless Hussy

Interesting... Maybe the lucifer worshipers are worshiping jesus correctly?

Fascinating.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nameless Hussy

Rev. 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

If Lucifer is Venus, and Venus is the morning star, and Jesus is saying he, too, is the morning star...

Also, consider when Jesus was baptized by John, the holy spirit descended on him in the form of a dove. The dove is sacred to (or symbolic of) Venus. Interesting connections.

Very interesting indeed

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If you knew the true name of Satan you would have power over him and all that he possesses.

Muhahahahaha.

The same for God/Jesus. There are some books not included in today's Bible that tell tale of Solomon possessing a ring with God's true name on it. With it Solomon was able to command any spiritual being and supposedly used them to build the temple and gain his immense wealth.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nameless Hussy

He is describing himself as one who brings light or knowledge, a Lucifer

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Let me try.

Jesus (pronounced in western English) Gee . Zuss

( pronounced in Spanish) Hey. Zeus
( pronounced in french) Zhey . So

Zeus

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
XXXXX Was a fallen angel, a Lucifer and a Satan of Elohim!

Translated it means:

XXXXX was a messenger sent down from above, a light bearer and an adversary of the Elohim!

So your should be asking yourself who is XXXXX and who is the Elohim?

If you break the code you will know about your history.....did,dig,dig...break the code!
edit on 16-12-2010 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Elohim is G-D aka. TGAOTU aka. YHWH aka. Jehova!

Elohim is just the hebrew word for God.
Like Arabs use Allah, and westerners use God.

I disagree on your translation of fallen angel, it is not a messenger who is sent down, but a messenger CAST down. There is a difference.

Who XXXXX was? Well according to the bible, 1 third of all angels where cast out at one time, if I remember correctly!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schrödinger
Elohim is G-D aka. TGAOTU aka. YHWH aka. Jehova!

Elohim is just the hebrew word for God.
Like Arabs use Allah, and westerners use God.

If only it was that simple, a quick google....your sure now it means GOD?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Another one is demon just means spirit entity or being which is either good or malevolent. The modern Christians projected their own meaning onto the word and the distorted definition remains a common misconception.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join