It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subliminal Incest theme in Folger's Commercial?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I do that "hand between thighs" thing all the time, especially when sitting on high things without a table in front of me. Like the kitchen counter, especially the kitchen counter. It seems more comfortable that way. Or when it's chilly and my hands get cold.

Honestly, if someone saw a sexual innuendo in that, I would do my best to stay away from that person. People who find sexual innuendos in innocent, natural gestures are.. um, well, creepy.

I don't have any siblings myself, but when my boyfriend and his sister meet (they always study in different parts of the world, mostly on different continents) it gets pretty emotional. Yeah, they even look at each other, go figure.

Anyway... why would a coffee brand try to make people incestuous? What would they have to gain from that? Incestuous siblings drink more coffee? I don't get it.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

Originally posted by flightsuit
reply to post by woodwytch

a) You said,

I find the most disturbing thing about your OP after watching the video ... is the fact that you actually saw 'anything' sexual at all about it ... even more disturbing that you thought the family love and affection displayed in the ad must have incestuous undertones.

Maybe you should look at your own subliminal psychology a little closer ?

So, in other words, you're saying I'm sick.

Am I supposed to be impressed that you've "studied applied psychology" and now wrongly believe yourself to be capable of interpreting my "tells?"

There are few things as dangerous and irresponsible as an amateur who's taken a class or two and therefore believes himself qualified to play at being a psychologist.

As I said before ... heads and brick walls ... I've tried to explain as clearly as I can but something tells me you choose to be ignorant ... and that's fine sugar, continue into oblivion and enjoy.

I would just repeat that I have never called you sick or perverted I said that what you chose to see in the ad was disturbing. The fact that you saw something bad in the advert is more of a sad reflection on the way you translate things in your mind really.

You are denying the fact that you called me sick and perverted, and then, in the same breath, you're calling me sick and perverted.

And in one of your quiet more lucid moments (you seem to be raging at shadows at the moment) you might find time to read through these 10 pages and you will see that 'you' are the one who has attacked everyone who has not agreed with you ...

That is a completely untrue statement. The only people I've said anything unkind to or about in this thread have been people like you, who have either stated or implied that I am a sex pervert. There are no exceptions. If you did not state or imply that I am a sex pervert, then I did not say anything unkind to you in return.

End of story.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlovenlyGhost
reply to post by flightsuit

U've only been nice towards the ones who agree with you.

Bullsh*t. If anybody here has disagreed with me and not accused me of being a sick pervert, I guarantee you that I have not been unkind to them.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I absolutely must post regarding the things that people are missing on this subject.
They all revolve around the comments the pseudo-skeptics want to label as "Psychology".

Public Relations, or what has been usurped be the corporate segment known as public relations, relies on a couple of methods through which they elicit behavior in people.

Because the object of advertisement is to promote the behavior of consumption regarding products that are not needed, these advertisers knew that telling people the positive rational reasons to buy things had a self-limiting aspect to it as an idea of promotion. Once the market had what was needed, it ceased to buy things, but at the end of WWII our means of production far outpaced our means of consumption.
This lead to a huge backup on the supply side of the industry. This would best have been taken care of by raising wages or cutting down on working hours, but BY LAW a corporation is mandated to make the most possible profit. BY LAW PEOPLE.

So the reaction was to cause people to want more and more, and the idea of consumerism was created by Bernays and sold to large American companies by his PR Firm.

What is now the cornerstone of consumerism was first noticed by accident in a focus group and it is this... the thing that people like about products was how it made them feel.

So what commercials did in turn was to OVERTLY begin to associate emotions with product.
(ie.... buy this and you will feel safer).

But the one thing that was proven by NAZI scientists in their takeover of other countries was the process of destabilization through moral corruption.
This made people react in the subconscious because the means, or behavior, desired was simultaneously associated the presented desired emotion and then once again associated with an abstract word.

This is real and it is closest in relation to memetic-engineering.

The point is to overwhelm your defenses so as to make the critical mind no longer function in a defensive mode and you are subject to suggestion subtly reinforced through time.
And in this case it is the idea that Folger's Coffee will make your family "more close".
Hahahahahaha.

The subconscious emotion evoked will be so disturbing that it will immediate cause a behavior in order to forget about the FORCED subconscious emotion. Incest.

And that is when Pavlov gives you the conditioned response.
Some people in cult programming call this contradictory commands.

Buy Folger's Coffee. Maybe it will stop making you have bizarre incestuous thoughts.

C' Mon guys. I am a Psych. Grad and I am in grad school for research Pscyh.

You want to know why adverts work, then study B F Skinner or Albert Bandura and the Psychology of Behaviorism.

Read about Edward Bernays.
Read about Ivy Lee.
Thiank about the fact that the idea of Public Relations was originally called "Perception Management".

I guess to make it sound better.

edit on 12/18/2010 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SlovenlyGhost

It's all good, I hold nothing against you. It's not entirely your fault you've been programmed to lash out at those who point out your brainwashing.
I don't have a sister.

With all seriousness if you disagree I understand it is a stretch with this commercial because it is mostly subtle and not really subliminal. But it's your reaction to the possibility of a conspiracy here that strengthens our argument that you are in fact under subliminal influence. If you had just disagreed then we would have had a discussion, but since you attacked the poster like a puritan on a witch I'm convinced you're under sub conscious hypnosis.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
yea, as a dude who lives far away from my family. that's pretty much exactly what its like when me and my sister see each other, minus the ridiculous love of folger's coffee. and, no, i do not want to do my sister. lol. sorry man i dont' see it.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Xemplar

Wow, so many posts that go so deep to explain to us "brainwashed" idiots how we are being duped and led astray by a FOLGERS commercial.
If i had more time I would go into more detail but the zombies of black ops are calling.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

If you honestly do not think that a multi-billion dollar a year, and growing, industry didn't have the ability to constantly reinforce you to "temporarily" suspend judgment and do what they suggest.

And you think that their market share has grown because they are so wrong, then you must be living in some world where the numbers that substantiate that actually exist.

I would love links.

Yes, you can be brainwashed.
Or tell me....

How do you spell relief?
edit on 12/18/2010 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Xemplar

You're convinced I'm brain controled because I attacked you?I think you're just looking for a reason to discredit me.
It's nice not having to think.I'll just blame everything on my brainwashing.Stupid media making my life simpler.

Okay,whatever.But I still don't see anything wrong with the advert.I've really tryed to look at it from your perspective but there really isn't anything suggesting these two individuals want to have sex.

Didn't even really bring out any emotion in me.I did think when she said he's her present it was sweet of her.But that's about it.

Just think you're reading into this way too much.

edit on 11/09/2010 by SlovenlyGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I read the book, "Subliminal Seduction" years ago and have had an interest in this field ever since. Last year my 13 year old daughter and I came up with a science fair project involving subliminal advertising that won first place. We asked the subjects do a taste test of 3 different types of a popular soft drink and asked them to indicate which one tastes best; Sample A, Sample B or Sample C. The brand names were not provided to the subjects. But actually all three samples were the same brand.

Before they were allowed to sample the drinks they were asked to read a short paragraph explaining the instructions. The first letter of each line spelled out the command, "PICK A." Then the test was run. A vast majority chose sample A. But then we changed he paragraph so that the first letter of each sentence spelled out, "Pick B." When this was done a majority of the subjects picked B. No one every noticed that the command was embedded in the paragraph even though the first letter was in BOLD. This of course was just a middle school project so I am sure that it would not stand up to strict scientific scrutiny. But is did seem to indicate to me that there was some validity to the whole field of subliminal advertising.

Regarding the Op. I think that the people choosing to level personal attacks on you are misguided and perhaps not aware of the frequency that methods like this are used. Is it being used in the Folgers ad? I do not know. I have a sister, and we were extremely close as children. I did not get any sense of anything unusual about the ad, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't an attempt by the creators to evoke some basic emotional response to their product.

In fact the whole ad is an attempt to evoke an emotional response. There is barely any information about the coffee itself that would be of use to the consumer in choosing it over some other brand. The director is appealing to the viewer on a completely emotional level to associate their product with warm family feelings and perhaps more. Ask yourself, when you are in the supermarket aisle and you are buying coffee, will visions of Christmas morning or long lost relatives suddenly flood your mind? Of course not. But there is evidently something that triggers some consumers to in the end, choose Folgers.

I think that is why there are a variety of ads. Don't forget the Folgers competition are up to the same tricks. I would like to analyse some of their ads before I reached any definite conclusions. Very interesting thread.

And to the Op. I do not think you are perverted for asking the question. People need to get off their high horse and leave the personal attacks for some other websites.
edit on 12/18/2010 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by flightsuit

I think they look quite normal,

and she's adorable....sweet and feminine, perfect...and no bling.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by toasted

You know...
That is the point.

These advertisers WANT us to suspend judgment. That is the easiest way to temporarily shut down the minds naturally learned mechanisms for suggestibility.

They want people to not know what to think, because the next thing that goes into the mind is not run through the same set of scrutiny in their mind filters of values and morals.

And what is the thing to do...

Buy Folger's Coffee.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
A little schmalzy, maybe, but incest? No. Here's the deal. The guy has been away from home for two years serving in the Peace Corps. When he left his sister was still a snarky little beanpole. Now she's grown up, hence the 'must be the wrong house' comment. She's obviously happy to see him, but as for him leaning on for a kiss? Nope. He's showing embarrassment, that's all. he looks down, but dpes not lean out. I know nuclear families are out of fashion these days. This is just a little Ozzie and Harriet moment. Get over it.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Bravo to you for taking such an active role in your daughter's education! Parents like you are worth their weight in gold.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Oh, and just to clear up one thing:

The simpletons who keep attacking me seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am 100% committed to the idea that the commercial definitely contains intentional subliminal sex.

I have never taken that position. Unlike my attackers, I am a true skeptic, and am therefore open to all possibilities. I have never ruled out the likelihood that the people who made this commercial were so inept that they created something creepy completely by accident.

Advertising is a stupid, banal medium, and advertisers screw themselves all the time by losing perspective and creating products and ads with unintentionally lewd connotations. It's kind of funny, really.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by joechip

I thought the same thing. Everything in a commercial is carefully staged, spending that kind of money to get people to buy your product, nothing in the commercial is accidental.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

Honestly, if someone saw a sexual innuendo in that, I would do my best to stay away from that person. People who find sexual innuendos in innocent, natural gestures are.. um, well, creepy.

I would agree if this were a natural home movie. But this is not a natural gesture, this is a scripted commercial. Think about it, these companies spend millions of dollars on commercials, everything in the commercial is meticulously staged. Props, placements, clothes, actors, dialogue, etc.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This is my last rant.

Have we lost our ability to have rational discussions about these alternative issues without the thread devolving into name calling.

This is all indicative of an argument with no reasonable ground so the only recourse is to employ more imagined logical fallacies.

Who cares is someone differs in their beliefs. That is no reason to cell them sociopaths, sicko's and perverts.

THIS IS A COMMERCIAL THAT USES ACTORS AND NOT THE REAL DEAL.

THE MAP IS NOT THE TERRITORY

GET IT?!?!?!?!?!?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
You know what really makes me sad? I've started a lot of threads in recent times with much more compelling subjects than this one, yet they've gotten very few responses.

For example, this thread right here is my own transcript of a conversation I had with a good friend of mine about his remarkable "alien abduction" experiences and his even more remarkable ability to remain totally skeptical and objective about the existence of ET, despite his own encounters:

A UFO Experiencer in His Own Words

At the time of this writing, that thread has only fourteen replies. Yet this one has stretched to eleven pages, presumably because its title appealed to people's prurient interests.

I'd much rather be talking about my friend's fascinating abduction experiences than listening to people who don't even understand the concept of subliminal advertising telling me I'm a sex pervert.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

why would I buy folgers!!!

I drink papa-nicholas

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join