It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal court blocks Obama Administration attempt to spy on cell phones without a warrant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Federal court blocks Obama Administration attempt to spy on cell phones without a warrant

www.rawstory.com

The Obama Administration's effort to obtain your location from cell phone towers without a warrant was rebuffed Wednesday by a federal court.

The 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Wednesday that the Justice Department cannot obtain information about which cell phone towers mobile phones communicate with without a warrant.

The decision was first reported by Wired's David Kravets, and has received almost no coverage in the press.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

The Obama Administration is seeking to reverse an earlier ruling giving judges the authority to require a warrant for the government to obtain cell phone tracking data.

In October, Obama Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer filed a brief seeking the power to obtain cell phone location data without a warrant, arguing that it was essentially communication made in a public place.

Good for this court, though I'm not holding my breath that this ruling will stick. I think precedent would show that the courts are only little lap dogs to government and it won't be long before this issue finds its way to a bought and paid for judge.

Regardless, just because the courts say "no", doesn;t mean that the government isn't doing it anyway.

This country has completely lost its way. Whatever happened to the American idea? What about our Constitutional protections?

For anyone who still thinks that Obama has brought change, in spite of his administrations striking similarities to the Bush administration, it's time to wake up and realize that Obama is only a continuation of Bush and they are both controlled by the same influences, apparently. Change? Hope? Yeah right!

--airspoon

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
i'm actually surprised... and your right I'm fairly confident those famous two words will be used next

National Security

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Existing thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Great to hear.

This is the second patriot-act right-infringement I've seen here that has been struck down this week.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

To bad they have been doing it all along..When they bring a case forward they call state secrets and get it sealed so the public never hears about it.

By the way is that your dog in the avatar.

If it is it is beautiful. Is that a malinois????? sorry for the spelling..

new topics

top topics

join