It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To those considering leaving the u.s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Not sure where to post this.. So am putting it in skunkworks.. Lately hear a number of people say they want to leave the u.s. Here are a few things to consider as its a big step to pick up and live abroad.. Not everyone can.. Ask yourself - can you adapt to life in another country ?
Are you familiar with the language, customs and culture of the country you want to move to ?
Most countries at a minimum will require the following from you.
1. Usable job skills preferably with degree.
2. Financial - must have funds to support yourself for 90 days.
3. Must have valid job / offer of job. Dont expect to just show up and be able to get a job..
4. Must have a place of residence.
5. No criminal violations - yes they do check.
These are just a few of the requirements and they vary by country.. Many are tightening up the requirements for people seeking residency.. If you just show up at the customs and immigration at another country without meeting minimum requirements.. They will laugh.. Detain you and return you to your country of origin - and blacklist you from being able to return in most cases.
Think very carefully and make sure you can meet requirements.. Moving to another country is not the same as moving to a different city or state. lastly good luck in whatever you decide..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
What about good looks and charm?

Good thread, a great suggestion is learning Spanish at least. Given possible circumstances, South America might be the only option for some.

S&F

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Another avenue is if you have relatives in another country!

For example my relatives in the US could in theory come to live with me in England as long as they are able to support themselves or failing that, I am able and willing to support them.

But as you say not easy.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Good advice..
I'd also suggest if you have the money, get a tourist visa first and take an extended trip to where ever it is you'd like to move to..
Many make the mistake of thinking places are great based on their summer holiday there..
Just remember it isn't always summer and you won't be on holiday...

BTW, Australia is great..
Don't listen to all the talk about our deadly creatures.
Though it is true..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Pretty much every country has requirements for entry, including the U.S.

Originally posted by Expat888
Are you familiar with the language, customs and culture of the country you want to move to ?

I've found that some Americans (note I said SOME - for all those who were about to hit the 'Reply' button and start abusing me as an 'American basher') - SOME Americans just enter the country and whinge and complain that they shouldn't have to follow the rules because 'I am American!!' and whinge constantly about not being able to understand the local language (even if, in my case, it is English spoken with an Aussie accent). I know this for a fact because I met one yesterday here in Sydney - amongst the many others I have met throughout the years....

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

BTW, Australia is great..
Don't listen to all the talk about our deadly creatures.
Though it is true..

Would now be a good time to mention I just killed a Funnel-Web making its nest next to my PC?

Nah really, the deadlies tend to keep to themselves - just don't piss them off and they won't bite you

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I've found that some Americans (note I said SOME - for all those who were about to hit the 'Reply' button and start abusing me as an 'American basher') - SOME Americans just enter the country and whinge and complain that they shouldn't have to follow the rules because 'I am American!!' and whinge constantly about not being able to understand the local language (even if, in my case, it is English spoken with an Aussie accent). I know this for a fact because I met one yesterday here in Sydney - amongst the many others I have met throughout the years....

I travel overseas a lot and to be fair it isn't just the americans..
I find many europeans like that and also some japanese ore very arrogant about it..
That's why they set up their own hotels etc...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

The British are worse then anyone for this.
The amount of times I have been to different European countries and found enclaves of British people living there, unable to speak the language and complaining about the local food / music / lifestyle.
You ask why they moved there and they inevitably say "the weather"
I try to avoid these people like the plague

It is a bit easier for us Europeans to move around though as we have the automatic right to work in any EU country

Edit to add
I've change English to British as I've found plenty of Scots and Irish doing the same

edit on 16-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

My parents went to America when I was but a toddler. I grew up in America. I felt American in every way. So..6 years ago when I was deported form the US to my country of origin, I had a hell of a culture shock. I didn't speak the language, I hated the food, I just couldn't fit in so I sought out the ex pat community, somewhere to maybe feel a little at home. Anything to help the oppressive loneliness and sense that I just didn't belong.

Maybe it was just my bad luck, but these people were some of the most arrogant, rude and just down right mean people I had ever met. Everything was about bringing as much of America to this country as they could whilst slagging off the citizens of said country ( not the UK, I moved here to help me fit in better). In the end, I just didn't fit in with them either.

I just wanted to be home again ( and to be fair I guess they did too). But I learned fairly quickly that the key to happiness is to make your home wherever you are with the tools that are available. Don't try so hard to hold onto what you're used to, live where you are and embrace where you are.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

You are right..
I think some yanks cop a bad name because they are SO loud..

I travel easy also with a British and Australian passport..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I overhead an american man in australia who had got in an argument with a local whom I knew and he said, to quote, "If we were in America I'd shoot you with my gun".

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Another option is to just enter their country illegally after departing the United States. So many people do it when they come here.

For the record, I have no problem with immigration. I have no problem with foreigners. I understand that the United States is a country founded off immigration. I do have a problem with people doing it illegally.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
What about good looks and charm?

Some folks get along quite well with just these 2 qualities alone!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yeah, its all about money and the ability to speak a 'da English.
edit on 17-12-2010 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Does anyone else see a recurring problem here?
So basically, any human, trying to be free of the 'system'...is denied.
By lack of schooling, family and etc.

But to come to America?
All you need is a smile!
....(or a good set of boltcutters and runnin shoes)

If any person on this planet wanted to live somewhere else, they make it impossible.

new topics

top topics

join