It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man reportedly cured of AIDS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Man reportedly cured of AIDS

www.google.com

A very unusual blood transplant appears to have cured an American man living in Berlin of infection with the AIDS virus, but doctors say the approach is not practical for wide use.
The man, who is in his 40s, had a blood stem cell transplant in 2007 to treat leukemia. His donor not only was a good blood match but also had a gene mutation that confers natural resistance to HIV.
Now, three years later, the recipient shows no signs of leukemia or HIV infection, according to a report in the journal
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
tribune.com.pk

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Some good news for a change. The words "impractical for wide use" sounds like this method is expensive. But as with everything new, its only a matter of time before it becomes more widespread, hopefully.

This is not the first and only report of the successful treatment of AIDS. Afterall, there must be some reason why certain celebrities who were diagnosed with AIDS decades ago are still alive and thriving today.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
According to the article the donor had a gene mutation resistant to the virus. Maybe this is a rare thing...?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yeah-Alright
According to the article the donor had a gene mutation resistant to the virus. Maybe this is a rare thing...?

I dont know enough about the subject matter to evaluate this either way. Im just happy that small rays of hope shine through here and there.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Yeah-Alright

Correct. It's a rare genetic mutation which is highly resistant to the virus.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

There's atleast two other threads on this Sky..

Personally I think it may be a push to get stemcells accepted..
I'm against it, not because of the starting concept but because of what it may lead to..

The movie "The Island" springs to mind...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by Yeah-Alright

I dont know enough about the subject matter to evaluate this either way. Im just happy that small rays of hope shine through here and there.

Yeah you are right. Even if it can give hope to few people if not all, this is certainly a good thing.

As for the celebs, with what i know about this subject that when the hiv infection is detected (before it becomes AIDS), if they start the treatment immediately, then they can stop the growth of the infection and lead a near-normal life. so maybe in their case it is not AIDS, it is HIV... i might be wrong though, but this is what i can recall from that article.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

There's atleast two other threads on this Sky..

Personally I think it may be a push to get stemcells accepted..
I'm against it, not because of the starting concept but because of what it may lead to..

The movie "The Island" springs to mind...

A conspiracy-theorist is someone who manages to put a negative spin on even the most uplifting news. Regardless of whether it will turn out to be so or not, you are good at that.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
open topic here www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
open topic here www.abovetopsecret.com...

Didnt realize that. Thanks. If there is another one in "Breaking Alternative News" I´ll ask Mods to close this one.
edit on 16-12-2010 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2010 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

A conspiracy-theorist is someone who manages to put a negative spin on even the most uplifting news. Regardless of whether it will turn out to be so or not, you are good at that.

Thanks for the Off Topic attack..I hope a mod is around to remove it..

I do wonder though why you are a mod on a conspiracy site attacking someone you think sees a conspiracy..

But cloning is NOT a conspiracy theory, it's a fact.....
There's quite often an agenda in what they do..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
First off, HIV and AIDS aren't the same thing. The title is incorrect. He wasn't cured of AIDS, he was supposedly cured of HIV.

Second, if you are infected with HIV, you have a window of about 3 hours to get to a hospital where they can inject you with something where it will prevent you from contracting HIV. This is common in the medical field where if a nurse is drawing blood from a HIV possitive patient, and then accidently sticks herself with the needle. She then will be given a treatment to sorta fix the problem.

link   
First off, HIV and AIDS aren't the same thing. The title is incorrect. He wasn't cured of AIDS, he was supposedly cured of HIV.

Second, if you are infected with HIV, you have a window of about 3 hours to get to a hospital where they can inject you with something where it will prevent you from contracting HIV. This is common in the medical field where if a nurse is drawing blood from a HIV possitive patient, and then accidently sticks herself with the needle. She then will be given a treatment to sorta fix the problem.

link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Thanks for the Off Topic attack..I hope a mod is around to remove it..

I do wonder though why you are a mod on a conspiracy site attacking someone you think sees a conspiracy..

But cloning is NOT a conspiracy theory, it's a fact.....
There's quite often an agenda in what they do..

I was saying that in a light-hearted manner. You even take that as an attack/conspiracy? Relax man.

I dont think that the doctors working to cure this mans AIDS are necessarily involved in an agenda to push stem cell research.

link   

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrnBdry

Second, if you are infected with HIV, you have a window of about 3 hours to get to a hospital

But that does not appear to have been the case with this person.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Sorry mate..Humour is hard to tell on a screen..

I dont think that the doctors working to cure this mans AIDS are necessarily involved in an agenda to push stem cell research.

I guess it is my CT mind a little..
I always wonder where things like HIV and these other viruses come from in the first place..
Many think they are man made and I have seen some evidence of the possibility..

So it just makes you cautious when you hear things like this..

edit on 16-12-2010 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

The way these things work, it was probably a natural disease, and then somebody "enhanced" it. Kind of like intensifying what was already there.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Afterall, there must be some reason why certain celebrities who were diagnosed with AIDS decades ago are still alive and thriving today.

Yes, there is... Anti Retro-Viral drugs (ARV), which are commonly used to keep HIV positive people from developing AIDS. Not just celebrities, by the way - in Botswana they are widely provided to the public through government funding, or at least were a few years ago.

Moving on to the case in hand, bone-marrow (blood stem cell) transplants can be used for a number of diseases, but they are only widely used for diseases like leukaemia. They are often impractical because a) the match has to be very good, or else the transplanted bone marrow will give rise to an immune systemt that will attack the recipient's cells and b) there aren't that many people willing to donate, even relative to leukaemia patients, and so giving much-needed donated marrow to people with diseases that, while debilitating, don't have to be a death-sentence (most HIV patients on ARVs can lead lives verging on perfectly normal), would reduce health-services capacity to treat leukaemia patients.

Which is naturally not a hugely tempting option.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

Thanks to your post I now understand why you dont hear much about AIDS in the news since a decade. It can be treated so that people can lead a fairly normal life.

I also now understand why the treatment mentioned in the OP is impractical - because donors are needed. Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join