It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did I just take a picture of the classic "Flying Saucer" ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
What do you mean by "getting the pictures developed"? You took them with a film camera? They look digital to me.

BTW it isn't just pixelation around the UFO, it's blatantly a perfect square of pixelation. It looks like you simply cut out the object with a square cut tool instead of putting the effort in to manually cut the object itself.

Try harder next time, especially when there's a risk of ban.
edit on 16/12/10 by Nventual because: (no reason given)

He cut out a square from a picture with the same background gradient/color as this picture? You got to be kidding. Try harder next time especially when's there's a risk of looking like you don't know what you're talking about.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

What do you mean by "getting the pictures developed"? You took them with a film camera? They look digital to me.

BTW it isn't just pixelation around the UFO, it's blatantly a perfect square of pixelation. It looks like you simply cut out the object with a square cut tool instead of putting the effort in to manually cut the object itself.

There are pixel squares around the telephone lines also in spots. Care to explain those?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
is there any before and after frames of the same spot?

they would be helpful im sure

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wally Hope
I'm no expert but something raises a red flag when I see pixelation and straight lines around an object that doesn't match the background...

Makes it look like it was added to the image.

The mountains and the electric wires also have pixelations in them. Are they also added in the pic? I don't think so. Hence, we can say that pixelations can occur even in original pics in the photo.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
God, give it a rest, the square pixelation around the object it's perfectly normal for a JPEG compressed image and it does not mean it's a pasted object.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Radiobuzz
God, give it a rest, the square pixelation around the object it's perfectly normal for a JPEG compressed image and it does not mean it's a pasted object.

That's what's odd..The OP states it was film...
Pixelation in film???

So unless the people at Wal-Mart did when I went there to pick them up after they were developed, then I dunno what else to tell you.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I'm no expert but something raises a red flag when I see pixelation and straight lines around an object that doesn't match the background...

But Wally,
when you look at the image that you have provided here, the pixelization not only surrounds the object in question, it also continies in a straight line down over the horizon and onto the earth. For what you are saying to be true, the OP would have to cut and paste from an image that matches the background of both the light light sky and the darker earth.
Just using the evidence that you provided here.

With that being said, I dont think this looks like the 'classic' UFO at all, there are dozen of possible explanations here, the image is just too far away to be seen clearly.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Its a UFO with aliens inside and it is abducting a cow.

Or, maybe a glitch.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I also examined the complete picture and the same pixelated 'squares' also surround the mountains in the background, the phone wires, the telephone pole and any other dark object in the picture. I highly doubt that this image was 'pasted' into the photograph. Just zoom in on the dual peaks to the left of the craft. It is also surrounded by a square pixel frame.

But with that being said, the image isn't clear enough for a positive identification. It could be a bird, a plane or even superman. I appreciate you posting it here, regardless of the detractors. The way I see it is that every piece of the puzzle is necessary to complete the puzzle, regardless if it's just one of those pieces that look like it doesn't belong anywhere.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Wow, over 5 years here and you are still unaware of how jpeg artefact works.

Thats sad...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Originally posted by Radiobuzz

That's what's odd..The OP states it was film...
Pixelation in film???

So unless the people at Wal-Mart did when I went there to pick them up after they were developed, then I dunno what else to tell you.

Ahh so you are looking at the film on your monitor, and not a jpeg copy of it.

Right, gotya.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
My guess would be it's an insect. I've caught a few myself taking sky shots - suddenly seeing a WTF in the distance, but when I repeat the action, I can sometimes capture similar things, and I know there was nothing in the sky when I try to do it on purpose.

Don't let the "Oh BAN!!111 hoaxxx" people get to you, post away.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This is for sure a UFO a reptillian told me don't believe these Naaaaaahsaaaayers you are with zorgon the gelly dean orphace king and he says trust him it IS A REAL UFO!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by -Blackout-
Anyhow, as I got the pictures developed, in one of them I notice this "thing" in the sky. I really have no idea what it is. Hopefully someone here can perhaps tell me what it is in this picture. [...] And also, at the time of taking the picture, I did not notice anything in the sky.

Practically everyone who mentions this has taken a picture of a bird. We tend not to notice birds flying around when we're taking pictures, and these days digital cameras with slow "shutter" speeds give flying birds that aerodynamic blur shape. This is one of the most common things mistaken for a UFO in photos.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

That's called a "Blocking Artifcat" and it is a result of jpg compression -- it is NOT necessarily a result of tampering.

Jpg compression makes raw image files smaller by interpolating pixels. When one object that is of one general color is on a background of a dissimilar color, the jpg compression algorithm attempts to "guess" the color of the pixels immediately between the two colors. it does this in groups of 8x8 pixel squares. The basic sqaure immediately around the object is 16x16 pixels (four 8x8 groups)

This seems exactly what we have here -- a classic blocking artifact.

If you look closely at the sky itself, you can also vaguely see that it, too, has faint 8x8-pixel blocking. The blocking is just more pronounced where a dark object is against the sky.

Unless you can explain how the pixelation around the object ends in a square of straight lines then I say it is a fake.
That is an obvious sign that the object was added to the image.

I just did explain, so that's why it's not "fake".

EDIT TO ADD:
Having said that, the object itself could easily be a bird.

edit on 12/16/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The pixelation has happened before in another ufo thread, and it wasn't the smoking gun for hoaxery. It has something to do with the aliasing, or resizing/compression of the image to jpg format, or something to that extent. There are other ways to find if it's been doctored.

I thought the same thing in the other thread until it was disproved.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
"Anyhow, as I got the pictures developed, in one of them I notice this "thing" in the sky."

So how did the film negative make it into electronic form?

Please add date and time for the image.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

Hey bud... I travel to West Texas every year and I've seen some strange things in the sky as well. The place I camp is in a no fly zone and I never see any planes in the sky at all except for the occasional border patrol helecopter. I'm wondering if this pic might have been taken in one of those no fly zones....

Balmorhae is about 65 Mi North of the place I go to so I know how desolate it is out there. There are almost no birds to speak of, very rare to see one really.

Also, I'm wondering if this photo was taken w/a film camera and then scanned. If it was, maybe you can save the file as a TIFF or BMP to eliminate the compression artifacts. i'm no photo expert though... just thinking out loud....

edit on 16-12-2010 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
maybe. but who knows. I dont know what it looks like actually...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

Is there any chance you could upload another scan of this in higher resolution? That would be helpful, I'm sure.
Besides, now I'm curious to know what it is.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join