It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange awaits bail hearing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange awaits bail hearing

www.bbc.co.uk

Swedish authorities will be at the High Court on Thursday to try to block bail for Julian Assange, founder of the whistle-blowing website Wikileaks.

The 39-year-old Australian was granted bail earlier this week on condition he provides sureties of £240,000.

But he has remained in Wandsworth Prison after Swedish prosecutors appealed against giving him bail.

Mr Assange is fighting extradition to Sweden where he faces sex allegations involving two women, which he denies.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
In, out and shake it all about. I heard the news on this, this morning - they were interviewing a London police chief I think. It says in this news item that it is the Swedish authorities who are opposing bail, but the interviewer questioned the officer on a statement that had come from the Swedish authorities that they did not 'care' if Assange was bailed or not - and that this move was a British one. The officer would not comment as it's in court this morning.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

I can not believe the mess this has turned out to be.. something is certainly wrong.. rejected warrants, appeals and what not

I hope he gets out today and as his solicitor said, Sweden abides by the umpires decision..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
What the interviewer asked this morning was if this was actually the British authorities opposing bail and not the Swedes. (Today Programme BBC Radio4) Below is the link for the 'listen again' function where people can hear the interview I did. (About 1 hour into the show). You can't hear at the moment cos its still on air but from about 10am UK time it will be available.

Radio 4 Today Prog

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

Its still a complete mess, and screams show trial to me...

Tho I still am not convinced on his motives for being in the UK in the first place, I know if I was in his position, given the UKs moniker of being the USAs poodle, the UK would have been near to the bottom of the list of nations in which I'd choose to hide.

having said that I hope he gets bail today since if it is refused then I think things might start getting messier..

BTW.. forgot to add: thanks for the link

edit on 16/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Yep - I don't really know. Here is a better story from the Guardian explaining that it is the british who have been opposing bail.

The decision to have Julian Assange sent to a London jail and kept there was taken by the British authorities and not by prosecutors in Sweden, as previously thought, the Guardian has learned.

The Crown Prosecution Service will go to the high court tomorrow to seek the reversal of a decision to free the WikiLeaks founder on bail, made yesterday by a judge at City of Westminster magistrates court.

The Guardian - 16 December 2010

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well well well it is the Crown Prosecution Service who is seeking a reversal of the bail decision.
Why was Assange's lawyers told it was Sweden, Why do the CPS want him kept in prison until the extradition hearing, which could take months.

I smell an ever bigger rat.

Edited because someone beat me to the Guardian link.

edit on 16-12-2010 by dizzylizzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Of course, the Swedes may just be trying to be extremelly legalistic, in the sense that probably they play no legal role on fighting bail or not, other than a purely advisory role.

But on the other hand, the cat may be getting out of the bag...

Maybe the tories traded him for an hearing with Obama, pretty much like the offer to Slovenia to trade an hearing for a Guantanamo detainee... After all we know from the leaks that they want to diligently serve the US...

edit on 16-12-2010 by jmlima because: typo

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jmlima

Yes....it does look as if we are serving the US yet again. Good grief!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
reply to post by jmlima

Yes....it does look as if we are serving the US yet again. Good grief!!!

To be honest I can't come to any other conclusion...

deep shame and bad form in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
The cat is denitevely getting out of the bag:

...Assange's lawyer Mark Stephens said this was "highly irregular":

He told PA:

The question we have to ask is if they weren't talking to the Swedes, who were they talking to? It's highly irregular because, as (director of public prosecutions) Keir Starmer said on Radio 4 this morning, the CPS are supposed to act as the agents of the Swedish authorities and they appear to be acting without the knowledge of their director or the Swedes.

It remains opaque and unclear as to who actually gave the order to oppose bail. ...

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmlima
The cat is denitevely getting out of the bag:

...Assange's lawyer Mark Stephens said this was "highly irregular":

He told PA:

The question we have to ask is if they weren't talking to the Swedes, who were they talking to? It's highly irregular because, as (director of public prosecutions) Keir Starmer said on Radio 4 this morning, the CPS are supposed to act as the agents of the Swedish authorities and they appear to be acting without the knowledge of their director or the Swedes.

It remains opaque and unclear as to who actually gave the order to oppose bail. ...

www.guardian.co.uk...

There is not way this will not get messier if the US are implicated even by circumstantial evidence or innuendo as the ones opposing bail.

I have heard people commenting if Blair was a poodle, what breed is Cameron?.. a Shih Tzu?
(sorry couldn't resist)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
It doesn’t matter which party is in office – they all kow tow to the American administration (again it matters not which one). Its a real embarrassment and I would like to know why.

We paid off the WWII debt a few years ago now....they’re in deeper debt than we are, we are estranging ourselves from other potential allies because of the yes man mentality. They used to tell us the world needed America; that it was the economic power house of the world. The BRIC countries will soon dwarf the American consumer – and they’ll be using real money – not debt.

Fact is that America needs the rest of the world far more than the rest of the world needs it. So why is the UK administration always playing the lapdog?

edit on 16-12-2010 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Consider this.

Perhaps it would be better if Julian remains locked up, and not charged. His insurance is his file. As long as he had not been charged or killed, it remains secret.

Better than to allow him on the streets, whereby perhaps a few may be tempted to murder him either due to desire to know what's in the rest of the files or simply out of vengence by the middle ranks for exposing their failings.

This way, the secrets remains safe, at least for a period of time till the authorities and well wishing humanity are sure of what to do to him.

Only thing is, may he be place in comfortable isolation. He deserved at least that. Mankind demands of it.
edit on 16-12-2010 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Priceless:

Stephens now insists that Sweden IS leading the appeal.

"We are coming here today at the request of the Swedish government. We are aware that the Swedes asked for an appeal, we are also aware that the Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer has also said that all that the CPS is doing is the bidding of the Swedish government."

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmlima
Priceless:

Stephens now insists that Sweden IS leading the appeal.

"We are coming here today at the request of the Swedish government. We are aware that the Swedes asked for an appeal, we are also aware that the Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer has also said that all that the CPS is doing is the bidding of the Swedish government."

Don;t worry sky is still repeating the line that this has nothing to do with Sweden and the opposition to bail solely down to the British Authorities doing the bidding of the British Government.. which opens the door in minds like mine to wonder who is pulling the strings of the British Government... which only has a limited answer even if it is innuendo.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Yes - ever since Blair's 'shoulder to shoulder' statement I've wanted to know who owned him and our government. Still waiting for an update on Assange. Anyone know if he's actually in court yet?

Dang blasted Daily Mail have printed a story (No link - I can't stand the paper) saying he's begging to have his address kept secret - and they've printed pictures of the house!!!! Knowing the mail - its a sidewinder.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

Yes - ever since Blair's 'shoulder to shoulder' statement I've wanted to know who owned him and our government. Still waiting for an update on Assange. Anyone know if he's actually in court yet?

Dang blasted Daily Mail have printed a story (No link - I can't stand the paper) saying he's begging to have his address kept secret - and they've printed pictures of the house!!!! Knowing the mail - its a sidewinder.

Sky had the Wagon going into the court quite a while ago and this judge has ruled (at the start of the hearing) that tweets are not allowed

I saw pics of the house and google location Tuesday in one of the US media outlets
The Mail it seems are being a bit slow on this one.

It certainly is going to be controversial over who is pulling the strings to press ahead with the opposition to bail.

Edit to add: Sky are reporting that the CPS have 4 points to oppose bail, one of which is the serious nature of the charges, another is to prevent him from absconding

*shakes head* this seems more and more a show trial..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Waiting with interest.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
The judge ruling on the bail appeal is apparently the same judge who allowed the Indian man whose wife was recently murdered in South Africa to go free on bail.

Suspected murder with concrete evidence vs. suspected rape without clear evidence...

If Assange is not released on bail, we know that this whole charade is politically motivated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join