It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe ablaze: riots scorch six nations

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

We agree on that, for the cost of living they should be working.

But they will graduate (or not) and find work to earn a living and pay taxes until retirement.
More than enough to have done something in return for the education they received imo.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by godddd

Taxes pay for alot more than just education. I believe and agree with the Government that it is perfectly fair to ask Graduates, who will most likely go on to earn a very good living, to pay back what the State provided for them when they were young. No one forced them to go to Uni, so no one else should be footing the bill for their education.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Now, for my American brothers and sisters....when are WE going to get fed up enough to do something?

Your statement is very telling. You don't even know what you want to do. You just want to do "something". If your goal is that loosely defined, you won't do anything. You also need to define just who you are against. This is not the "people vs. the government." The majority of us do not agree with the minority of you. You may be heartened by a few students with no jobs with the time to riot in the streets for stupid self-serving reasons, but the large majority, including the 93% who DO have jobs (in my area) are not going to let people like you destroy the country. And unlike most of Europe, we are armed. So think twice before you 'bring it on.' I suspect you would be quite disappointed at the result.

My statement is not very telling, unless you are:

a) highly skilled in various pseudosciences such as "linguistic analysis" or "phrenology"
b) trying to take what I say, in microcosm, and extrapolate it to where ever your imagination takes you.

Before we even discuss your post, i will need you to quantify this "majority" who disagree with my viewpoint. I call shenanigans, and think you are just making up faux stats (you know you can't use real numbers, so stick with the vague "majority").

And your being armed has nothing to do with this conversation. Quit making pedantic, veiled threats.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Ahh...your second day on the forums. Welcome aboard.

I don't think anyone here is talking about free anything. I think they are rioting because the tuition rates were jacked up 3 fold without warning.

Of course, if you spent your whole life saving for college, only to try to enroll and find your plan for 4 entire years of tuition is hosed, and will be spent on only your freshman year.

If you think that is right...ok. But know that I disagree. A REASONABLE mark up (5%) would be within tolerance. But 300%? How do you plan for THAT?

No, this isn't about wanting something free. It is about wanting something stable, and wanting to see the stuffy old codgers give up a little something, too.

And it is about class warfare.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You miss the point, no one in the UK has to pay a bean for Uni until after they have completed their course and after they get a job that pays in excess of £21k (easily done by a graduate). So no one has to save "their entire life" for Uni as they State foots the bill, only to be paid back over 20 odd years by the graduate after the fact.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
There is definitely more going on in Europe than 'just' students being unhappy about tuition costs.
I have posted this on another thread and would like to invite you to watch the video from a peaceful demonstration in Germany that turned violent (not from the protesters side but the police).
Please understand those are schools kids, doctors, lawyers, people of all ages and walk of life, on the streets weekly!!!
Previous post:
Stuttgart, weekly protests since the last 52 weeks. Some weekend demonstrations had over 100,000 people on the streets. On of the protests turned violent (by the police) and over 400 people got injured, my Brother right in the middle of things.
Gorleben, over 100,000 protest, over 1000 injured.

I am fairly new posting stuff but here is a video from Stuttgart ( I wonder if you can watch it all the way through, it makes you soooo sick to your stomach). This is not 'normal' for Germany (I wrote more about it below).
www.youtube.com...

and a news article from Gorleben (in English):
alethonews.wordpress.com...

People are waking up and saying no more!

My five cents on Stuttgart, as written on my facebook page:
This video is about something sooooo awful happening on 09/30/2010. Germans have named it 'Black Thursday'.
The video is very hard to watch, but here is my message and a little bit of a background:
These people are the frontrunners. Doing the work for all of us, saying 'No more', we are the people and we have a voice'!
German people do not understand the violence that is being used by the policeforce/government against them. Please understand, this is new to us, picture this happening in Central Park NY and you get a good idea of it.
1000 young teenagers (school groups) age 11 to 18 held a peaceful protest in the park, as well as about 500 protesters from all walks of life. The protest was (as by law) reported to the city weeks in advance.
The schoolkids wanted to hold a peaceful vigilance for the trees, sitting in quiet and holding banners. Word got out that P...olice is marching in with heavy equipment. There is a group, called Parkschuetzer.de (save the Park) were over 100,000 people have signed up to save the park. A system has been put in place by this group to text message anybody on this list if something major happens in the city/park. Everybody got a text saying' come to the park asap, police is marching in, trees are being cut). Over 1500 were able to show up.

Heavy equipment and 1000 police forces march into the park. Everybody is peaceful! Out of nowhere the Police 'opens fire' with powerful watercannons and pepperspray.
This went on for 4!!! hours. Not one of the protesters retreated, not one! Ambulances were called and people were told 'we don't sent ambulances for protesters' (recorded on audio!). EMTs were sent by the Parkschuetzer group.
Over 400 people got injured. Two people lost their eyesight, many had broken bones and broken skulls. Due to the vicious beating from the police as well as the powerful force of the watercannons.
That very night over 1000 people showed up in the park, to watch many trees getting cut. My brother describes it as this: We were standing there, wounded soldiers, the trees where surrounded by 1000 police officers. One by one the trees fell, like soldier in the war...and there was nothing we could do, but cry. But
the very next day over 100,000 people went on the streets to protest, peacefully once more.
My brother says, for every one, understandably, angry protester there are 100 taking care of him, calming him down and reminding him with hugs and whatever else it takes about the motto: peaceful , always peaceful.

A few days later it was proclaimed that the remaining trees won't be cut 'for right now'. The construction of the train station will be halted 'for now'.
This is far from over, but at least it is a beginning.

What is this about?
1994 Stuttgart/ Germany decides that we need a new trainstation. Plans are being drawn, constructions sites found, money calculated.
Little by little, over the years, we, the People, find out what this means.
We will loose our park and over 300 hundreds year old trees, the architectural monument, our old train station will be torn down and the project will cost about $4Billion. Yes you have heard right, $4Billion.
The citizens of Stuttgart decided to protest. Groups were formed and since 2009, for more than 50!! weeks every Monday demonstrations are being held, with more than 6000 people showing up, every single Monday.
Once and twice a month major demonstrations are being held, with people marching through town, more than 100,000 people, every month. Every big demo has a motto, my favorite being 'enough said' with people dressed in black and V for Vendetta masks, marching through the city with not one sound but a few powerful drums.
On Black Thursday the government decided they had enough and what happened is shown on the video.
I am in awe of my Country, my City, my Brother.
It might be hard to watch but keep in mind, the courage they have shown, the ongoing peace, the strength to say 'no more'. I hope you might find a little of YOUR 'no more' in these people.
BTW, since we are on a 'conspiracy website...the trainstation they are building is believed by many to be way more than just a 'trainstation'. It is mostly underground, the costs make no sense, it is called 'the Heart of Europe" , it has 8 tracks instead of the over 40 we have right now, the tracks are going to Paris, Vienna and, out of all places...Budapest (nobody has any idea why Budapest), there is no need to built a new trainstation, the one we have is actually beautiful (if you can call a train station so), in a historical building, I could go on and on.....but that's just conspiracy, no prove for anything. Read, but very onesided!: 'Stuttgart 21'.
Please understand my Brother is in the middle of this, weekly/daily, he sees what is going on and what is being told in the media.

edit on 16-12-2010 by komisch because: acidently wrote Friday instead of Thursday

edit on 16-12-2010 by komisch because: Forgot to include some info

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Sometimes you need more than words! They will forever be walking over the top of you if you lay down all the time. You can be talking for so long and getting nowhere, then people get angry and frustrated. That is when the time to talk ceases, when it is going to affect not just you but your children and grandchildren.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by komisch

Your video:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

yea and maybe these paople can pop over to the states and give its people a back bone and a kick up the arse!
the things that are happening in the u.s yet they sit there taking it.....?!
they need a good riot over there ....get a bit of life about them!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by komisch

I watched the video.
Your countrymen and women are very brave. You should be proud.
We all need to fight the beast.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

well...

i stand corrected.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

Thank you very much for posting the video
. If you look closely you will see the 'all walks of life' people. They all know it is more than 'just' about a park and trees and a trainstation....To think the students were known to be in the park, weeks in advance, to get the equipment and police force together took days of planning. They knew what they were doing. That's to everybody the most painful part.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
All of this talk concentrating on the students is missing the larger picture for the next few years.

The student riots will be nothing compared to those who become jobless through the cuts over the next year. On top of this we have a veritable u-turn in policy for the NHS who were told that the service would be ringfenced however now have to make defacto cuts never seen before in any health service in the developed world. How that will effect us remains to be seen but I think it will not be good.

So with all those newly sacked thousands looking for work that they will not get because polish recruitment agencies have even temp work sown up with the sweetners offered to potential employers and that does not include other nationalities that have come here!

They who also have mortgages et al will not be able to make payments thus there will be largescale repo's etc.. The anger will become immense.

All the problem childs of mass immigration, joblessness, economics, islam et al will cause huge trouble in the near future, and the student thing no matter how presented will be viewed as another nail in the coffin of the betterment of oneself as being outpriced od HEd.

I wonder what the final straw will be?

It will be something stupid, but its always that last stupid straw that breaks the camels back!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Every year Germans decide on the "word of the year'.
The word of the Year 2010 is "Wutbürger/ Rage Citizen". It is not a word you find in the dictionary, but rather a new word that stands for the "outrage of the people over their governments political decisions without the Peoples consent, input and agreement." Stuttgart 21 made it on #2 on the list, which some of you have followed the news
. You go Germany!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join