It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if it is ALL a lie?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Imagine this scenario: You wake up tommorow and discover that ALL organized religion is a lie. There is no afterlife, you are here now and that's all you get, no need to ask forgiveness, no life good or bad to flash before your eyes. Do you do things differently?
I personally do not commit crimes because the risk reward ratio is out of line, rob a bank, get maybe ten grand if you're luck, get caught and do ten years. One thousand dollars a year? Clearly not worth the risk. In this instance religion does not influence my decision because "my" version of god would understand and forgive me especially if I was starving and had a family to support.
Take it one step further, in the wake of this announcement there is chaos and anarchy, the police are unable to quell the masses and as crime rates soar the police abandon their profession and blend in with the masses,
Now you pretty much free to do as you wish. Life without consequences, what would you do differently, what are you capable of.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I had that experience about the time I stopped believing in Santa.

Don't worry you get over it pretty quickly

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

God was replaced by self-absorption a long time ago, for most people. Few left do the work of "God". Most of us just do what is best for us. And the ego is a stern taskmaster...

Most of us love ourselves too much to risk prison, consequences, pain, or discomfort.

Welcome to the Church of "Me"... Now get to Wal Mart and tithe, tithe, tithe.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

WIll still continue to LIGHT were natas has darkened...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Morality exists without religion.

Even without being religious I have compassion toward my fellow EARTHLY organisms, not just human beings.

I care about someone I don't know enough to show compassion even if it could have a negative impact on myself.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Is a simple risk reward calculation REALLY the only reason that you don;t commit crimes? nothing to do with not wanting to hurt or steal from or cause other peoples life to be worse just for your own needs?

You don't need the bible or a risk assessment to decide doing bad things to other people is bad.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Is a simple risk reward calculation REALLY the only reason that you don;t commit crimes? nothing to do with not wanting to hurt or steal from or cause other peoples life to be worse just for your own needs?

You don't need the bible or a risk assessment to decide doing bad things to other people is bad.

To be perfectly honest with you, yes. I make almost all of my decisions based upon the risk reward ratio. The final qualifier is almost always "will I go to hell for this"? In my opinion many evil people live only because it is illegal to kill them, examples being serial killers and those who harm children. There can be little doubt that the world is a better place without them. I am absolutely NOT condoning violence, just trying to make a point.
In the abscence of any kind of deterrent divine or otherwise, the only obstacle is your own moral code, those who have flexible ethics have a distinct advantage.
Crouching behind a rock in Afghanistan the sniper ignores the first commandment because there is no risk of prosecution and the drill seargent said god was on his side.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

And ... What's up with these 4000+ religions on this planet, how do we know which one is the real one while the rest are a lie? How are we suppose to figure out which one to subscribe to? I don't want to pick the wrong one either and end up worshiping a false idol and then spending eternity in hell or having my head chopped off or find myself nailed to a cross or whatever.

Obvious, only one of them could be correct while the rest are a lie. Worst case though is that they could all be a lie. "Hey god or ahlalalala or bubbah or boobah or whatever, are we suppose to guess which one of yous are real deal? Am I suppose to cave into the one with the worst threatening threats? Shall I risk a beheading or eternal damnation or what?"

Decisions, decisions, which do I choose? Do I flip a coin? I don't want to kill infidels, and I don't want to have to beat our women, but what if the muslims are the real deal? Should I be spitting on that fake Jesus instead? What if (god forbid) the Lutherans are correct? Oh gawd, the horror of it all. Make it all go away, please ...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Ive already concluded its was all a lie. life must go on until i doesnt

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
Imagine this scenario: You wake up tommorow and discover that ALL organized religion is a lie.

In 1600 in the English language the letters "G-o-d" meant NOTHING.

There were other words then which meant the Almighty One.

It was in 1610 someone made up the word "G-o-d". It was pulled straight from someone's rear. Completely made up.

This is the 400th Anniversary of the made up word "God" in the English language. You'd think if the religion had something backing it up they would have atleast kept the original name of the Almighty One.

Versus pulling the word out of someone's rear and making it up in 1610.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
IMHO the honesty of most members would have something to do with living life now, with the same scenario. That's how I live my life. My questions are answered, and I live as if I knew that the answers were in front of me. If I had to deal with any other reality, I know that I am solely held accountable and am willing to do such.

Its a scary thought but keeps me trying and perusing the life that most fail to try to get to, due to fear. I am not always happy, and may even procrastinate, as if I know that I have more time, but you know what? I'm willing to deal with that too.

Accountability is the door to all fear, and finding out what you can and cannot do is what will keep you striving.
Peace, NRE.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamanistical

It's not about proving one wrong and the others right. Until you delete your ego's programming, you won't get past that duality complex of right/wrong. Realize that they are both everything and nothing, being expressed by the eternal creation of more nothing and more something. Through every spirit, everything is expressed.

We have all of infinity to eat our pi.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
All religions are man-made, aka made up. The biggest conspiracy is that they are all totally irrelevant. It doesn't matter how many hours you worship an idol.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
No religion does not not mean no God. It also does not mean that there's no reason to be compassionate. Reality is not as it's been presented, but the value in being kind and giving is not a myth. There are actual ramifications to selfishness and malevolence that have nothing to do with the claims of any religion.

I actually feel stained when I treat someone badly. Especially if that treatment wasn't warranted. This isn't due to social programming - at least not in my case. I was raised to eat prey, and to not let anyone slip through. Religion has never been a chain that holds me back from doing whatever it is that I need or want to do.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
When people wake up to the fact that it is all a lie then we may actually achieve something as a species. By which I mean that instead of waiting for some saintly savior to return and make everything OK, we will realize the only people that can make everything better is ourselves and together we can create a brighter future.

Peace and Compassion

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

There's no "discovery" day for me.

It's evident that religion is false.

No man can claim to reveal wisdom of how the universe was started, or if it even started at all. No man can them claim to go further and say that they know the desires of the designer, or that the designer has desires at all. No one can know this (yet anyway)

Let's remember, "GOD", has come from an early man that didn't even know the Earth orbitted the Sun, never mind how the universe was created.

To me, these claims to "truth" are equal glimpses of the untrue.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Although i am an Atheist, i cannot claim to KNOW there is NO GOD.

In the same way that i can't claim to KNOW there is a diamond buried in my back yard with out investigating.

In this sense i am Agnostic.

Any human who claims to know should be treated with great suspicion.

I do not respect any human who claims to know without evidence. This is why i am Against Theism.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

God was replaced by self-absorption a long time ago, for most people. Few left do the work of "God". Most of us just do what is best for us. And the ego is a stern taskmaster...

Most of us love ourselves too much to risk prison, consequences, pain, or discomfort.

Welcome to the Church of "Me"... Now get to Wal Mart and tithe, tithe, tithe.

~Heff

You are aware that "gods work" was actually the work of the religions and governments, using religion for the purpose it was created for: control the masses.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

To be a bit more crude;

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."

-Napoleon Bonaparte

new topics

top topics

join