It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8000 year-old Sun temple found in Bulgaria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
8000 year-old Sun temple found in Bulgaria

The oldest temple of the Sun has been discovered in northwest Bulgaria, near the town of Vratsa, aged at more then 8000 years, the Bulgarian National Television (BNT) reported on December 15 2010.

The Bulgarian 'Stonehenge' is hence about 3000 years older than its illustrious English counterpart. But unlike its more renowned English cousin, the Bulgarian sun temple was not on the surface, rather it was dug out from under tons of earth and is shaped in the form of a horse shoe, the report said.

The temple was found near the village of Ohoden. According to archaeologists, the prehistoric people used the celestial facility to calculate the seasons and to determine the best times for sowing and harvest. The site was also used for rituals, offering gifts to the Sun for fertility as BNT reported.

From the "Bulgarian National Television", I'll try and find more sources for the claim. Archeologist Georgi Ganetsovski also made discoveries of the "First Europeans" and belongs to the Bulgarian Archaeological Association and the Vratsa Museum.

There's a large number of henges spread throughout Europe, although none as famous or elaborate as the one in England.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Nice find.
That goes to show for how long sun worshipping has been going on.
Good thread S&F

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
That goes to show for how long sun worshipping has been going on.

Well, Sun-Worship is just plain obvious as the first religion. This big, inexplicable, life-giving orb which moves through the sky with no sign of any volition to its actions, which periodically and occasionally retreats from view (eclipses and cloud cover respectively)...

Yeah, early sentients are gonna worship that thing.
edit on 15-12-2010 by Solasis because: editing a minor "attack" which really did not have any source, y'know?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Yea, or they could worship Alien beings like the Summerians...
I dont see your point.
The moon was up there also. And I was referring to the physical evidence, as in, what is posted here.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
reply to post by Solasis

Yea, or they could worship Alien beings like the Summerians...
I dont see your point.
The moon was up there also. And I was referring to the physical evidence, as in, what is posted here.

Actually there are texts that talk about the moon being put into place. I will have to search for the reference for you, but the moon wasn't always there. Or atleast, where it is now. I believe its somewhere in the Vedas the moon is talked about as being put into place by the "gods". Anyyway - since the Sun gives life to everything on this planet, of course it was worshiped... Why wouldn't it be? I guess the problem with some of the sun worship was when they started all the sacrifice bull#....

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what my post was supposed to accomplish ^^;;; I even knew that was what you meant.

I'll edit the "really?" out. Sorry that I attacked you (rather gently, I think, for my state of mind!)!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis

Well, Sun-Worship is just plain obvious as the first religion. This big, inexplicable, life-giving orb which moves through the sky with no sign of any volition to its actions, which periodically and occasionally retreats from view (eclipses and cloud cover respectively)...

Yeah, early sentients are gonna worship that thing.

Even beyond the immediate impact that you describe, sun worship actually makes a lot more rational sense than one might suppose at first. After all, life on earth would not be possible without the sun. All plant (and thus animal) life depends on the sun in a very obvious, immediate way. Moreover (although ancient man could not have known this), every atom in our bodies except for the hydrogen and helium atoms was created inside a star.

It's no longer much in vogue, but there was a time when academics and others looked at early religions through the lens of "sun worshippers" versus "earth worshippers," The idea being that earth worship was rooted in the divine feminine and was more ancient, while the solar mythologies represent a shift to a more masculine, warlike form of society and spirituality. It's too simplistic by far, but there are a number of interesting ideas that make use of this framework to some extent. The sun is usually perceived as masculine but not always -- The Shinto sun Goddess a core diety of that religion comes to mind as one conspicuious exeption to the rule.
edit on 12/15/10 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

No worries dude, apologies accepted, I didnt feel attacked, just wondered what you meant

Thanks anyway.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I am glad you discovered this. I am reading an interesting book on a theory that Jesus came from India. I am reading a book by Suzanne Olsson, who claims to be a descendant of Jesus through his marriage with Mary. If you read the Bloodline of the Holy Grail by Laurence Gardner you would be familiar with her claim to the genealogy. Basically Mary Magdalene, while carrying Jesus baby in her womb, traveled to France after Jesus was crucified. I highly recommend the book "the woman with the albastar jar" for anyone that wants to really investigate Mary.

Anyways, in the 6th chapter of "Jesus in Kashmir" (it is available online, message me for the link) which i am currently reading, the author makes some valid points about the origins of some civilizations, emperors and people that i have to look more into. The reason i am posting all of this is because this chapter deals heavily with sun worshiping civilizations and this fits in perfectly! We all know about Stonehenge and some know about Newgrange, but little know about the following:

The ruling families of India are the relatives, through ma rriages, to the Roman
Caesars, the Greek philosophers, the Egyptian pharaohs, and even the Japanese
Emperors. But there is another theory that follows them even further back, to Nordic
roots. According to scholar Felice Vinci, there had been a great migration, an Indo-
European Diaspora from Scandinavia and other northern regions, forced upon them by
climate changes. When they arrived in India and Central Asia, they began the great
Sumerian and Sarasvati cultures. They became the Egyptian Hyksos , the Hittites and
Cassites, the pharaohs, emperors, and rajas of Egypt and India. In other words, they
were the very first Hebrews.
This is, in fact, substantiated to some degree through their Indo -European
languages, their Tocharian and Kurgan graves, their artifacts, and especially their DNA.
Giuliano Bruno, a noted contributor to this theory, points out that in Sanskrit ‘Sumeru’ is
the word for the Arctic Pole (Monier-Williams, Sanskrit-English Dictionary), and the
Kojiki, a Shinto sacred book, calls Japan's first emperors ‘Sumera,’ t hose from the north.
It becomes apparent then, that one must go well below the surface of Sanskrit,
Aramaic, or Greek names to understand the culture, the race, and the migrations that
will reveal the true identity of the first kings and rajas of India.

Another interesting quote talks about sun temples from India in Kashmir.

Moses and the Israelites had no permanent or safe place to store the Ark of the
Covenant until King David purchased land for the building of the first temple . It was
Solomon and the King of Tyre, Hiram Abiff, who then built the First Temple to house the
Ark. He used Phoenician craftsmen chosen by Hiram Abiff , and a temple style similar to
other Phoenician temples of the same period. This style was duplicated in the temples
built in India during the same period.
Two significant temple ruins that are still standing in Kashmir are the Martand Sun
Temple, and the Tahkt-i-sulaiman, or, the Throne of Solomon. Both of these temples
face east and both have been associated with sun worship since ancient times. They
have been rebuilt several times on the same holy ground dating back at least 4,000
years.

And a little more regarding iranian sun worshipers...

According to the research of Navaratna S. Rajaram in Vedic Aryans and Origins of
Civilization, another name that was often used for these temples was Saka dvipi or maga
(magi) sun temples. Today this refers to an order of Brahmins. Sakadvipa magi (Saka -of
Issac) are the founders of aryuvedics (homeopathic medicine), sun worship, and
astronomy in India. These sun gods are alte rnately referred to as Suryas (best known as
Iranian sun gods). The Iranian Suryas (sun god) wear a long coat, sacred stringed
girdles, and knee-high boots, seen often on old coins, mosaics and cave pain tings. The
word Sakya, or Shakyas, is derived from the name of Issachar, or Isaac , from which we
also get the word ‘Saxon.’

And another Sun Temple in Martland which was destroyed my islamic raiders, how sad?

It is difficult to accurately date Martand . The very first Martand temple that is
officially on record at this site was me ntioned in the Mahabharata and built by King
Ramadeva (Rama-Abraham) This king was coronated at Ayodiya, and the dates vary
from 4,400 B.C. to 3,000 B.C., to as late as 1100 -1200 B.C. He is also described as a
great-grandson of Noah. It is realistic to assume that Noah himself visited here, sinc e his
grave is within easy distance of Martand.
In the Rajatarangini, we are told that Solomon and Hiram Abiff came here to
remodel this temple. Their new design for Martand appears to have been an exact half -
size replica of the First Temple in Jerusalem that was being built at the same time. When
King Lalitaditiya ruled from 724 CE to 760 CE (just before the arrival of Islam ) he also
had Martand restored.
Martand lays in impressive ruins now, victim to one of the grea test stories of
madness and destruction the world will ever know. Ma hmud of Ghanzi, who was made
famous for burning the great libraries at Kabul and Taxila (we will meet him again
shortly) began his attacks on India between 1001 and 1027. He conducted seventeen
successful attacks in a very short period of time. As he ransacked each city, he
destroyed every temple that existed.

If Sun worship is one of the oldest religions, which it seems to be, i wonder who really started it? Which group of people? Was it the Northern Europeans or the people from middle east, India or Central Asia?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well let's take it back to the neolithic, when farming was in it's infancy. One of the most important concepts early farmers had to learn was how to harness the seasons for growing, and the best way for them to do that was to track the sun's yearlong movement by building these henges. It might have started with simpler dolmens that were continually added on to, over generations, until a consensus was arrived at that - that the sun's movement was predictable. Early sun temples and henges may have begun as purely utilitarian, but acquired religious and occult symbolism.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I also found this interesting while investigating what the world was like in 6000 BC. This will help understand who the builders could have been and where they came from.

Black Sea today (light blue) and in 5600 BC (dark blue) according to Ryan's and Pitman's theories, versions of the Black Sea deluge theory

And here are some other things that happened in the 6th millennium
en.wikipedia.org...

# c. 6000 BC: The Mehrgarh culture reaches its height c. 6000 BC. The Mehrgarh site is one of the most important Neolithic sites in the world. It is located in present-day Pakistan (Baluchistan Province).
# c. 6000 BC: The entire 6th Millennium was a part of the Holocene climatic optimum (so were the 4th, 5th, and 7th Millennia). This was a warm period also known as the Atlantic period. This period was characterized by minimal glaciation and high sea levels. (McEvedy)
# c. 6000 BC: Records of the Mosyllonian civilization in Somalia
# c. 6000 BC: The Copper Age comes to the Fertile Crescent. (Roux 1980) First use of copper in Middle East. (Bailey 1973)
# c. 6000 BC: Fully Neolithic agriculture has spread through Anatolia to the Balkans. (1967 McEvedy)
# c. 6000 BC: Beginning of Neolithic Yangshao culture in south-central China . Somewhere in this expanse of time, they invent the earliest pictographs of Chinese writing. (Atlas of China, 1983)
# c. 6000 BC: Equids disappear from the Americas.
# c. 6000 BC: Junglefowl kept in India.
# c. 6000 BC: Female figurines holding serpents are fashioned on Crete and may have been associated with water, regenerative power and protection of the home.
# c. 5900 BC: Prehistoric Vinca culture emerges on the shores of lower Danube.
# c. 5800 BC: Beginning of the Dadiwan culture in China.
# c. 5800 BC: The Hosanna Period in Mesopotamia , with the earliest version of stamp seals. (Roux 1980)
# c. 5760 BC: The volcano Puy-de-Dôme in France erupts.
# c. 5677 BC: Cataclysmic volcanic explosion of 12,000-foot (3,700 m) high Mount Mazama creates Oregon's Crater Lake[1] when the resulting caldera fills with water. With a Volcanic Explosivity Index of 7, it remains the largest single Holocene eruption in history of the Cascade Range.
# c. 5600 BC: Beginning of the desertification of North Africa, which ultimately lead to the creation of the Sahara desert. It's possible this process pushed some natives into migrating to the region of the Nile in the east, thereby laying the groundwork for the rise of Egyptian civilization.
# c. 5600 BC: The Red Paint People become established in the region from present-day Labrador to New York state.
# c. 5500 BC: Beginning of the Xinle culture in China.
# c. 5500 BC: Agriculture started in Ancient Egypt.
# c. 5500 BC: Predynastic period (Neolithic) starts in Ancient Egypt (other date is 4350 BC).
# c. 5450 BC: Volcano Hekla eruption.
# c. 5400 BC: Beginning of the Zhaobaogou culture in China.
# c. 5400 BC: Irrigation and the beginning of the Sumerian civilization in Southern Iraq.
# c. 5400 BC: Watson Brake mound complex constructed in present-day Louisiana. (Correction: 5400 BP, or 3400 BC)
# c. 5300 BC: Beginning of the Beixin culture in China.
# c. 5200 BC: Beginning of human inhabitation and settlements in Malta.
# c. 5000 BC: Beginning of the Hemudu culture in China.
# c. 5000 BC: Beginning of the Daxi culture in China.
# c. 5000 BC: Beginning of the Majiabang culture in China.
# c. 5000 BC: Beginning of the Yangshao culture in China.
# c. 5000 BC: Farming reached central and north Europe.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Is this possibly related to this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
S&F, here is the original interview with the archaeologist form the Bulgarian National TV : bnt.bg...
there you can see some pictures from the site

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

join