It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom shot at strip mall used body to protect son, 2

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
So where is the line? How about fully automatic vs semi automatic? Cop killer bullets vs standard ammo? Assault rifles? Hand guns?

Should local municipalities have the right to determine their own gun laws?

What about gun shows? You know where the criminals purchase multiple guns to be resold to the gangs and thugs in the city?

Any compromise guys? Any solutions? I mean if firepower makes you safer how about mini guns mounted on a gun turret on your Humvee? Seriously because that is the natural extension of your logic. Would that make us safer?

Stop quoting George Washington and give me the details.

none of these questions have anything to do with your original post...

a minigun is quite the stretch of the imagination, what movie did you see a gangbanger using a minigun in that made you think it was a common firearm that the pulbic is stocking up on?

I have fired assault rifles, and it was quite fun. and if it came down to our armed forces being tied up in conflict with an invading army, and I had the option of using my personal firearms to defend my family, I would be more than thrilled to have an assault rifle in my arsenal.

what you are entirely failing to see is the fact that the 2nd amendment was put in place to safeguard the general population from totalitarian government control of the people. to give arms to the citizens for revolution if necessary...

that is why there are so many ploys by the government to restirct and outlaw gun ownership in America

and as a previous poster said... in Australia, after forfeiting their guns to the government, there has been a skyrocket of gun related crime in the past 12 months

every criminal knows that if the intended victim has no way to defend themselves, its all that easier to victimize.

criminals are also aware that if they face the threat of an armed victim, then the criminal will be less likely to commit said crime.

John Lott's study of guns and crime in the U.S. from 1977 to 1996, titled More Guns, Less Crime.

Here is the abstract of the study for you:

Lott's question was whether allowing people to carry concealed handguns deters violent crime. His assumption was that criminals are rational in that their reaction to an increase in the number of armed potential victims is to commit fewer crimes. Lott looked at the FBI's crime statistics for all 3,054 U.S. counties. He found that, over the period of his study, gun ownership had been increasing across the country—from 27.4 per cent in 1988 to 37 per cent by 1996—yet crime rates had been falling. More specifically, states with the greatest decrease in crime rates were those with the fastest increases in gun ownership.
According to Lott, for each additional year that laws allowing people to carry concealed handguns were on the books, robberies declined by two per cent, rapes by two per cent and murders by three per cent. If all states that did not permit carrying concealed handguns had allowed them in 1992, for instance, there would have been 1,839 fewer murders, 3,727 rapes and 10,990 aggravated assaults.

www.nejm.org...

Does gun ownership reduce the crime rate? One Word: Virginia

www.care2.com...

even with strict gun law/control, there will always be a undreground market for criminals to aquire firearms leaving citizens defenseless

even with liberal gun laws allowing citizens to have legally registered firearms, there will be nutjobs that use that right to harm innocent people

but having the right to keep firearms for personal defense is the backbone of the American way of life... thats why its the 2nd amendment... right after freedom of speech

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem

Originally posted by budaruskie
That's a great line...

You know? Your use of this tragedy really chaps my ass

Even if the story is 100% accurate as reported in the OP, I can't see how blaming the guns makes any sense. By the way, if the wild west shoot 'em up cowboys citizens that may or may not have shot anybody probably SAVED SOMEONE'S LIFE!! I mean...the guy did pull out a gun at a store whatdyathink he's gonna pay for sh*t with it or is he gonna shoot somebody
:

So you're signing up for the armband? I'm looking for takers since it won't be cheap to produce them but I really want you and those of your ilk marked so I don't risk my life for you.

Even if the story is 100% accurate as reported in the OP,

To say the story quoted is 10% accurate relegates the term accuracy to a dustbin but I'm sure I and others would love to hear where you came up with your ridiculous number.

Tell me your size and once Mr/s Leo Strauss know it all has agreed to my terms to create monikers for you and those of your ilk, I'll provide them for FREE.

You and him/her can sit there and wear your new gear that lets us gun owners know that you want nothing to do with us. Sounds fair, right? You and him/her can dial 911 and those of us who would typically defend you will hide so you can wait for the 5+ minutes of your savior cops to get there. Should you or s/he die? Sucks to be you.

At least I won't waste my ammo defending you.

I think it might also be a good idea for you to leave us your cell phones so we can show just how effective they were. I'm sure they'll look awesome at your funeral and we wouldn't want to leave any of that out.
edit on 15-12-2010 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

Whoa! I think we have a misunderstanding here. I'm in no way anti-gun ownership! I have many of my own and a CHL so if you see me, there's a 90% or better chance you see me with a gun. I was trying to point out the fact that anytime a person is using a gun with the intention of harming or robbing someone, and someone else pulls a gun on that person, at least one life gets saved (the original intended victim). Now it was late when I wrote that post and it does not read quite as I intended, but I'm not quite sure how you took it. Owning firearms is essential to safety, hunting, and personal liberty.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join