It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Has Liquid Water Close to Surface

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Pools of liquid water may even now exist just a few meters below the Martian surface, according to new research. The finding hints that humans may one day be able to tap into Mars's watery bounty.

I have heard the theories before of the chance that there could be water sources underneath the surface of mars.no surprise really here though I like how they imply that "humans may one day be able to tap into Mars's watery bounty"
we are probably doing that as we speak! or at least plans are in the making for sure to tap any resource we can find.whether that resource is of known origin or not.and we will be last to know about it i'm sure,especially if it holds significant value.

The new theory is based on studies of Mars's biggest outflow channels, which stretch for hundreds of kilometers across the southern circum-Chryse region. The ancient channels were likely carved by gushing torrents of water, each hundreds to thousands of times larger than the Mississippi River. These massive rivers are believed to have erupted from underground sources, suggesting that shallow groundwater reservoirs were once relatively common in Mars's upper crust.

Source
(Link for full news article)

edit on 15-12-2010 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for them to announce the first manned mission to Mars (that we know of..it's probably old hat to them).

It's going to happen, especially if we can get there in 39 days.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
If usable water is present that is a huge dilemma solved for travel to and spending any significant time on mars. That also means a source of hydrogen for powering a return trip to Earth. I would think this solves many of the issues that have been holding us back from humans exploring Mars. Hydrogen could be used as a power plant for making clean electricity

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Nice find
It's amazing to think what forms of life might live in that water.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Funny. Of course we assume the fact that we will one day plunder mars of all its water, before we even know for sure the water is there.

No but seriously, one of my favorite videos I've seen of space related things, is the video of it "snowing" on mars. That was so cool.

I wonder how much mars water will cost.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ

No but seriously, one of my favorite videos I've seen of space related things, is the video of it "snowing" on mars. That was so cool.

I would really love to see this, if you could provide a link to a video of snow falling on Mars I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person here thanking you for it.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

The water itself won't cost much...it's the SHIPPING that'll kill you...

The best thing about it though, is that it makes establishing a base or even a colony there, a lot more feasible if we can tap into that.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bigern

Here is one link to the snow falling, it doesn't hit the ground in the video but you can see the clouds rolling by and a few ice crystally things falling. The video I had seen was bigger though, so easier to see, I'll try to find the better one.
Snow Mars
Ice Clouds on Mars
Frosty Mars
Frosty Trench on Mars
Frost Sparkling in Sunlight Accumulates on Pheonix
Mars Ice
And unrelated to snow, but still cool:
Dust Devil on Mars
Dust Devil on Mars 2
edit on 12/16/2010 by SpaceJ because: links

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
If water is made up of Hydrogen and Oxygen, where did the Oxygen come from? Would there still have to be gaseous oxygen present in order for the water to not evaporate in to hydrogen gas? For those who don't know, I am a science idiot, so if that was a stupid question, I meant to do that. Strictly for humor.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I have a question with the title of your thread, what is liquid water? Is there gas water, or solid water? I thought we just used the terms steam and ice to describe those things.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by amc621

From my understanding that is the "term: they are using in the article.
that is how it was presented in the source.

top topics

join