I am sick of poor quality in almost everthing we buy now.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
A few more came to mind that I need to say...
we have three garden spades in our garage and only one is any good, It was my fathers and probably made in the 40's the other two are garbage with plastic handles.
How in the world do you spade a garden out with a plastic handled tool?
Same for our dirt shovel (the pointed ones) Solid Oak handle with a real metal end on it. (1940)
Axes that are made of soft wood....nice and light yes but miss your mark and good bye handle.
Garbage pails that the bags do not fit in.
Garbage bags that do not fit in the pail....LOL
Manual can openers that last about 1 year
Toaster ovens that don't toast bread very well and you replace them every other year.

Feel free to add some to my Rant.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

That's just some of it, I could talk about this all day... I have daily experiences with crappy gizmos at my workplace. I still have a HP printer that works after 20 years and godly amount of pages printed, but new ones won't last a year.

My HP Deskjet 932C is 10 years old and has worked perfectly with all my PC's, I keep saying I am going to get an All in One but why should I. I didn't buy my printer, it came free with a Gateway that I bought in 2000, I have had two new PC;s since but the Gateway still works fine, it came with Windows Me and I only upgraded to XP three years ago.. Just bought a Dell two weeks ago and am still getting used to Windows 7.

I use a DVD Player but notice that my DVD's degrade over time, yes I am very careful with them, glad I didn't get rid of my Panasonic VCR and my VHS Tapes, VCR is 12 years old and works perfectly and VHS Tapes never degrade, same goes for cassette tapes which I have left in the car in the hot sun for months at time and still work perfectly also....

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It seems to me that a lot of the problems your having with poor quality items is because your buying poor quality items

Wilkinson Sword gardening tools nearly all have a lifetime guarantee, so if you break it you can send it back and they will give you a new one.

As for garbage bags... double bag it my friend

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I think the problem is that once upon a time, no matter what you bought, it wouldn't fall apart a week after purchasing. Yes, there are some great quality items out there in all forms, but nowadays you have to search them out.

The other problem is that once you do find them, quite often they are very pricey. There is some truth to the phrase "the good old days" in some regards.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

I've had a few conversations about this before on ATS and I think what people forget is that things used to be DAMN expensive.
People would actually have to think about buying some shoes or a garden spade and something like a TV would cost a few weeks if not months wages.
This was because all these things were hand built using quality components and that put the out of the reach of normal people.

Poor people literately used to not be able to afford to buy shoes when their old ones fell apart, now it's hard to find a poor person that doesn't have cable TV and an internet connection.
Thats because stuff now is built fast and cheap to sell in volume.

If you want a hand made expensive product you can still get them, but it still costs a lot of money
edit on 15-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
It seems to me that a lot of the problems your having with poor quality items is because your buying poor quality items

Wilkinson Sword gardening tools nearly all have a lifetime guarantee, so if you break it you can send it back and they will give you a new one.

As for garbage bags... double bag it my friend

Hey dave, thanks for the reply and input.....if you read my OP you will find a section near the bottom with the good stuff I have had luck with.
I strive to buy quality every time I
buy my point is, it is almost impossible now to find any quality to speak of.
Good news on the Wilkinson Sword tools I have never heard of them and am wondering if you can buy them here in Ontario?
On the garbage bags yep just double bag and double the price of once was a one bagger.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by YogaGinns

Man, that reminded me of a Pontiac 6000 I had back in.....eh....don't remember. I don't recall what year it was...mid 80's something.
The problem started with a loose alternator bolt. The vibration wallowed out the frame on the alternator, and once it was tightened down, made the alternator sit at a slight angle. This was fine, as we were too poor to shell out $120 for an alternator when a $2 belt every month was easier. My (now ex)wife got in it one day and drove it for 30 miles. The belt broke immediately when she started the car & the alt light came on, but she ignored it - go figure.
She called me and said it wouldn't start - that she thought it had ran hot. I went out there to look and I couldn't believe it. For starters, the grass under the car was scorched. The spark plug wires were burned all to pieces, except for the boots on either end. The distributor cap was so warped you could see inside of it. The tips on the spark plugs had melted/warped. Not a drop of water, not a drop of oil.
I fixed everything as best I could on it - wound up driving it for two more years before I sold it for $100 - RUNNING.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

LMAO.. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but the visual reminds me of what I deal with more than I'd like having two teen age daughters, your not alone. Watched my daughters new ph get ran over in the middle of traffic a few days ago.
Back to topic....yeah, the word "disposable" applies to almost everything now days. I have a lot of my Dad's tools that are 50-60yrs old that are bomb proof and work as well as they did when new.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
You are right. all cheap and shoddy.
Made by machines that take no pride in their work.

As for pots/pans... check out your camping stores.
Here in OZ, I saw a fry pan, pot, and a stewpot with a lid in a set for 50 bucks. ALL CAST IRON!
You may have the same luck in Canada.

As for garden tools, and stuff for the shed, I always go to the 2nd hand shops first to look. Get a sturdy one bit of kit.

Sometimes you find good stuff if you look in the local small-owner run shops. stay clear of your walmart types.
I dont trust many things made in china. Cadmium, lead, gawd knows what thrown in them.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I don't care where this is posted. This guy is right on the money (no pun). I have noticed all the same things and am just as upset. Shall we speak in terms of blame? OK where is American industry when we need it? Gone so the asshole fat cats can have more profits and not pay healthcare.

The best way to fight this is to put it where it belongs and that is with all those who so fearlessly and enthusiastically (geeze I spelled that right on the first try??) cry for "free markets". Too much freedom is not a good thing. If we wanted to buy Indian and chinese stuff we'd move to india or china. I, for one, wish I could buy a new pair of shoes that are made anywhere on the north American continent. Now, instead of nice sturdy leather boots, we see super thin layers of leather backed up by ten times as much waterproofed cardboard.

It's all crap just like the man says.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
You are right. all cheap and shoddy.
Made by machines that take no pride in their work.

As for pots/pans... check out your camping stores.
Here in OZ, I saw a fry pan, pot, and a stewpot with a lid in a set for 50 bucks. ALL CAST IRON!
You may have the same luck in Canada.

I am still using cast iron cookware that I have had for over 30 years. I "season" them a couple of times a year and they will be around long after I am gone for sure.

I love the feel of something that has some heft to it, metal, not plastic. Handmade, not made by a machine that spits something out every second.

Dam, this thread has made me think of my childhood, I still have some power tools from 40 years ago that although heavier than those made today, still do a bang up job.

The world got to big, too fast, and in my opinion, that's a shame.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash

I, for one, wish I could buy a new pair of shoes that are made anywhere on the north American continent. Now, instead of nice sturdy leather boots, we see super thin layers of leather backed up by ten times as much waterproofed cardboard.

I bought a pair of Irish Setter boots a couple of years ago and although they cost a fortune, are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. And on top of that, they are built with quality. I have to say however, the tag on the inside states made in China.

I too wish for the days where at least the majority of products you buy are at least made on the same continent.
edit on 12/16/2010 by tribewilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I began winter backpacking years ago and realized very quickly the value of good items. I always thought that if I had good gear, even at -20F, all that could go wrong was my spirit. I have great quality Italian mountaineering boots that I wear to this day- I have a $100 fleece top that I have worn 3 times a week for 15 years. You dont always get what you pay for, but sometimes you can.
I believe the poor quality stems from companies just trying to survive against the "china juggernaut discount store" you know who I am speaking of. I spent almost a full year building one of these 250,000 sqft places this summer.
I had classes in Mechanical Engineering on "Obsolescence". We were taught on how to make an item wear out after so many cycles of use. That is, 3 year warranty at "X" miles per year equals "X" amount of estimated use cycles. Ok so make it wear out 6 months after the warranty expired. That really pissed me off.
Our culture is quickly turning into a disposable society. The packaging on items really burns me as well. I am only 42 (ha ha- would have never said that in my 20's- only 42 ha ah). My father was old when he had me, and taught me old fashion schools of thought- I was so very lucky to have him the 19 years in my life that I did. the only way to combat cheap products is not to have a demand for them. This is easier said than done with this economy and people just trying to feed there families.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Ooh, ooh, I have a couple.

Black & Decker coffee maker. You'd think quality product, right? Oh, no. It's physically impossible to pour anything out of the carafe without spilling a good portion of it. Something about the rim and spout and they way they're attached. Contacting B&D gives less than satisfactory results. I won't even go into it here. Do a search on Black & Decker coffee maker reviews and you'll soon see what I'm talking about.

Epson all in one printer/scanner/copier. It's meant to make you buy real expensive ink cartridges, and not much else. You can't even use it to print black & white if the magenta cartridge is empty.

My Christmas gift to you all is this advice - avoid these products like they were plague carrying wharf rats.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I remember when Black and Decker first came out. It was touted as great quality at a cheaper price.

Somewhere along the line the great quality has been dropped in favour of profits. It's happening everywhere.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm trying to think of old things that I still use.

I use my grandads old Razor that he used in the Navy in WW2 and it's still fine, not that there is much that could go wrong with it!
I have a 1970's seaburg jukebox in the kitchen which still works (although reluctantly at times)
Lots of cameras from the 30's - 60's that would work fine if I could get film stock for them

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Greetings
A couple of you mentioned your age as fifty. Well I'm 73 so add an additional 23 yrs of product decline.

My big thing is clothing, particularly men's boxer briefs. When these were made in US they would last for years. Now they turn to rags the first time you wear them.

I recently bought $3200.00 of replacement wood windows with alum exteriors. I use to sell and install these. They were very good. Now they are junk.

I agree with most every thing else.

The comments about costs of yesteryear does not hold water because the time of use vs cost was way down compared to now.
Plus you had quality which you could appreciate and that is worth a lot.

God bless predatory capitalism and the US of A Lld.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Black & Decker has been around forever. I've got B&D power tools in the garage that were purchased by my dad in the 60s that still work fine. The coffee maker brews fine, it's just the damn stupid, simple carafe that makes it unusable. And the frustrating thing is, it's apparently a wide spread problem. How they let something like that actually go to market is beyond me. Hey, how about using your new design to actually pour a cup of coffee before you go into production? Unbelievable.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgeH

The comments about costs of yesteryear does not hold water because the time of use vs cost was way down compared to now.
Plus you had quality which you could appreciate and that is worth a lot.

God bless predatory capitalism and the US of A Lld.

That is all true! But people don't usually think about that when they purchase things, they just want them cheap and they want them now!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Its not only cheapish products that are rubbish now days.

Ive found that EVERY new car i have ever owned has been crap. Fault after fault, repair after repair!
Im pretty sure build quality is kept low so that they have a lifetime of repairs....which obviously cost big money once your out of warranty.

For the money you pay for a car you should expect more than a couple of years of driving out of it before it just blows up or falls apart. How much can a car cost to make??? I read somewhere that it costs something like $1200 to make a normal family car and about $3000 to build a luxury or sports car....but we pay 10x that at the forecourt!
In india you can buy a brand new car for $2500...yea its pretty naff but it gets you from a-b.

Crappy cheap products being made for dumb consumers who love it

We are all victims here lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join