It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neutron Stars and String Theory in a Lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

ScienceDaily (Dec. 11, 2010) — Using lasers to contain some ultra-chilled atoms, a team of scientists has measured the viscosity or stickiness of a gas often considered to be the sixth state of matter. The measurements verify that this gas can be used as a "scale model" of exotic matter, such as super-high temperature superconductors, the nuclear matter of neutron stars, and even the state of matter created microseconds after the Big Bang

Under the ultra-cold conditions, the properties of the gas are determined by a universal ruler, or natural length scale, much like the scale on an architect's drawing. The ruler for the atomic gas is the average spacing between the atoms. According to quantum physics, this spacing determines all other natural scales, such as the scale for energy, temperature and viscosity, making the ultra-cold gas a scale model for other exotic matter. Thomas said that he and others have verified the gas as a universal scale model for properties such as temperature, but this is the first time they've tested the scaling of viscosity, which happens to be of particular interest to scientists right now.

science daily

this is interesting science studying the viscosity of the interactions at an atomic scale of superchilled confined atoms

a very cutting edge experiment
looking forward to reading the results

xploder

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

"The measurements do not test string theory directly," Thomas said, noting a few caveats-- the lower bound is derived for high-energy systems, where Einstein's theory of relativity is essential, while the Fermi gas experiments study low-energy gases. If string theorists create new calculations specifically for a Fermi gas, scientists would be able to make precise experimental tests of the theory with equipment no larger than a desktop.

Great. I still haven't wrapped my head around String Theory, now they have to re-work it.

Maybe I should just pick a religion. It would be a lot simpler to understand.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

as far as i can get my head around it
they are studying a new dynamic in viscosity or medium density theory and are attempting to look at the various scales the material produces a liquid or super liquid connection
this produces a super fluid of sorts and can give us clues as to weather some of the four forces are relitive to medium density or 'viscosity"

its cool reasurch
and could leed to a better understanding of things like neutron stars and atomic level interactions

xploder

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Agreed, but the last two paragraphs seem to indicate that the sub-atomic bonds near absolute zero are 4 to 5 times weaker than string theory suggests that they should be. String theory has already been tweaked quite a bit to get where it is now. How much more can it be tweaked and still be valid? Maybe I'm just having trouble understanding it all.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

I've never bought string theory myself, so this doesn't really surprise me. The big news to me is that a string-theory prediction is testable. The fact that it is wrong is actually less significant than that!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

S & F from me exploder. This is information I an constantly searching for, I lack the mathmatical skills to even remotley understand in the detail of what this about, but I can certainly grasp the idea and theory behind this news report. thank you for posting, Science Daily is one of my fave webiste. Wish they had an app for my Droid. lol.

new topics

top topics

join