It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Overreported MSM News- Stories that Dominate For No Good Reason-

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Today I was struck by how much the MSM seems to focus on stories endlessly
that don't really matter, bore the heck out of intelligent people, and induce one
to rethink their cable/satellite subscription, all while other stories are not being reported
ever that are pretty important...

Post your "favorite" overblown news stories- no time period limitation here...what else did the country miss while the newsie's kept insisting we watch this crap?

I mean, really, how many news stories did we have to endure about the evil "Hanging Chad"?

How many of us really wanted "all O.J.", all the time?

Did anyone really care about the "runaway bride" and why she left her fiance at the alter and pretended she was kidnapped?

I could have cared less about "Monica's blue dress", Paula Jones, or Gennifer Flowers...
And I could have done without the constant commentary about the "cigar"...

Scott Peterson. Who gives a crap how many marriage proposals he has gotten on Death Row?

Furthermore, I didn't want to know about the "pube" on the soda can, Anita Hill, or be subjected to endless news stories about it...

Balloon Boy, anyone? The news was interrupted for those crackjobs, and incessently reported afterwards?

Sarah Palin, her husband, her kids, her clothes, her "hockey mom" hype, and the idiot "baby daddy" of Bristol... C'mon, people.

Darva Conger marrying the "millionaire" after just meeting him on live TV. And...?

Just a small sampling of what I thought of...

edit to add- Tiger Woods, period.

edit on 15-12-2010 by thegoodearth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This occurs because its a classic case of entertainment being the opiate of the people. Train people to be interested in things that don't matter and then they wont take an interest in things that do.

cheers

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I find news stories about "Dancing with the Stars" to be the most annoying. If I wanted to know what was happening on that show, I'd watch it.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
These stories are just an offshoot of the entertainment industry. The stories become entertainment, like pop music, sports, and reality tv shows.

Take sports for example: Are they really that important? I mean, billion dollar a year industrys where people kill eachother over which team is better?

How are sports so popular in that your average Joe knows 100 times more about his football team than current world affairs?
edit on 15-12-2010 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Yes- dancing with the stars, american idol, et al...

The whole country comes to a standstill to see who "won".

Also, the ridiculous coverage given any athlete that is up for renewal,
then the endless reportage of his hundred-million dollar contract...

Makes me think that most people are like this everyday-

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Angry Birds.

I was back home this weekend, and early in the morning (around 6), my dad turned on the TV. it was on CNN, and they were reporting on Angry Birds. We both gave each other a look,a nd he turned on a recording of BBC News.

The contrast was violent.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Yes, PBS shows the BBC news here where I am at...

Thank goodness. The ridiculous is kept to a minimum.

Also the youtube channel of RT usually is decent.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Lindsey Lohan....most overrated, over reported story in MSM.

More importantly, what are ATS's most over-reported stories of the year? Wikileaks? 2012? A specific UFO incident? Evolution vs. creationism? Obama hating? Obama loving? ...etc...

Maybe that question deserves it's own thread?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Snow..

That is all

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Good question, that.
I think Wikileaks should have its own forum, like the Gulf Oil leak does.

P.S.- Don't forget Paris Hilton, the Kardashians, and Miley Cyrus.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

The image featured in this blog post is the most overreported "story" on ATS this year. There have been at least 3 threads about it despite the fact that it's an obvious hoax -- or, as that article suggests, a viral marketing scheme.

Pretty cool picture, though. Gives me shivers every time I see it. I hope it's viral marketing, because I want to see the movie with that thing in it

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
There is hardly any difference between Hollywood gossip magazines and news in America.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

That picture is creepy, hoax or not.

I must disgree-
the most overreported thread topics are:

Evolution is Dumb

Creationism is Dumb

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid

I like the look of American news if it's how Charlie Brooker portrays it in this video

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Michael Jackson's death.

I know it's not cool if someone dies and all, but c'mon! The MSM was reporting on this incident for like a whole month. They even went on and talked about that "ghost of Michael Jackson" footage in his Neverland house. lol

It's amazing that so many people still think the content the mainstream news reports is legitimate information that needs to be known about.

top topics

join