It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Are these your rights?

www.usconstitution.net...
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression
Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms
Amendment 3 - Quartering of Soldiers
Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure
Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings
Amendment 6 - Right to Speedy Trial, Confrontation of Witnesses
Amendment 7 - Trial by Jury in Civil Cases
Amendment 8 - Cruel and Unusual Punishment
Amendment 9 - Construction of Constitution
Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People

I personally think people are confused about "rights" and where they come from.

Americans think they have a "right" to own a gun because it is written in the US Constitution.

Americans think they have a "right" to a jury trial because it is written in the US Constitution.

Americans think they have a "right" to free speech because it is written in the US Constitution.

The question I pose to you is, would those "rights" still exist if the US Constitution did not exist?

The fact of the matter is you have a lot more "rights" than the simple 10 points laid out in the Bill of Rights. The US Constitution is a worthless piece of paper that supposedly was created to restrain the power of government. Clearly this piece of paper has failed in its mission.

The use of the term "rights" has come to mean an action that government (or anyone else) does not have legitimate authority to stop you from engaging in. I would argue that there are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more "rights" than what the simple 10 useless amendments on an old piece of paper grant us.

The "right" to be left alone and the "right" to keep the fruits of my labor being at the top of my personal list.

If you actually want to learn some worthwhile philosophy regarding your "rights", I highly recommend watching this video by best selling author and historian Tom Woods:
playlist

Followed by Who Killed The Constitution?

You do not have a right to use force and violence to steal from me to fund your retirement.

You do not have a right to control the property I own through building permits, zoning laws, or other regulations that tell me what I can and can not do with my own personal property, as long as whatever it is I am doing is not damaging your own property in some way.

You do not have a right to conscript me into your army to fight wars of aggression against imaginary foes.

You do not have a right to tell me I can't work for a wage I voluntarily agree to work for.

You do not have a right to restrict the types of weapons I own for any reason.

You do not have a right to force me to fund your child's schooling.

You do not have a right to print fake money and then force me to use it.

edit on 15-12-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Sadly, the Constitution is left to interpretation. That interpretation is left to Judges. Different Judges make different interpretations.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

I don't think it really matters.

The US Constitution says the government has the legitimate authority to engage in violent theft, therefore the US Constituion is constituting an illegitimate form of government.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."

Excerpt for Declaration of Independence.

I want to focus on 'unalienable rights': un-a-lein-able No man can place a lein aganst your Natural rights.

This Declartion needs to be Re-Declared!
edit on 15-12-2010 by SWCCFAN because: blah

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

The US documents of secession always make me smile.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
www.bureauofrepublicrecords.org...

www.republicoftheunitedstates.org...

Aparently we have a Compeeting Goverment now.

Intresting.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Interesting couple of links there.

top topics

join