It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptics: How to manage reason and skepticism with personal experience

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Heya

Well, I have been fighting two minds for quite awhile now, and would like to simply get different views on how others may be or conceptually handle my dilemma turned on them.

First off, I am Athiest-Agnostic. Meaning I do not believe in a deity, but I am open to "oddness yet to be measured". I am pretty skeptical about claims, but I never fully dismiss a person's claims at all...first off, because thats just stupid to do and second off, because I have had a brush or two with what can be described as "paranormal"

I won't go much into the experience in this thread...thats not the point of it, What is the point is that I often find myself being curiously skeptical at people claiming similar things I personally experienced. Now, I have spent literally years seeking out rational answers for my experiences...and none came..chalk it up to unexplained.

I also know I have no proof of anything I would claim..therefore I am almost insulted when random people simply accept my story as full truth without asking for anything to back the claim up..lmmediately my mind labels them as being intellectually lazy and/or gullible.

However, it also annoys me when someone catagorically dismisses my claim as some sort of irrational tripe...simply because..well, thats perhaps the most frustrating..because I am typically in their shoes in dismissing things due to lack of evidence.

Some of you may have experienced something truely remarkable above and beyond a rational experience...yet remain skeptical if only on principle..do you find the two parts to be clashing hard against you at times, or have you learned to accept the unexplainable elements of your subjective experience simply shouldn't be considered a objective reality until you can bring proof forward?

Also, if you are a hard nosed skeptic, and experienced something completely subjective, yet positively paranormal that you could get no evidence for due to its spontanous nature, how do you reckon you would handle it...would it make you a heretic believer in that field, would you never speak of it for fear of ridicule amongst your peers, or would you seek that balance of skepticism without denial that indeed you have had something unusual happen to you?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'm a skeptic, but I also understand that if millions of people are seeing UFOs and "ghosts", then maybe it's something I shouldn't just immediately dismiss. I'm not saying that I believe that what they're seeing are aliens and dead people, but immediately dismissing it as a weather balloon or a hallucination due to mental instability is ridiculous. I'm not interested in the easiest or most convenient explain-away that I can grapple onto; I'm interested in the truth, even if it happens that I must conclude that I don't readily understand something (though, to be honest, this doesn't happen a whole terrible lot).

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I am of the way that I do not "believe" in anything specific, I only "know" the things I have experienced and seen to be true, first hand.

Of course, there are things I do find "plausible" and "very probable" etc, but if I have not actually seen/experienced it I remain in a state where I have not decided to believe it but rather simply accept it as "likely true, but might be not".

Also, I myself am very skeptical to other's experiences and claims, even though my own experiences and claims are seen by most to be outrageous and quite bizarre and unlikely etc

And finally, I too advice people to NOT take anything I say as "the truth", but only as a possibility and rather try look into it, research it, and experience it THEMSELVES to verify it. I am strongly against all those ignorant and gullible people whom take anything as a fact and will believe in virtually anything they are told. People need start using more of their own mind and reasoning and go for experience and not blind belief, even in cases where it seems "very probable" to be true one should ultimately be skeptical until one have proven for oneself that the case IS true.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Nice thread SFX, almost worded the way it ideally should be

I get what you saying & yeah, have felt it too for a while.
This is the way 'our' world, our science works.

We know for a fact that there are things out there that we have no explanation for.
Science exists to find, understand & prove these things.
However there is a vast gap between the 2.

There is more unexplained phenomenon than the explainable & rational.
Note these are words used in terms of everything that we already know.

At the end of the end we may or may not believe what someone has to say about a paranormal or inexplicable situation.
But when it is us who are involved in that incident, i don't think 'proof' is needed.
We believe it cos we felt it.

About the folks who blindly agree to everything you may say, they maybe gullible, or innocent or completely enlightened to know that anything is possible.

Cos, anything is really possible.

S&F

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I have never had a problem balancing both. I'm a very spiritual person, who also happens to believe in a few paranormal fields (cryptozoology, ghosts, etc). I have seen, felt, and heard some weird stuff. I've also practiced spiritual things (meditation, trance, god-form assumption, magick). I have had results all around, but that doesn't mean I think I am obligated to believe or support "any old Joe" who comes around making a claim.

Sometimes the claims are just WAY too ridiculous: Reptilian extraterrestrials embody underground cities and secretly rule the world via multimedia monopoly. Other times the claim clearly twists the facts: the Annunaki are space-alien captors seeking to enslave the human race... as opposed to being a class of Mesopotamian deities who wanted to achieve certain goals.

Occasionally the claims turn out to be pretty spot on for me: practicing pranayama, or right-breathing can calm & relax your nerves, while also helping to regulate your body's health. Or for people in general: keeping a journal of dreams helps you remember them better, remembering them better allows you to psychoanalyze yourself and current life events.

I just try to keep my head clear, and my vision unimpaired. Just because I believe in the power of magick, the health benefits of meditation, and in psychology does not mean that I think David Icke is right, or that 13 bloodlines rule the international multimedia franchise. I'm extremely skeptical, but when I am shown something I don't pretend it never happened.

I've seen a ghost.
I've witnessed precognition be spot-on numerous times.
I have seen, and done, magick.
Meditation has helped me balance my emotions and recover from sickness faster.
I have seen some kind of unidentifiable aircraft in the skies over my neighborhood.

Show me a Reptilian and I'll accept them.
Show me "the matrix" and I'll consider it.
Show me the Annunaki are space aliens and I'll believe it.

That is just my stance though.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I'd guess that best ways to get rid of confusion is to understand the distinction in psychological realities. In that brief thread, I basically pointed to the fact that everyone experiences world from their own viewpoint (hoohoo, now that's a deep secret, isn't it?). Seriously though, unless these wild beliefs that are running amok in ATS and elsewhere are somehow harmful to the society, why bother to care anything about them? Just because they might be violating my understanding of reality, I should have no reason to care anything about them.

I have always been kind of a person who only trusts what he sees (I am not meaning youtube videos, haha! Instead I mean personal experiences). So I trust my senses, and perhaps to some accounts of events that fits my understanding and experiences. I see no point to waste my energies to chase the moon out of sky. But I do understand (based on experiences), that there is something very peculiar behind the "veil of Isis", when speaking in metaphors. Even so, all this is very natural.

So I recommend that just let your senses speak to you and take experiences as they are, not trying to fit them any dogmas and theories. This is basically the error of believers; they've experienced something, then they have looked for an explanation, the explanation is given from outside (by priest, guru, teacher, ATS fellow etc.), they swallow the "hook" and now they are trying to fit all things into that fancy theory which does no justice to reality, or even mocks it. Should they adopt the theory deeply enough, sooner or later they will run into psychological problems when this theory is beginning to conflict with reality.

-v
edit on 16-12-2010 by v01i0 because: 2345

top topics

join