It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama meeting with Top CEO's today - Dec 15th.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Oh to be a fly on the wall in this one.

Obama meets with top CEOs, investors

With American businesses holding nearly $2 trillion on their books, President Barack Obama said on Wednesday that a meeting with corporate executives of 20 of the largest U.S. companies will help elicit a variety of ideas to grow the economy and boost jobs amid an anemic recover

This could be a very interesting meeting. As stated some of the top CEO's in the country will be there and they are sitting on about $2 trillion in cash.

Obama desperately wants them to spend some of that pile of loot to create US jobs. Hmmm.. I wonder if we'll see any new policies coming out of this?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If they start putting that cash into circulation then won't that cause some form of inflation?This is a couple trillion we are talking about here?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Good maybe he got and read the book I sent him called, "Hostile Take Over" by David Sirota with pages 83-94 (Outsourcing) book marked.

In my weekly e-mail to him I told him now that my job is outsourced, I couldn't afford to send him any more books but suggested he read, "Outsourcing America" by Ron Hira & Anil Hira. Maybe he got that e-mail too.

Wonder if my CEO is there? My company was the third largest in the world in it's category.
edit on 15-12-2010 by ofhumandescent because: spelling

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Well, they got their tax breaks ..... so now it's payback time.

second

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Ah, so the puppet masters having a word with their stringed man. It will go something like this...

"How can we bleed more wealth from this country? I know, let's start a poor tax that charges you $5 a day if you don't make $1000 per week. We'll call it something like the "Patriots Against Laziness" bill. Then when we get the revenues in, you can forward that on to us in whatever way works for you. Subsidies, elimination of taxes, maybe another bailout"

Obama responds... "Works for me"

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

*Gasp* Maybe Obama has finally gotten past his arrogance and realized raising taxes actually DOESN'T help the economy.

I hear he is also meeting with Bill Gates.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish
reply to post by Frogs

*Gasp* Maybe Obama has finally gotten past his arrogance and realized raising taxes actually DOESN'T help the economy.

I hear he is also meeting with Bill Gates.

Obama is a narcissist - it will NEVER go away....

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So a Politician and corporate heads are meeting over issues they feel are best for the people?

Nice.

If any politician really wanted to get something done in this country that is best for the people, then they would talk to the people not corporate heads, who feed of the people.

Two hungry lions discussing what's best for the zebra.
edit on 15-12-2010 by thewholepicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Actually he met with Bill Gates and Warren Buffett yesterday...

Obama meets with Gates, Buffett

I guess the kind of money those two have gets a little more private time with Obama. Also, Buffett has been very supportive of many of Obama's policies. I don't really know any other way to say it - Gates and Buffett will be more apt to tell Obama what he wants to hear as they share many of the same views.

The CEO's that Obama is meeting with today will likely be a much tougher audience.

BTW - ofhumandescent
I agree on outsourcing too. US companies actually have made a ton of jobs in the past few years. The problem is most of them have been made overseas and many have resulted in lay-offs in the US. It does the US economy no good to create jobs that are not here. Well - it may if you are a CEO - but not if you are an average person.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

You forgot the bailouts also, but the only payback that the corporations are to get is having the president bend more for their needs, after all we found out the hard way that in America the wealth of the elites most be preserved at the expenses of the tax payer.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

the CEOs first obligation is to their shareholders...not some sort of national job creation...

the only thing Øbama can promise is to champion Bills & Policy favorable to those CEOs corporations...it seems that the fascist model of Corporations working with government is out the window... the oligarchs in the business sector hold ALL-the-cards... and Øbama can only heel, like a dog on a leash\

sad situation, sad progressive president

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Is not only him my friend, the only reason we didn't see the pitifulness of our corporate owned president is because presidents before him were more "friendly" and "gone along" with corporate America.

He tried to fight and he got defeated, he found out very early in his presidency that he was not the man in charge.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Yes, that could cause direct inflation but honestly considering the vacancies created in the depression 2t wouldn't cause anything remotely severe.. the companies are to terrified to spend the money anyways. And even if they did, it would go toward selective jobs and research, or business acquisition, and unlikely to create substantial jobs. It could also go towards keeping jobs, or offering raises.

To see severe inflation from corporations spending their coffers we would have to have them creating a LOT of jobs and an across the board increase in wages.

The Fed buying Tbills, even their last 600b purchase, causes much worse inflation than the slow trickle of funds from corporate coffers.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I agree - that is one of the very first things they hammer into your head in business school. The role of the firm is to provide return to its investors. If there was a way to capitalize that "." at the end of the sentence I would. That is how much emphasis is traditionally placed on it.

In any event - the meeting is over and it looks like a little deal making may have been done.

Boeing, Moto, Pritzker chiefs meet with Obama, other CEOs

The above article states Boeing has committed to hiring between 4-5k people in SC and Seattle.

The CEO of Motorola hinted at a bit of "lets make a deal"

Brown said that in preparation for the split, Motorola has been hiring new workers but would like to add more.

Brown listed as business priorities on which Obama seemed receptive as more favorable research-and-development tax credits and addressing a tax policy that encourages companies to hold large amounts of cash overseas rather than re-invest it here.

Yup - they would dearly love to hire more folks - and will in exchange for a break here, a policy change there.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Let's create jobs, like all the green jobs that went to China. Only one heavily government funded company makes solar panels in the USA. Most of the wind turbines are made in China. The SF Bay Bridge was made in China and shipped here. Most tech companies hire in overseas locations, some even have a percentage target. Why? Because that's how government incentivizes them.

Most businesses hate being in California, and they'll try to position most of themselves outside of California due to the state government. Similar to the USA, they'll try to position as much of themselves outside the USA as possible.

Problem is with Top CEOs, is they're not going to tell anyone how to create competitors or encourage small business. They'll make suggestions which stomp small businesses that are taking away their market share and grant more control to the government, like Cap & Trade, Green Business, Single Payer Healthcare, etc.

Not spending money means businesses have no confidence in the leadership or the direction of the country. They won't tell Obama that directly.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Trickle down ecomnomics at it finest. These greedy jerks could care less about America or it's people. They only look out for numero uno. I want to see the economy go bust becaue when money becomes worthless these jerks aren't gonna know what to do.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

It will probably boost HIS economy..

He will most likely get 20 big brown envelopes stuffed with cash..
His payment for bailing out the big guys and destroying their competition for them...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
American corporations must know which side of the butter their bread were spead on while in their infancy. It had been Americans workers and consumers that had help seed them to grow.

Today, they had matured, and flown to coup to enslave others profiting from cheap labour, and are even attempting to pay less taxes to the hand that fed them.

Is there any honour, or even debt of honour to the motherland and her people whom are suffering today? Is greed that powerful a trait that can make men turn traitors? We came into this world with nothing and will leave with nothing, except for the memories of our actions while given this gift of life, to be placed upon a pedestal with honour, or to be spat upon for generations if we performed less than honourably to society.

Traitors will only turn deaf ears upon such words anyway.

But there will be limits to human endurance, and when push comes to shove, no human will win. Best the corporations be aware, while sitting on their pile of riches as the common man starves. No doubt the President does not own or control the Corporations, but neither does he owns the People. The People owns him.

Compromises will have to be made, but it must be on a win win situation for all, never lop sided as 'globalisation' and 'free=trade' had been that benefitted the greedy corporations and wall street, but neither the common americans or the slave labour where they corporations settled down.

Competitiveness does NOT lay in prices alone and using wage as factor for reduction is costs.

Where one cannot compete or price, ways and means will have to achieve uncompromising quality our forefathers had been known to create and manufacture. Even the well off around the world shunned cheap but defective goods, for that is what will happen when price is the main factor to win consumers, profiting by cutting corners, using unproductive slave labour with whips and SCAMMING consumers to buy more replacements parts.

Cheated consumers will only buy once and the company will collapse overnight or change their labels with another scaming ploy. Lies and deceptions can only last so long. It will not only hurt companies but mankind as well for technology will become stagnant and even regress, not to mention that wealth and prosperity will be severely curtailed and lesser money being circulated.

There is much to be done for the eventual progress and evolution of mankind in technology and medical science that can and will help fuel growth and create prosperity for everyone. Miss this chance through selfishness and greed, and it will be end times for humanity ahead.

edit on 16-12-2010 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
If a dog repeatedly bit me, it wouldn't take me long to work out not to trust it. If i kept walking into the same lamp post, I would soon learn to walk around it instead.

Are there really people in the world who still even consider that a politician might even possibly have the peoples best interests at heart? Only in America...

top topics

join