It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few political proposals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Alright so we all know there is a serious political problem occurring in this country. From whatever cause you may believe it derives from you may or may not be correct. However there are some current problems that I feel need to be addressed and I am sure to get heavy criticism for my opinions but they are just that, opinions. Nothing will presumably ever occur from them.

Read the entire text below then feel free to communicate your thoughts on one, two, or all of the proposals.

1. Reform the House of Representatives

First proposal of mine is for a dramatic reform of the number of Congressman we have in the US House of Representatives. In 1911 the government passed a bill which made it law that we shall have no more than 435 Congressman, this was at a time when the United States had around 90,000,000 citizens. 100 years later we have 310,000,000 citizens and still 435 Congressman. Our population has multiplied 3.5 times but our Representation has stayed the same.

Each US Congressman represent about 700,000 Americans. When you have such large districts it takes more money to fund your campaigns. We all know the style of campaign funding in the US will never truly change so we must find real alternatives. By creating 3 districts for every one district we will have 1,305 US Congressman but each will represent about 230,000 Americans. This will cut the need for campaign funding to just one third of what it currently is, give greater voice in the US government to the people, and a more efficient representation.

2. Reform the US Senate

The truth is when the Founding Fathers authored the US Constitution they created the Senate for two purposes; one, representation of the states, and two, an aristocracy. Throughout world history we have always had an aristocracy in every nation, our founders were radical but not that radical to abandon such an common idea. The Senate was designed for an elected aristocracy which would instead of turning into Despots would do the job of helping the country.

Not only do I propose removing elected Senators by the people but even removing them from being elected from the State House/Senate. They should be solely appointed by the Governor upon his decision of who would do best at helping keep government and the nation in check.

At the same time however the powers of the Senate should be drastically cut back. Their job in general should be the baby sitters of the President and the House of Representatives. They would elect people to positions of oversight, transparency, accountability, and if they feel necessary they can challenge a law passed by the House. This would remove the Senate from being a den of political opportunists looking to get wealthy off of the lives of the American people.

3. Reform the Presidency

The President is elected every 4 years to another 4 year term which means they must always be on their feet politically. They spend 1 year campaigning, fund raising, and selling us out to the highest bidder. Now I propose that we abolish a second term for the President and replace the 4 year term with an 8 year term.

Powers of the presidency should also be reduced and handed back to the US House and the state governments.

Alright feel free to criticize, support, flame, correct, or whatever it is you want to do.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Giving this thread a little bump.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Well, I might even take things a step further and say to get rid of the house of representatives overall. To me, it is outdated. I think the house of representatives was mainly set up as a simpler way to have the people be heard. Back before the internet and phones, etc.. it was really hard to communicate with someone in another part of the country, so we elected people to represent us and go to Washington to make laws "for us".

This system seems to have been corrupted since there is so much corporate funding, and many of our elected bureaucrats are swayed by the money, instead of actually representing the people who got them there in the first place.

What would happen if we instead, allowed every individual person (of voting age) to actually vote on laws themselves? Sure some people wouldn't do it, but some people don't vote as it is anyway. Heck, it might even encourage people to get out and vote, since they know that they, themselves, are actually influencing the issue, instead of electing someone who probably won't follow through with their pre-election promises. Plus, who's ever elected a politician/representative who you agree with 100% on ALL issues? I think there is always some disagreeance. If you represent yourself, you don't have to worry about that and can give your honest 2 cents.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

How about we get rid of rulers and make all men equal again?

new topics

top topics

join