It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catch-and-release of Taliban fighters in Afghanistan angers troops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Catch-and-release of Taliban fighters in Afghanistan angers troops

washingtonexaminer.com

More than 500 suspected Taliban fighters detained by U.S. forces have been released from custody at the urging of Afghan government officials, angering both American troops and some Afghans who oppose the policy on the grounds that many of those released return to the battlefield to kill NATO soldiers and Afghan civilians.

And those numbers understate the problem, military officials say. They do not include suspected Taliban fighters held in small combat outposts or other forward operating base.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Didn't find this after doing a search anywhere else on ATS.

I've always been a supporter of the military and thought that while the reasons behind the iraq war were suspect, we (U.S.) were doing the right thing in afghanistan - until I read this article.

If taliban fighters that Americans fought, were wounded and died to arrest and take out of the fight are just released to fight again by the afghan leadership, then I now say it's over. Withdraw now!

IMO, the only way(s) the U.S. can stay in the fight would be to get rid of the corrupt afghan leaders, or no longer "take prisoners" on the battlefield. I'm sure you understand what I mean by that.

washingtonexaminer.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'll also add that this news if released during the Bush administration would have been front page headlines across the country. Of course that's not happening now to avoid embarrassing the current administration.

Truth is this should be an embarrassment to ANY administration that condones, or in any other way allows this practice to continue.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Catch and release.

When I read these types of stories it just tells me that Washington wants to fight this war like they did Vietnam. With one hand tied around it's [Swinging Pair]

I think Obama is trying to soften the US's stance. In preparation for a troop withdrawal. Recently posted article. He wants to make nice nice.

Afghanistan policy review expected to point to modest US troop withdrawal

Barack Obama to report sufficient progress in halting Taliban momentum to allow small-scale pullout of US troops in July

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Not at all surprising if you consider the U.S. is funding the Taliban as well. All the military spending we do is merely to make war a business. Keep the soldiers fighting, keep'em chanting "Freedom" and keep them seeking the blood of innocent civilians in pointless wars.

abcnews.go.com...

mediawitty.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Catch and release taliban?

Sounds like the worlds most Extreme Fishing!

With a little infidel bait, some dodgy camera angles and an over gungho presenter and you have yourself a show!

You fight for hours reeling one of those badboys in.. They cant resist that infidel bait it seems and come after it with gusto. You have to watch yourself with these suckas homeboys coz they have been known to take your arms, legs, even life only to be thrown back after the catch and some gungho photos.. Have to keep the fish stock up after all... Its an endangered species.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

How do they know they return to the battlefield and kill soldiers if they were just suspected?
2nd

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm fine with the catch and release of Taliban combatants, just don't let anything happen to the opium fields. That's what really matters in that conflict, a steady supply of red rock opium and black tar heroin.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Joehio

Haha.. you make the subject sound near and dear to your heart friend.
2nd

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I am truely astonished that anyone would buy into any story promoted by the PTB. They do have another agenda besides bringing freedom and clean water to the barbarians, you know.

It seems that if the military industrial complex criminals wrap any senario up in a red, white and blue flag, with John Philip Sousa playing the background music; that many people throw out their powers of critical thinking and buy any BS as their patriotic duty.

I was chumped out once by them. Can't you see what's happening and been happing since Nam. sheesh...

IMO, the only way(s) the U.S. can stay in the fight would be to get rid of the corrupt afghan leaders, or no longer "take prisoners" on the battlefield. I'm sure you understand what I mean by that.

Don't you get it? Those corrupt Afghan leaders serve at the behest of the Military.

edit on 15-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I'm afraid the problem here is the Commander and Chief, Obama and his policies of appeasement. He cares more about Political Correctness and his image to those in other countries than he does our own Soldiers lives. That much is painfully obvious.

One could almost begin to conclude he is attempting to destroy us from within for an Ideological agenda through weakening our Military and spending us into a Third World status. He simply can not be dumb enough to do the things he does and not know the end game.

I can no longer come up with any other satisfactory explanation except he is trying to destroy us, so he can rebuild us in His Image.

He is chipping away at us a bit at a time and that is becoming obvious as is his link to Bush, who still fully supports Karzai. Between that and both of them having this bizarre relationship with Mexico where Illegals now appear to have more rights than citizens, it's getting hard to ignore.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

I'm afraid the problem here is the Commander and Chief, Obama and his policies of appeasement. He cares more about Political Correctness and his image to those in other countries than he does our own Soldiers lives. That much is painfully obvious.

I'm afraid you give Obama way to much credit. He does what he is told to do! Otherwise he would have done what he campaigned on.

Commander in Chief...........don't make me laugh

The world that Beck and Rush paint is as far from the truth as Star Wars or Kaptin Kangaroo.
edit on 15-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Joehio

ANYWAY

On topic.

I feel this will cost lives in the long run.

edit on 15-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
apparantly just having a bruised shoulder is enough to end up in jail in afghanistan as they claim you must have been shooting an automatic rifle.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Afghan war = dog-n-pony show until the pipelines are built and secured

I wouldn't be surprised if these "Taliban prisoners" are the same people the US has hired to secure the pipeline and then rounds them up for photo-ops and feel-good "hey look how many bad guys we've caught!" moments for the press.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join