I was thinking today about the analogies between Navy fleets on 2-D water and the starship fleets in 3-D space we see in science fiction (in
particular, Star Trek, though all science fiction, from Star Wars to Babylon 5, qualifies)...
What I was pondering was this question: "What are the real starship classes a star fleet would need?" My knowledge on Navy fleets are limited, so
I'm hoping for some ATS/BTS help from members who can enlighten me!
Here's what I've come up with so far --
1. Fighter class -- the smallest of ships, they are basically one man fighters... the space equivalent of fighter jets in the air or tanks on land.
Examples include "Danube" class shuttles in Star Trek, and X-Wings and Tie Fighters in Star Wars.
2. Escort class -- like the "Defiant" class ships in Star Trek, they are good for both fighting and protecting larger ships when the space
equivalent of a 'carrier group' moves.
3. Cruiser class -- Cruiser and Battleship classes are basically the same size; however, Cruiser class ships transport people and cargo. The closest
examples I can think of are "Nebula" class and "Galaxy" class ships in Star Trek.
4. Battleship class -- basically, a Cruiser class ship that has the space that was used for transport of people or cargo stocked with weapons. The
Battleship class ships are the backbone of any space fleet, for both war and defense. The closest examples I can think of are "Prometheus" and
"Excelsior" class ships in Star Trek.
5. Carrier class -- the largest class of ship, like a "Galaxy" class or "Sovereign" class ship in Star Trek, or a Star Destroyer in Star Wars.
Although the writers in Star Trek never took advantage of this, ships as large as the USS Enterprise-D
and USS Enterprise-E
excellent carriers, if many of their decks were used to house Fighter class ships that could be launched on command, instead of housing units for
families or promenades
Well, that's what I've come up with so far. For example, I could see a 'carrier group' in the Star Trek universe (24th Century) being composed of
one Sovereign class ship (with about a dozen Danube class ships docked inside it), a couple of Prometheus class ships, a couple of Nebula and Galaxy
class ships, and about a dozen Defiant class ships. This would ensure safe transport of people and cargo from one planet, moon, or starbase to another
planet, moon, or starbase. Also, if the Cruiser class ships are replaced with Battleship class ships, you'd also have a 'carrier group' quite
capable of going into battle!
What do you think? This is just the rough draft of my ideas -- I'd love your input and ideas to add to this!