It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to ban drop side cribs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- In a unanimous vote Wednesday, product safety regulators agreed to ban the production and sale of drop side cribs in the United States.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission voted 5 to 0 to implement a new federal crib safety standard that does away with the traditional drop side crib design.

CNN

I don't know about this, We personally have one and our daughter used it as a baby and toddler.

I just think this is a way to get consumers to putout several hundred dollars to buy a new crib. Cribs are not cheap!

I am always reading the news and have not seen anything on "baby getting killed by new crib", though I could be wrong.

maybe there is a problem, but I just haven't noticed.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I have a pack and play! cribs are so 1920's lol

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I haven't used a drop-side crib with either of my babies, but I think the regulations often go too far. My husband works as a designer in the juvenile product industry (strollers, high chairs, etc) and some of the safety standards are surprisingly strict already.

I wonder how many of the 'structural problems' came from parents not assembling the crib correctly. There can be all the safety standards in the world for a specific product, but nothing can prevent ignorance or inability to follow instructions.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
32 deaths in 10 years is the figure i have gotten in regards to Drop-side cribs. That would be 3.2 deaths per year. I'm fairly sure there is a less than 1% chance a baby will die from falling out of one. I'd say this is overreaction. Second hand smoke is more deadly to infants yet we don't ban cancer sticks.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
32 deaths in 10 years is the figure i have gotten in regards to Drop-side cribs. That would be 3.2 deaths per year. I'm fairly sure there is a less than 1% chance a baby will die from falling out of one. I'd say this is overreaction. Second hand smoke is more deadly to infants yet we don't ban cancer sticks.

I challenge you to find one baby that dropped dead because someone lit up a cigarette in the room.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well, the regulators need to make it appear as though they are busy with work, and so, they will vote to protect the children so they can make their committee look good, and they get to keep their jobs.

Think about it: If they don't ban stuff, there is no need for their committee.

So even if there were no dangerous products out there, they would still ban stuff even if it only killed 1 person per year, or could potentially kill people.

You gotta love bureaucrazy.

Meanwhile, they completely ignore dangerous products like fluoride in the water. Sure, putting poison in the water is safe, so long as you put it below xxx parts per billion! No one is dying.

(Completely ignoring the fact that fluoride in the water wasn't designed to kill, it's designed to dumb you down, just ever so slightly, keep you docile. Hell, it worked for the Nazi's, it'll work for the NWO!).

edit on 15-12-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

It has been established that infants who live in a home with a parent who smokes are more likely to die of SID's.
www.sids-network.org...
www.sids-network.org...
kidshealth.org...

Do not smoke around a child period. It is toxic.

new topics

top topics

join