It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Girls Getting Pregnant For an Audtion on MTV's "Teen Mom" ??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

MTV's Teen Mom was good in theory -- to give teens a real-life look at just how difficult it is to be a teenage mother -- but instead of being a deterrent, it's actually encouraging teenage girls to get pregnant so they can be on the show.

There's been plenty of musing about how it glamorizes teen pregnancy since it and other shows like 16 and Pregnant first hit the air, but one of the saddest things I've seen in print came from Rob Shuter at PopEater:

industry insiders tell me young ladies are so eager to be on reality TV that they are actually getting pregnant just to score an audition.

Are you shocked that girls would actually get pregnant just to get an audition for these shows?

thestir.cafemom.com...

IMO: truly sad, we live in a world where reality tv has become the benchmark for greatness. If you polled a bunch of elementary school kids, .. I wonder how many of them would aspire to be on Jersey Shore, or American Idol.

Are these shows creating the trashy atmosphere, ..... or simply a reflection of it ??

edit on 15-12-2010 by IntastellaBurst because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2010 by IntastellaBurst because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well I guess there is not much that would shock me anymore, sad, just sad

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What the heck is it with this generation?? Im old... but not OLD.. Ive seen a lot of stupid things but this generation takes the cake for serial stupidity. I swear sometimes when Im feeling particularly cynical I can understand the idea of mandatory sterilization for welfare recipient free breeders.

I think I need more sugar in my coffee today..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Can't really say I'm not surprised especially after seeing all the magazines they have that show on when I was at work. Seems as if they are glorifying pregnancy rather than showcasing how hard it is to have a kid and go through the labor pain. I think I saw roughly around a minute to two of one show just to see what was going on in the world. The girl talked about how hard it is to find time to do other things, next second they show her ice skating and doing other stuff she likes. So guessing girls probably see this as a way to get what they want. Hopefully they won't lose sight of the life they bring into the world.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
wow, My explanation, mommy and daddy never paid any attention to them so now they want to be rich and famous so they go get pregnant to be on TV. It's their stupid choice they'll realize it when they have a baby and no life anymore. Reality tv is corrupting our minds just bring back gladiator fights. End the stupidity..

However I do like that show I'm Pregnant and didn't know it on TLC. And say yes to the dress.. And sister wives... but Young people and reality TV don't mix.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
One crazy ass situation deserves another.
The parents of these teen momma wannabes should go after MTV and sue them for child support.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'm not really surprised either. It's sad but I guess it should have been expected. The world for these kids is such a different place than it was when I was their age and I'm only 30. I can't imagine what it will be like for my kids when they are 16 but hopefully I'll be a good enough parent to prepare them.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Im not old, im in my 20's and it seems the difference between age groups or generation gap if you will is getting shorter and shorter. Kids aged 14 for example are barely recognizable compared to when i was that age. Anyway, girls getting knocked up to be a reality tv star is not shocking to me at all really, which is just sad...

edit on 15-12-2010 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
wow, My explanation, mommy and daddy never paid any attention to them so now they want to be rich and famous so they go get pregnant to be on TV. It's their stupid choice they'll realize it when they have a baby and no life anymore. Reality tv is corrupting our minds just bring back gladiator fights. End the stupidity..

However I do like that show I'm Pregnant and didn't know it on TLC. And say yes to the dress.. And sister wives... but Young people and reality TV don't mix.

Pregnant and didnt know it is a SCARY show.. more of a horror show than anything Ive ever seen
I cant imagine being in the position of plopping out a baby out of the blue. **shivers**

If I can do it.. ANYONE can. Make normal choices and have a decent life. I waited until I completed my first degree to have kids and get married. There ARE ways to prevent it.
I spaced my kids out according to my finances.. one is 17, one is 12, and one is 5. I had my children later in life so I could enjoy myself, have fun with my husband, and attain a few goals Id set. When it was time to be a parent, I was well equipped and had no regrets for childhood lost. I stopped having kids when I felt it was an appropriate number that was easily affordable. We were capable of my quitting work and raising kids/home schooling.

It just IS NOT that hard. If you make mistakes.. fine, youre human.. any more than one mistake is an on purpose.. so dont expect me to pay for someones bad choices and on purposes. Blah blah.. this subject really annoys me.
The parents of these girls need a sound smacking around..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Not shocked at all. Just look into the short history of "reality TV" and you will see that a good portion of those people, "Reality TV Stars", move onto to bigger and better things. Reality TV is nothing more than a springboard. People from "The Real World" have moved on into acting, working as producers. One of the ladies from "Rock of Love" now has her own show. Anyone remember Wlliam Hung? He was on the first season of American Idol, and he did a HORRIBLE job as a singer, but that did not matter. It did not matter that he never made it past his audition, he actually went on to sing as a career, got paid lots of money, so people can laugh at him.

Yes that guy was offered a record deal and made 3 albums... all from a failed appearance on Reality TV.

Lacey Conner was one of the ladies from Brett Michaels "Rock of Love" show. Where women came onto the show to compete for the love of Brett Micheals, the lead singer from the 80's band known as "Poison". Lacey is now the lead vocalist for Lords of Acid, as well as being a spokes model and is also now the host of her own rock and roll related show which is expected to be picked up by a major network in the very near future.

"Rodeo" also from Rock of Love, has went on to host her own show related to Motorsports called Sick Speed TV.

Heather from Rock of Love has been traveling back and forth from LA to Vegas pursuing her career as an actor.

Coincidentally, a lot of these women are also working part time in Las Vegas as "Featured Showgirls" at various strip clubs.

edit on 15-12-2010 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2010 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I wouldnt care one bit if I knew I wasnt going to have to pay for their mistakes.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Exactly, .... but how do we approach that situation ??

I think mothers in need should be supported, .... but it also seems as though once they have a child they completely give up and become dependant on the system and child support.

Perhaps their parents should get stuck with part of the bill, .... since it was their parenting, ... or should I say lack thereof which has contributed to the situation.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

What the heck is it with this generation?? Im old... but not OLD.. Ive seen a lot of stupid things but this generation takes the cake for serial stupidity

Why are you bashing a whole generation for something a few girls are doing to get on a TV show?
I'm 16, and I'm getting sick to death of people bashing my Generation because of something a few idiotic people are doing. Our Generation has a great knowledge of technology and understanding.

I also don't get why our parents and grandparents act like they had nothing to do with the way we are now.
We didn't create TV, we didn't create all this media hype. It was generations before us that created the problem.

So why do we take the cake? Because of some hoe who got pregnant because she wanted to be famous?

Thanks for insulting my whole generation.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

When society takes all responsibility for getting pregnant away from the parents, it makes such rash decisions easier to contemplate.

Daycare paid for by the State
Welfare paid for by the State
Schooling paid for by the State
Healthcare paid for by the State
Food, housing, and clothing assistance paid for by the State

And if all else fails, unload the kid to an adoption agency.

Praise Mao and may Stalin impregnate your teen daughter.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Thanks for the post...very intriguing since I chose this topic for comment above all others probably because the other conspiracies seem well vetted, the innocent asking questions, debunkers all over them and real truth buried somewhere in between.

Anyway, I expected the answer to this was truthful, yes there are teens wishing for auditions and therefore seeking the part.

What surprises me is the complete lack of critical thinking, use of logic and reason in this particular generation born in the 1990s. This generation seems to actually believe a novel is a text of more than 140 characters, with reading skills honed by the use of phoenics. LOL and B4U have an etiquite reserved for street language and real disrespect for an errant text becomes cause for violence.

If the brain can not process the possibilities or reason toward a particular outcome of one's behavior, then we have the perfect, barefoot and pregnant teen...basically a scourage on our welfare system and society.

But do not expect this particular generation to think of such ideas...because they probably have not an original idea since birth...or which cell phone to get next..all those new features, I am resigned to expect no help in my future survival on this planet if this crowd gets even a modicum of control.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
What is the world coming to .....

Their selling our futures down the drain and we happily accept it because the package comes with entertaining programing.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. MTV has become the epitome of idiocy. Be it the crappy music, the idiotic shows they have or whatever. The funny part of it all is, that MTV has become the "norm" for what's considered "cool".

So with that being said, with the state of mind many of our teens are in, is it that surprising to find out they'd get pregnant to get on MTV? I know I have a rather bleak opinion with teens, and I know not all of them are idiots. But it's nothing new, that people will do almost anything to get on TV.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Teens have been getting pregnant since the dawn of time. This is nothing new. I watch all of the Teen MOm shows, and I think they are a good thing for other teens to see. The show does not glamorize anything, it shows the ups and downs. I feel sorry for some of these kids, and do not think teens are getting knocked up just to be on the show.

Some of these kids display a lot of ignorance about pregnancy and the mechanics of sex (ie one girl said they used the withdrawal method).

That type of uneducated ignorance rests soley on the shooulders of their parents.

To the poster upthread who said whats wrong with this generation, there is nothing wrong them. Maybe instead of a nasty judgemental attitude, make some teenage friends and actually give a care.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. MTV has become the epitome of idiocy. Be it the crappy music, the idiotic shows they have or whatever. The funny part of it all is, that MTV has become the "norm" for what's considered "cool".

So with that being said, with the state of mind many of our teens are in, is it that surprising to find out they'd get pregnant to get on MTV? I know I have a rather bleak opinion with teens, and I know not all of them are idiots. But it's nothing new, that people will do almost anything to get on TV.

Amen brother .....

Idiocy indeed. ....

On a related note, one of my close friends just got into Jersey Shore, ...... which in itself, is ok .... theres nothing wrong with that.

However he doesn't realize that most people watch that show because its entertaining in the " what will these douchebags do next" kind of way. They have become a running joke in the media......

So he thinks its "cool" .... he's 29 mind you....... so now he's going around calling himself the situation, and using Jersey slang like a complete retard, ..... in fact he just got a lip peircing last week. It reminds me of like a middle school kid trying to imitate something he doesnt understand, .....

The worst part is .... most reality tv shows these days arent even real !!! but mostly scripted !! so their making a conscious effort to appear trashy and stupid.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Please don't tell me you are going to do this Stella.

I do not think you are mentally capable of handling that sort of responsibility yet. Television is not important enough to throw your life away for.

Just wait, one day you will find a nice man to settle down with and have a child. Give it time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join