It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All U.S military personel to be armed with an iPhone...........

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
"We're looking at everything from iPads to Kindles to Nook readers to mini-projectors," said Mike McCarthy, director of the mission command complex of Future Force Integration Directorate at Fort Bliss.

www.usatoday.com...

As if these won't be tapped and/or monitored. PLUS they have GPS.....

Hmmm.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Maybe they could make a bomb finding App.....

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Its all part of the Windows 8 intergration the military is doing. The military is already using Windows 8 and working with Microsoft to make changes to it. The Windows 8 for public use is 2012. At the builderburg meeting Microsoft released a pdf file by mistake to the web and then pulled it after they noticed the mistake. News media then covered up the pdf was talking about military use of Windows 8 and just said it was talking about the general ideas of Windows 8 for future releasee in 2012. Microsoft was in too much of a hurry to say we finally have a military contract with the US government I guess.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
why the HELL is the military using Windows. lmfao

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Maybe, just maybe, we can equip them with a nintendo D.S. or how about just get them all an xbox or wii. No, all kiddin' aside I simply think theres more prudent things to do with the money.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Hmm, they release this information just a few days after the I phone patriot app makes the news.
May be nothing to it but Im betting that some or all military and government employees were
given brief training on how to spot "suspicious" activity while on and off duty and on how to report
this activity using their brand new I phones.

Hehe, and people say we arent being over-policed.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Windows 8?

I wish. We just upgraded to Vista.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I agree with the OP, but what's stopping anyone from doing all those things to our phones right now?

As far as Windows goes, I have not heard anything about Windows 8 in-service. Must be at some test-bed locations if it is anything more than rumors. In reality, the military is just now getting around to pushing Windows 7 as a standardized desktop environment... The whole thing has been a mess since the Vista push anyhow, as Comm forced Vista without bothering to upgrade most computer's RAM past 1gb. It's made work unbearably slow.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MyrTheSeeker

Thats exactly what happened here, we were forced to upgrade to Vista, but the hardware was still the same.

Now it takes 10 minutes to log on. Need more RAM.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by JBA2848

Windows 8?

Yeah.

Buddy must have meant WINDOWS SERVER 2008

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

No it was Windows 8 and they talked about the new wifi that was protected and how they were testing the ability to communicate with aircraft by touch screen note books on flight decks to know what weapons were on the jet in real time.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well, for a start the iPhone is not built to operate below freezing or above 35C.

Doesn't work if you are wearing gloves.
Requires two hands to operate.
Not waterproof.
Emits radio signals, allowing the holder to be located.
Very easily jammed by the enemy.

They say they are not going to do much to ruggedise it, so it should never be relied upon as anything other than a personal item.

Military kit costs a lot because it is built to work in extreme conditions, and with extreme reliability.

This is a consumer item, not a potential piece of field kit.
A military version, if possible to build, would cost at least ten times the retail price.

Somebody clearly hasn't thought this through at all.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
But....how are they supposed to shoot anybody with both thumbs and eyes glued to that shiny little gadget?
Obviously whomever made this decision has spent approximately ZERO time observing people equipped with devices of this nature.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ommadawn
Well, for a start the iPhone is not built to operate below freezing or above 35C.

Not waterproof.

You should FWD this to [email protected] LOL

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

Originally posted by ommadawn

Not waterproof.

You should FWD this to [email protected] LOL

My first job was at a place where they qualified devices to mil spec.
Take a commercial diode worth 3cents and prove it is military grade and sell it for $10.

Man does it get tested. Expensive, but when lives are involved.

Best memory was testing some devices in wafer form. These were chips with 4 amplifiers on them,
called quad op-amps (TLO64'2 if you really want to know).

Anyway, we had a great batch, and pretty much all devices were just passing 100%.
Made by Harris Semiconductors, so we we're too surprised.

Then all of a sudden one of the amps in the quad would fail completely.
Step to the next chip and two of the amps failed completely.

I took a look down the microscope. They were failing because we had reached the edge
of the wafer, and half the chip was not physically there, whilst the bit that was worked perfectly.

That's military grade stuff.

iPhone could b e, but you would have to qualify every component up to mil spec.

But then you are back with the fact that it's just a phone, not a piece of military hardware
in any shape or form.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

reply to post by JBA2848

Windows 8?

Isnt that a downgrade?!! That has to be the worst rushed buggy OS that the monopoly ever created!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by CanadianDream420

No it was Windows 8 and they talked about the new wifi that was protected and how they were testing the ability to communicate with aircraft by touch screen note books on flight decks to know what weapons were on the jet in real time.

We communicate with jets and I can assure you we don't have Windows 8.

As for touchscreen stuff, I think your actually thinking of FBCB2 which uses a touchscreen and a Unix OS. I got to work with it quite abit during development with TRW at Fort Hood. Its not WiFi though. It uses SINCGARS and EPLRS.
edit on 15/12/10 by MikeboydUS because: EPLRS

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by spolvil

reply to post by JBA2848

Windows 8?

Isnt that a downgrade?!! That has to be the worst rushed buggy OS that the monopoly ever created!

2nd worst. The honor of the worst OS ever goes to Windows ME

Even that lime green color was repulsive

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
If the military decides to go this route with these phones, they will most definitely be tracked or tapped. Th article mentioned giving the soldier ease of instant access to intelligence. This data link system will need to be secure and encrypted, meaning the phones will need to have the right codes to access this data link. This entails countless modifications to the system, phones, encryption codes, among other things. It will all need to be tracked to make sure it is not abused in anyway.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Need to send important classified documents to Wikileaks?

There's an app for that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join