It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tobacco company enticed black children with free cigarettes, jury finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Tobacco company enticed black children with free cigarettes, jury finds

www.rawstory.com

A jury has ruled the Lorillard Tobacco Co. tried to entice black children to become smokers by handing out free cigarettes and has awarded $71 million in compensatory damages to the estate and son of a woman who died of lung cancer.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Another one of those stories that just boggles the mind...

So basically this tobacco company were the neighborhood drug dealers, pimping out free supplies to the local poor african american children.

Unscrupulous, shameless behavior would be the understatement of the year. Peddling their death, all in the name of profiteering.

You wonder how many more cases there were just like this, where the person never thought to come forward...

Ugh.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Crazy however...

company spokesman Gregg Perry said. "The plaintiff's 50-year-old memories were persuasively contradicted by testimony from several witnesses. The company will appeal and is confident it will prevail once the Massachusetts Court of Appeals reviews this case."

Let's see what happens with the appeal
You never know, this could just be an opportunist.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I remember Marlboro used to send very glamorous young girls with very few clothes on around to the university bars sometimes that would basically flirt with you and give away free lighters and things if you bought cigarettes from them, they had the packs in bullet belt type things.

I had already been smoking for a while before that though and I hate marlboros

new topics

top topics

join