It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Greek Riot Footage.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
(opens up popcorn, hits play)
lol at rioters using fire extinguishers on cops.
Does anyone know who the guy is at the end with the bloody nose?

edit on 15-12-2010 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
well...i feel a bit sorry for the cops :S cant help..

but i like the fire extinguishers idea....not much harm but good protection

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This one isn't just kids.
Lots of guys in their 30's, 40's, 50's taking part.
gonna have to read up on what this one is about,
is it just a continuation from last summer?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The situation is getting worse by the day in Greece and the police look totally incapable of controlling the irate protesters.

My worry is that the police strike back with live fire arms to regain control and to terrorise the populace into submission.

Europe is in turmoil at the moment with violence and riots in the Greek , Italian and English capitals and the scary thing is I believe it will get much worse before it gets any better.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

horrible...horrible..i could cry..honestly...what an incredibly horrible thing to have to see...what these #ing bastards have done in robbing the people is so incredibly awful...its terrible..the robbery is terrible..the violence....everything...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Violence follows violence. The situation is terrible but the only way to win is by peaceful protest, not through violent actions. With protests happening all over Europe the more responsible among you need to keep those more impulsive elements calm, don't let things be lead by the violent and the hot headed. Lead by example and protest peacefully or you will guarentee deaths by the hands of those paid to protect us. That is the sad reality.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Doyle

Gandhi was peaceful and fell to the hands of violence. Not saying your wrong. I just am not sure about peaceful protests either.
edit on 15-12-2010 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
progress, not quite the right direction, but progress non the less

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."

-Mahatma Gandhi

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I get your points but can anyone argue that violence doesn't follow violence? If this cannot be argued then how can anyone support violent protest without supporting the potential death of innocents? In all situations of disagreement civility requires the better man to refrain from escalating a problem before anything can be solved. That being said, again I ask, how can we be justified in supporting violent protest? Two wrongs really don't make a right.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Thats former minister Hastzidakis, one of the bastards responsible for the mess those working poor are in.

110Billion Euros is not a small amount of money my friend... It's kind of like, well how can I say this...
It's exactly what the banksters and politicians did in the USA. Bail out the big banks and corporations after they gambled our money away, then raise taxes on the working poor and middle class to pay for their screw ups.

That guy deserved a little worse than the bloody nose he caught.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Does anyone know who the guy is at the end with the bloody nose?

He is a former minister,Kostis Hatzidakis

This one isn't just kids. Lots of guys in their 30's, 40's, 50's taking part. gonna have to read up on what this one is about, is it just a continuation from last summer?

There was a strike today and what started as a peaceful march against the goverment,ended again in a war.The so called anarchists started fires and threw molotovs to the police and soon most of the protesters got involved.I had to go to work today,which is the center of Athens,so i saw(and inhaled) most of what happened.

My worry is that the police strike back with live fire arms to regain control and to terrorise the populace into submission.

You won't believe me if i tell you that there are many people who wish that police would use live fire against all those who burn and destroy.

The situation is getting worse by the day in Greece and the police look totally incapable of controlling the irate protesters.

The protesters usually don't cause trouble.In Athens we have at least 2 or 3 different marches everyday with no trouble.When these anarchists infiltrate they start all these.

Here is the BBC link:

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Wow thanks great post from the front lines. Most news articles I read say these people are leftists. I bairley know the difference between leftists and rightists but don't leftists want more government? Can you be an Anarchist and a leftist? Are these news articles just way off?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
That footage is amazing. Not necessarily good, but eye opening. Although in my lifetime I haven't seen any changes come about through protest. I think a more effective tool we have is boycott, because it all comes down to the dollar and the corporations don't want to loose yours. Although when the government and businesses are in bed together, it's hard to boycott them and all they represent.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

Yea, it is a shame that people in the US just keep taking it, and taking it. You will never see this in the US. The people would be shot down quietly before it got out of hand that far.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It is a pretty drastic measure to declare that companies no longer have to honour union contracts, one of the changes they brought in after just 10 hrs. debate.

All of this just so Greece receives a bailout from Europe. It does seem that the global corporatocracy has the common guy by the short n curlies. All going to plan.

I agree that it is better to protest than sit idly by. On the other hand, what would happen if Greece just told EU to "stuff it" in terms of the bailout. Could it be any worse in the end?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by angrydog

I did to (first time for everything) The way they are skipping around at the little pops haha

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I hate what the government are doing all over the world.
I wish the protesters would turn on the ones with the petrol bombs.
and stop it going to all out violence.
or is that what they wont?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

Wow thanks great post from the front lines. Most news articles I read say these people are leftists. I bairley know the difference between leftists and rightists but don't leftists want more government? Can you be an Anarchist and a leftist? Are these news articles just way off?

Once upon a time people who went to the marches were leftists(aka communists),but nowadays it is not a matter of political orientation.It is a matter of survival.New taxes,cut down of the salaries and pensions and layoffs.Of course they haven't cut down their own salary.
The problem here in Greece is that for 20+ years there are 2 political parties,the same people,that they do the same mistakes and the Greeks still vote for them.Afterward they protest against them and in they next election they vote for them again.
As for the anarchists,most of them are wanna be anarchists.They don't even now why they go out on the streets.They have someone that tells them to go to burn and destroy and they just do.No ideology.If you ask them why they do that,they can't answer you.

On the other hand, what would happen if Greece just told EU to "stuff it" in terms of the bailout. Could it be any worse in the end?

The greek goverment don't have the guts to do that.Our politicians are puppets.

I hate what the government are doing all over the world. I wish the protesters would turn on the ones with the petrol bombs. and stop it going to all out violence. or is that what they wont?

There are rumours that the ones that start the violence or abet mindless kids to do so they are in the goverment's payroll.They infiltrate the protesters in order to cause chaos.So that is why they will never get caught.Last May in a similar protest 3 people died in a bank because they went to work on a strike day.In the news video there was this guy who shouted at them:" you will die traitors".After a few minutes some kids went there with molotov bombs and burned the bank.These people were were trapped inside.Noone was arrested.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

Thats former minister Hastzidakis, one of the bastards responsible for the mess those working poor are in.

110Billion Euros is not a small amount of money my friend... It's kind of like, well how can I say this...
It's exactly what the banksters and politicians did in the USA. Bail out the big banks and corporations after they gambled our money away, then raise taxes on the working poor and middle class to pay for their screw ups.

That guy deserved a little worse than the bloody nose he caught.

My guess is that's why this bill authorizing an extension of current tax rates will not be passed. Government NEEDS to raise taxes(especially if they wanna paper over more losses). Our government is not going to live within it's means, and because of that this system will collapse. There just aren't enough people in a position of real change to do anything about it. All the real reformers can be counted on both hands, and in the scope of things, that's not really good.

My guess is we'll see this here in the US. Especially in places most dependent on government handouts...I'm just imagining all the 20 year old able bodied men in my town who are on food stamps rioting and imagining themselves legitimate for doing so.
edit on 16-12-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I don't buy the premise that there are people being paid to stir up violence. For as much as I disagree with rioting over government handouts the hypocrisy shown by the Greek government is bad enough to warrant a swift ass-kicking by the people regardless.

The LA riots come to mind. I was living in LA when it happened(Over the police beating of Rodney King). No one involved in that sort of lawlessness and disregard for the rights of ones neighbors had a legitimate reason to riot. But they did, why? Because it was a symbolic culmination of racial discrimination among our police forces that has victimized the black community for a very long time. But they destroyed their own neighborhoods...Granted, most people didn't riot, even in the ghetto. But the ones who did were enough to drag everyone else into a fight for survival.

Rioting is an expression of collective frustration being bottled for too long. It is also the most primitive form of mob rule. It is behavior you will never see me advocate, even if I am understanding of the reasons behind it.

edit on 16-12-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join