It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teargas fired at Greece protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Teargas fired at Greece protesters

itn.co.uk

Anti-austerity demonstrations in Athens have turned ugly as protesters and police are involved in running street battles.

Teargas has been fired at protesters who threw petrol bombs at two luxury hotels in the central Syntagma square outside parliament. A balcony on one of the hotels caught fire.

The violent clashes have come just hours after parliament approved reforms and spending cuts. The measures are a condition of a major EU/IMF bailout.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.occupiedlondon.org...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The Greek protests have errupted in violence again. On other threads re the protests in London some of the posters have been advocating out and out violence.

Violence is not a bright response to any of this - what's happening in Greece NOW would appear to confirm that. Protest has to be more tactical. TPTB have the law and the weapons on their side.

I have posted reminders of the UK police demo - it was illegal to protest anywhere near parliament. They q'd to see their MP. Much Smarter

itn.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Next comes the water cannons, then the rubber buckshot and bullets, and then they pull out the crew-served, belt-fed weapons.

I keep waiting for this crap to start up here in the US.

This will not turn out well.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Thisngs are heating up every where on around the globe where the citizens are being rolled on. The tyranical actions of the governing body of the world have crossed the line.

It's time to bring protest to the front doors of the American governing body as well. Americans need to stand up now and unite our cause with the other protests taking place through out the world. We need to act as one clan of the oppressed peoples of this world.

The Time Is NOW!

edit on 15-12-2010 by W3RLIED2 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

I've asked the question why protests are not taking place here in the U.S.
I still can't figure it out. Is it because we're drinking fluoridated water? Is it fear? Is it laziness? Is it ignorance? Are we too trusting of our government? Is it denial? Are we afraid of taking risks?

Will it be too late when we DO decide enough is enough?

Why is our tolerance for injustice so high compared to other countries?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TETRA.X
reply to post by MMPI2

I still can't figure it out. Is it because we're drinking fluoridated water? Is it fear? Is it laziness? Is it ignorance? Are we too trusting of our government? Is it denial? Are we afraid of taking risks?

I guess we could say that since so many Euro nations have physical borders with other nations, the interaction on a social order or disorder is far more evident and much faster than what the U.S. scene is.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TETRA.X

You know in Kuwait women have no rights. zero - none. They don't pay taxes (nor do the men) and the government give every newly married couple a house or 200k+ to build one in a style that they want. The women don't protest for rights because they feel comfortable and well off. Maybe that's why american's aren't protesting. I'd also suggest that your governemnt is capable of turning on its own people more viciously than any of those in Europe and that this is in peoples' minds.

My ex was an American - I think the stat is about 5-10% of you guys hold passports. He told me that if more of you travelled to Europe you would be absoluteley furious - you keep being told you have a standard of living the rest of the world envies. If more American citizens came to Europe they would see that simply is not the case.

In short - you are the victims of state of the art propaganda.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

lol... just lol...

you a funny guy. most governments in europe are democratic. what the protesters are doing in greece is wrong. they are not wrong by protesting but they are wrong by hurling petrol bombs into hotels... that is when they crossed the line and became more than protesters. Protesting is one of the more effective means for common people to voice a common opinion but violence is not warranted in protests.. your messege gets lost in your actions and then those looking that the protest find it harder to sympathize with your position. I am sympathetic with greece's response to their government austerity measures but less so now that they are making people spend money on fixing the damage they caused... money that could have gone to rebuilding their economy and ending the austerity situation now has to be used to rebuild the buildings they lit on fire.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by knowonder

It's wrong that the protestors have turned to violence I 100% agree with you that it loses the point of the protest and public sympathy.

Fact is worldwide ordinary people are being asked to pay for the criminal acts of the banking fraternity. At least in the US these people are being investigated (more than 600 of them). Here in the UK they are the untouchables - not one charge. They had governemnt support of course.

We faced massive unemployment here in the 80's. The problem was NEVER rectified - they just came up with clever solutions to keep it hidden, They stopped talking about it in the press for starters - got more than 50% of young people into university on sometimes very questionable courses - because young people under the age of 25 with nothing to do are dangerous. They turned their backs when ecstasy became available en masse - it gave the feel good endorphin chemicals that people weren't getting from their lifes. And they fed us with so much celebrity trivia no-one took any notice as cameras filled our streets.

The trick for this new generation of protestors is not to allow violence to be part of the protest. (Its the students at the moment but when the cut backs that have been announced are actually put into effect it won't ONLY be young people on the streets.) We have to use our heads and play tactically.

Now Vodaphone profits amounted to profits nearing £8 billion - and they pay little tax on that. Campaign to put a stop to tax havens and dodges for these global corporations. Stop them milking us all. The salaries they pay to ordinary workers are pathetic - amounting to little more than waged bondage. Salt on the wounds that the UK tax credit system subsidises their appalling wages. i.e. tax payer - governments after all have no money - they just redistribute OURS.

In Iceland the IMF has taken a hold - even tho they were supposed to be out of the country's affairs as of now - they have declared they will be there until next August with imposed conditions on the people there.

In Ireland it was an EU directive that forced the government there to bail out the banks instead of letting them fail - as a consequence it will be the ordinary man and woman paying off their banks debts.

Ho hum.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by knowonder

I respectfully disagree.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
These protesters make me sick.

They are the epitome of the selfish ''me, me, me'' type of people that are so prevalent in Western countries, who expect to have everything laid on a plate for them.

Some Western people think they've got a divine right to live in an unsustainable lifestyle - of which they've contributed virtually nothing towards - because of an accident of birth, and are now throwing their toys out of the pram now that they are having to face up to previous overspending ( which they weren't complaining about at the time
)

So standards of living are going to drop ? Services being cut ? Tough. Now you might get a tiny inkling of how 95% of the world's population have to live all of the time, through no fault of their own.

Now stop your whining, stop being so selfish, and get on with living your lives in more austere times.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
These protesters make me sick.

They are the epitome of the selfish ''me, me, me'' type of people that are so prevalent in Western countries, who expect to have everything laid on a plate for them.

Some Western people think they've got a divine right to live in an unsustainable lifestyle - of which they've contributed virtually nothing towards - because of an accident of birth, and are now throwing their toys out of the pram now that they are having to face up to previous overspending ( which they weren't complaining about at the time
)

So standards of living are going to drop ? Services being cut ? Tough. Now you might get a tiny inkling of how 95% of the world's population have to live all of the time, through no fault of their own.

Now stop your whining, stop being so selfish, and get on with living your lives in more austere times.

I'd say the reality that most people have been a living a life that has equated to waged bondage. Working to pay to get to work again next week. Not everyone has the convenient flat for him in the city and the lovely country home for raising the children....that is just propaganda. Most people struggle to pay all the bills that they are required to pay....are kept busy doing so...and ordinarily have no time to look up to see what's happening around them.

Now that they're losing their jobs...well...they have the time to make a noise.

I repeatedly stress that I do not condone violence - it defeats the purpose of making a noise about anything. Nor, however, do I condone the fact that millions of ordinary HARD WORKING people are being asked to pay for the consequences of a few criminal banksters. Now they are selfish and sick.
edit on 15-12-2010 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TETRA.X
reply to post by MMPI2

I've wondered this myself.

The main conclusion I come to is that the people of the United States are accurately described as a "sleeping giant." As a group, we tend to be a pretty low key and tolerant bunch. We waited until Pearl Harbor was bombed until we finally took action, and the Islamic Fascists had to actually bomb downtown manhattan and the pentagon with passenger aircraft before anything happened. Mind you, islamofascists tried to blow up the WTC years before 911 and they have been "poking" at us pretty regularly since about 1972.

The sleeping giant metaphor is a good one. I think that US citizens understand that if widespread protests start to happen, and we get a real conflict between law enforcement/the political & banking "elite" and Joe Six-Pack, things will turn VERY violent VERY fast.

In both of the examples above, it took a lot of prodding by the people that incited, aggravated and woke the giant. In the first example, the "giant" got so agitated that he used thermonuclear weapons on his agitator, and in the second he invaded at least three sovereign countries and has dumped countless tons of ordnance, pain and death on his enemy.

There are roughly 330 million people in this country, and there are enough privately owned firearms and ammunition out there right now to give each person a weapon and (at least) a couple hundred rounds of ammunition. My point in stating this obvious fact is to punctuate the notion that a widespread insurrection would lead to EXTREME violence, bloodshed and property damage from which we may never recover. For most probably a combination of reasons, the europeans don't tend to operate under this particular dynamic.

The War between the States taught us, if nothing else, that we as Americans are pretty good at killing the hell out of each other, and I believe that it was this lesson that tends to keeping the american "giant" dozing and relatively complacent.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

You know what makes me sick? Banksters and politicians looting the public treasury to pay for their bad decisions and expecting the average working person to make sacrifices to pay for it.

I don't agree with violence, but the people should be pissed off. They didn't run the massive financial ponzi scheme.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
I'd say the reality that most people have been a living a life that has equated to waged bondage. Working to pay to get to work again next week. Not everyone has the convenient flat for him in the city and the lovely country home for raising the children....that is just propaganda. Most people struggle to pay all the bills that they are required to pay....are kept busy doing so...and ordinarily have no time to look up to see what's happening around them.

Nobody's forcing anyone to work.

People work so as they can afford the luxuries in life, rather than just the necessities. The welfare State is there to provide the necessities.

And what are these bills that people struggle to pay ? Are these for things that some people in less-developed countries have to go without, such as ( clean ) water and electricity ?

As I say, people need to stop whinging about cuts, and think themselves lucky that they live in one of the select few countries in the world with the highest standards of living and services.

Western countries, post-austerity measures, will still be largely preferable to live in than most other countries in the world.

I repeatedly stress that I do not condone violence - it defeats the purpose of making a noise about anything. Nor, however, do I condone the fact that millions of ordinary HARD WORKING people are being asked to pay for the consequences of a few criminal banksters. Now they are selfish and sick.

People in less-developed countries work just as hard, and in many cases, harder than their Western counterparts, yet they don't get top-quality services from their governments in return.

Why do so many people in the West think that they've got a divine right to receive these services in return for what they put in ?

edit on 15-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Nobody's forcing anyone to work.

People work so as they can afford the luxuries in life, rather than just the necessities. The welfare State is there to provide the necessities.

And what are these bills that people struggle to pay ? Are these for things that some people in less-developed countries have to go without, such as ( clean ) water and electricity ?

As I say, people need to stop whinging about cuts, and think themselves lucky that they live in one of the select few countries in the world with the highest standards of living and services.

Western countries, post-austerity measures, will still be largely preferable to live in than most other countries in the world.

People in less-developed countries work just as hard, and in many cases, harder than their Western counterparts, yet they don't get top-quality services from their governments in return.

Why do so many people in the West think that they've got a divine right to receive these services in return for what they put in ?

edit on 15-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

Do you know something i get really pissed off with people who think they can live off the state. Some of us who still have a semblance of decency left in us would not dream of living off the state unless absolutely necessary (which actually equates to living off our fellow citizens). You think the government pay for unemployment benefit? No - that's people like me. Ordinary people.

We live in a state that has suffered mass unemployment for decades now - its just got really good at hiding it. Unemployment stats in the UK today? 2.5m and rising according to today's news. Yet 6 months ago it was nearer 3 million. People living on incapacity benefit 3 million. People receiving state subsidised wages - tax credits (mostly working for global corporations) in the region of 6 million. Those on Income supprt - another 3 million.

That's in the region of 12 million people - of a working population of 25 million dependent on the state. The rest are children, students, and pensioners. The state has NO MONEY. It simply redistributes OURS. We are living a lie - and have been for a long time.

Do not kid yourself about how well this country is doing - methinks you watch too much tv - and swallow it.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I forgot to add the 3 million on incapacity benefit - make that 15 million out of 25 million.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

Just curious here, but whats your opinion on the Xatzidakis issue, was it directed at that particular person or was it a response to Greece's current status, obviously i am referring to it from a panoramic scope.

join