It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TSA X-Ray Machines Easily Fooled, Researchers Find (thought so...)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

The Transportation Security Administration's X-ray backscatter scanners have been the center of a widespread controversy, following concerns from privacy advocates that they take nearly naked photos of people. The trade-off is improved security, of course. Yet Leon Kaufman and Joseph W. Carlson, two physics professors at the University of California, San Francisco offer a stark conclusion: They can be easily duped, according to a recent paper published in the Journal of Transportation Security.

"It is very likely that a large (15–20 cm in diameter), irregularly-shaped, cm-thick pancake with beveled edges, taped to the abdomen, would be invisible to this technology -- ironically because of its large volume, since it is easily confused with normal anatomy," the researchers said in the paper. Kaufman and Carlson conclude that some types of foreign objects can be reliable detected only if they are packed outside the sides of the body, and some well hidden items would be impossible to see even with the scanner.

Experts have already highlighted that such machines are unable to detect hidden plastic explosives. The authors of the new paper expand on these limitations -- and it couldn’t come at a worse time, as families prepare for holiday travel plans.

Because of the inherent detection methods, raising the level of X-ray exposure and thus the picture clarity wouldn’t help. “Even if exposure were to be increased significantly, normal anatomy would make a dangerous amount of plastic explosive with tapered edges difficult if not impossible to detect.”

Source: www.foxnews.com...

Just more proof that this whole fiasco is not about security but about looking like you are concerned about security. There is a difference.

Eventually, they will find out what they can get by the scanners and then Boom-literally.

Again I say, we need to focus on the terrorist and not the methods they may use. PROFILE-question, make them un-atease.

I still don't think it will really matter, once the terrorist get over their fixation on airplanes, that they can just walk into any waiting line and get as much if not more damage there. Sad to say but it's true. Every airport I have been in, the choke spot is security. And, they don't have any weapons or patrols. So, who's gonna stop the crazy?

Just keep lining up and moving along-in step. (moo, mooing can be heard)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I hate that everyone is looking at the elephant in the room and going "Oh well. Security, right?" "Yes...terrorists can't harm with us THIS in the room." There are so many loopholes in the system.
edit on 15-12-2010 by DevilJin because: no reason

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You'd think if they did a little research into the machines, they'd figure that out.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I wonder if the TSA and the US Gov are gonna ask for all of the taxpayer money back from the Michael Chertoff - led electronics companies that supplied the things.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
They pushed the use of TSA/Scanner without testing it thoroughly ? Someone was in a hurry to sign the contract and make money...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
They said that the machines couldn't save pictures, then we found out that they can and do, and that they are transmissionable
(not to mention that on thanksgiving they just relaxed and let many through to speed up the flow and minimize the controvercy...
...where were the terrorists then?)

the machines aren't the only thing thatt is easy to fool

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

"It is very likely that a large (15–20 cm in diameter), irregularly-shaped,

Did you even bother to read the beginning of the sentence? It doesn’t say it WILL go undetected. It says VERY LIKELY. This wasn’t tested.

There are so many loopholes in the system.

And each one is closed as they are found.

Since profiling is not allowed in the US (I feel it should be allowed).
And since you people on here are so perfect.
What would you do to prevent people from boarding with dangerous items?

new topics

top topics

join