It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FIFA President causes outrage over 'no sex' comment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Anger over 'no sex at Qatar World Cup' joke

GAY rights activists have reacted furiously after FIFA President Sepp Blatter joked that gay football fans should "refrain'' from sex during the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, where homosexuality is illegal.

Asked about concerns over the treatment of gay fans at the tournament, Blatter responded: "I would say that they should refrain from any sexual activities.''

The comments, made during a press conference in South Africa alongside the country's President Jacob Zuma, are the latest slip-up from the gaffe-prone football chief and provoked an immediate and fierce backlash.

Former NBA basketball star John Amaechi - who revealed he was gay in 2007 - led the attack, accusing the FIFA president of "epic, archaic, neanderthal, ignorance.

"With little more than an afterthought FIFA has endorsed the marginalisation of LGBT - lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people - around the world,'' he wrote on his blog.

"Anything less than a full reversal of his position is unacceptable.''

Another typical overreaction by the Gay and Lesbian community in regards to an answer given by Mr. Blatter to an inflammatory question. The issue of course is that homosexuality is considered illegal in the country that has won hosting rights to the 2022 FIFA world cup, Qatar. Whether this is "right" is of little relevance. When you are visiting a country that is foreign to you, it is expected that you abide by the rules and regulations of that country. Therefore, the answer he gave was actually reasonable - those attending the World Cup that are in a homosexual relationship might not have been aware of this fact. At least now they are being educated about differences in law and social norms between the different cultures.

He was already grilled earlier in the decade by Feminist Groups for suggesting Women Soccer/Football players should wear "tighter" shorts to attract greater interest in their sport. While those comments and his recent ones might seem distasteful, they are accurate statements. Unfortunately, they have been manipulated by the Media and used by Special Interest Groups to promote causes that were never attacked in the first place!

What are your thoughts?

edit on 15/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: spelling, grammar, title change

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
You know what, Mr Blatter couldn't be any lower in my estimation, the man is a total fool, and I honestly beleive he will ruin football (whats not ruined already) As far as insensitive treatment of the gay community, all totally expected , Blatter is a walking minefield!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm less intrigued by this Blathole fellows comments than I am by the notion that these events with a worldwide interest and following are going to be held in a nation where gay activities and sentiment are illegal.

Who was the genius that decided to have it in an fascist/arab country anyway?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by arise91

So, what would be your answer if you were asked what advice you had for Gay people intending to attend the 2022 FIFA World Cup? His answer might seem cold, but what he said has educated people that expressing their homosexuality in Qatar might put their lives and well-being in danger. Wouldn't you want any Gay family/friends to know that the freedoms they enjoy in the West are not granted in other countries such as this one, before they decide to visit there?
edit on 16/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: calrity

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
So, basically the FIFA president told people not to have gay sex in Qatar because it is illegal and they might get in trouble for it, and he gets vilified for it? Regardless of whether the law is reasonable or not, that seems good advice to me. If people have an issue with this, they should take it up with the government of Qatar, not FIFA.

top topics

join