It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atoll yields clue to Amelia Earhart's last days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Atoll yields clue to Amelia Earhart's last days

www.smh.com.au

The riddle of Amelia Earhart's disappearance has only grown more complex in the 73 years since the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic went missing attempting to fly around the equator.

But now an array of artefacts from the 1930s and bones found on the uninhabited Pacific atoll of Nikumaroro suggest that Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, endured lingering deaths as castaways on a desert island and were eventually eaten by crabs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I remember reading about this when I was a kid, even to the point of thinking that Amelia Earhart was still alive somewhere marooned on an island. Seems I may not have been as far wrong then as I thought!

I recommend visiting the article and reading it in it's entirety if you are unfamiliar with the Amelia Earhart story.

Enjoy

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Yea, I watched that documentary the other night.

It's plausible, but highly speculative evidence.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Speculative evidence? I suppose... However this is the guts of the story I found the most convincing.

"The suspected finger is being tested for human DNA. It may turn out to be from a turtle, which have similar bones in their flippers.

But other discoveries lend credence to the theory that Earhart died on the atoll after going missing in July 1937 at the age of 41.

They include part of a mirror from a woman's compact, a zip from a Pennsylvania factory and travel-sized bottles made in New Jersey as well as a pocket knife listed on her aircraft's inventory, all manufactured in the 1930s.

Alongside the goods are the remains of small fires with bird and fish bones, and empty oyster shells laid out in a row as if to collect water."

Case closed I'm afraid... At least it sounds as if they might've survived for at least a while on a tropical island... together... not an entirely terrible way to end a legacy.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MavRck

You can't say case closed unless there is definite proof that there are human remains and those human remains were undeniably Earhart's

Until then, it's speculation, and while it's possible, that they died on that atoll, without definite proof, it's still just speculation.

While I share the excitement that others do that this may be the last resting place of Earheart and Noonan, there are things that would prove more definitive, like one of the engines from her airplane.

Otherwise, who knows, it could be people on the shipwreck Norwich City who ate on the island before being rescued.

Don't get me wrong, it's compelling, but the evidence isn't conclusive at this point.
edit on 12/15/2010 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

top topics

join