It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Status Anxiety (a documentary)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

We care about our status for a simple reason: because most people tend to be nice to us according to the amount of status we have (it is no coincidence that the first question we tend to be asked by new acquaintances is ‘ What do you do?’). With the help of philosophers, artists and writers, the book examines the origins of status anxiety (ranging from the consequences of the French Revolution to our secret dismay at the success of our friends), before revealing ingenious ways in which people have learnt to overcome their worries in their search for happiness. It aims not only to be entertaining, but wise and helpful as well.

This documentary is posted on MegaVideo in 3 parts which I can't seem to imbed here, so I'll just link them instead:

Status Anxiety 1/3
Status Anxiety 2/3
Status Anxiety 3/3

I had intended to write a persuasive intro and summary of the content to entice you to watch it, but decided that (for those who care to watch it) it's best to let the documentary speak for itself. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised at how balanced it seemed in the end, especially after doing a little research about the writer... which I'll admit challenged my own prejudice.

I hope you enjoy it and that it will arouse thought and discussion.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
You'll have to embed them... It sent me directly to a 'sign up' page... which I am not willing to fulfill.

Hope to see them embedded soon... sounds enlightening.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

I experience that kind of anxiety on a daily basis... I'm disabled. But it wasn't always like that.

Before, I was feeling appreciated and often complimented. And then, when problems arised, all the qualities I had evaporated from their mind(family, friends). I feel they blame me for my own illness(fibromyalgia, not well known from a good majority).

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MavRck

Just push play again when it becomes green.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Shot me straight to the videos... works for me, thanks Emachine - I'll check em out.

new topics

top topics

join