It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hope Of THe 2018 World Cup In Qatar.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Many Cynics say that Qatar got the FIFA 2018 World Cup Hosting Rights by somehow less than honourable means.
They say how can a sport that is in its FIFA charter not allowed to be played above 100 deg F , be ordered to be played in the 115 deg plus F of the qatar summer.
Shame....Shame...on the knockers.
Lets give our blessings to Qatar
edit on 15-12-2010 by Dr Expired because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Are not their stadiums going to be air conditioned?

As an Australian I had hoped we would have got FIFA 2022 but since we did'nt my 2nd choice was for the Middle East to have it for their first time.

Qatar; lots of money and probably more than the USA. Like the Olympics, FIFA is known to be corrupt.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Qatar is 2022, Russia is 2018.

The problem with the Qatar bid is the perception in the west of freedoms granted to its citizens. While we are certainly in no position to tell others how to live, FIFA hides behind a benevolent mission in which they advocate tolerance in all aspects--saying no to racism, equal rights for women, etc. Qatar falls well short in many of these categories which are supposed pillars of FIFA's mission. They employ virtual slave labor from Bangladesh. Those are the people who will be building all of these modern stadiums.

This leads many to believe that FIFA is corrupt, which I agree with, because coupled with these issues of government and rights, the country is incredibly small, and hot as hell in the summer time. It basically isn't fit for football since you can't air condition an outdoor stadium in 115 F, or an entire country, which is what you'd actually need in this case.

The Middle East should host a World Cup, but there are far better candidates among those nations than oil rich Qatar, who was evaluated by FIFA as having significant risk associated with their bid. The two strongest bids, the U.S. and England, didn't win, which leads many to wonder what is the point of bids if they are going to disregard it. If you do any amount of research into this, you'll clearly see obvious signs of a corrupt institution.

I can't really complain with Russia, although their media are in danger for their lives on a daily basis, something no country should have if they wish to hold the world's game. Belgium-Netherlands would have been my choice, since they've never hosted it, and England a close second because they are the original bastion of soccer. Australia should have won the 2022 bid because they haven't hosted, even though I'm an American and would have loved to see it here.

On a side note, I hope hope hope that Israel qualifies for the 2022 WC. That would make my day.
edit on 15-12-2010 by MGriff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MGriff

I think he knew that but got his years mixed up.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   

I heard the rumours of rigging well before the announcement and they did say Qatar was going to get the Cup..
FIFA is as corrupt as the IOC..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
FIFA is corrupt. There have been several stings showing FIFA officials taking bribes to vote for a particular country. FIFA is rotten to the core.

Then we have the Qatar 2022 games. This is FIFA's Sepp Blatter laughing at the homosexual issue. His behaviour and the behaviour of his FIFA buddies is disgusting.

I really hope that these games will be boycotted by football fans.

These corrupt old dinosaurs ruining football need to be replaced as soon as possible.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

At the end of the day I just want to see some REAL professional soccer playing in the next FIFA.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
There's no conspiracy theories when it comes to FIFA's corruption. It is fact, it is blatant and they actually seem to take pride in being the most blatantly corrupt organisation on the planet. As soon as they decided to award two world cups at the same time this year any possibility of fairness in the bidding process was gone. It allowed vote swapping deals to be made behind the scenes between nations bidding on the cups and they even went to the trouble of convincing the UK, USA & Australia to all pull out of one bid to concentrate on the other. This took away bargaining power that was required to get through the initial rounds of voting.

There was nothing fair or honest about any part of the process, the only thing that matters is how much you are willing to pay and even more so this time because after the GFC, FIFA el presidenta Mr Septic Bladder needed to top up the coffers for his fast approaching retirement.

The decision to award the 2022 world cup to Qatar is beyond a joke. Even with the issues of the heat, timezone, tiny population, rock hard grounds and other negatives that we know about the location, we may still have been able to understand the decision if the Qatar's football history, passion and performances on the field showed they were deserving of the opportunity. However the fact is that Qatar has never even qualified for a world cup before and their national team is ranked well outside the top 100. But what is even worse is that they could not even field a national team if it were not for the fact that they have been allowed build a team of imports that have been paid gazillions of dollars to pledge their allegiance. Most of the team were born and raised in Sth America - Yes that is correct, they even bought their team.

Through the entire bidding process every part of Qatars bid from location, security, transport you name it they were ranked last by FIFA. If anyone still thinks that Qatar was a good decision then I leave you with this - Not only has Qatar purchased their national football team, they have even been busted forging players birth certificates in their quest for footballing success. Their number one player is Sebastian Sorian Quintana who up until 2004 was playing in Uruguay where he was born. When he came to Qatar in 2006 he played for the national U23 side at the Asian Championships. Apart from not being a Qatari, Quintana was born in 1980 according to all previous records in Uruguay. However when he arrived in Qatar he suddenly gained four years of his life back as the Qatari's 'discovered' he was actually born in 1984.

Right now there is a perfect opportunity for some rich megalomaniac to come in and start a rebel World Football organisation in direct competition to FIFA. Let them go and play by themselves in Russia and Qatar while the rest of the football world enjoy a real world cup.

JAK

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

No.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Hopefully this can be used as an oppoutunity to get some much needed money into that area so that the people there can get some steady employment and congradulations to The State Of Qatar for winning this bid and best of luck to the Qatar national team.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Qatar is going to need as much luck as it can get in order to just make sure that they don't lose each game by 10 or more goals. I would much prefer Australia, America, England or even Canada (who wasn't even trying to get it as far as I know and whose team is a joke) than Qatar.
edit on 16-12-2010 by frozenspark because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
Many Cynics say that Qatar got the FIFA 2018 World Cup Hosting Rights by somehow less than honourable means.
They say how can a sport that is in its FIFA charter not allowed to be played above 100 deg F , be ordered to be played in the 115 deg plus F of the qatar summer.

I suggest you do some research if you think the temperature is he only thing that violates FIFA's own rules on host countries for the World Cup. It was a joke, a sham, and anything else you can think of. I do not give my blessings at all and hope that their infrastructure fails and it has to be moved to a country that truly deserves it.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
Hopefully this can be used as an oppoutunity to get some much needed money into that area so that the people there can get some steady employment and congradulations to The State Of Qatar for winning this bid and best of luck to the Qatar national team.

Clearly you are grossly misinformed on Qatar and what is going to transpire. If by area you mean the Middle East, then yes I think it's good to bring the game to the Middle East. Qatar is one of the wealthiest countries in the region, and what do they do with the plethora of money they have? Use it to employ virtual slave labor from Bangladesh. The World Cup isn't going to do anything in terms of employment opportunity. The undesirable jobs are hired out to paltry wage slaves, which is who will be undertaking the massive task of prepping for a World Cup--stadiums, hotels, and larger airports. This will create no new job opportunities for that average person, as Qatar is the one hosting the World Cup, not the entire Middle East. Those Banlgadeshis are mighty excited to get any sort of job opportunity, even if they are one of the most exploited work forces on the planet. So yes, there will be plenty of employment opportunities as you said, but only for a grossly exploited work force bordering on slavery.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
FIFA has been shown to be a corrupt bunch of cronies. All FIFA cares about is making money from all the back handers that will come their way by hosting it in countries with tightly controlled media. this isn't about football or what is best for the game it's about making the 22 panel membership of FIFA lots of money.

new topics

top topics

join