It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Ice volcano' identified on Saturn's moon Titan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Scientists think they now have the best evidence yet for an ice volcano on Titan, the largest moon of Saturn.The Cassini probe has spotted a 1,500m-high mountain with a deep pit in it, and what looks like a flow of material on the surrounding surface.

Not such a ground breaking find but what I found interesting is the fact they are saying there is a lot of organic material in the atmosphere, Titan as we know is a difficult one to observe due to it's haze surrounding it, the scientists are now saying this maybe due to organic material coming up from the interior of these volcanoes...

It's quite an interesting read:
'Ice volcano' identified on Saturn's moon Titan

edit on 15-12-2010 by Majestic RNA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

You will see much information presented to us about titan in 2011 believe me when I say this. The powers that are in control of this world are running out of time and they know it!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Hi Fran, maybe your right, I hope so, I personally think Humans are in their infancy when it comes to space exploration, let's wait and see what 2011 brings us in the form of new space discoveries..

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Thanks for this news, majestic. S&F

There are strange coincidences about Titan in these days....

I wander: how Cassini Space Probe collect new data on Titan.... IF..... it was in "safe mode" during its epochal rendevouz with TITAN? www.abovetopsecret.com...

Since going into safe mode, the spacecraft has performed as expected, suspending the flow of science data and sending back only data about engineering and spacecraft health. Cassini is programmed to put itself into safe mode automatically any time it detects a condition on the spacecraft that requires action from mission controllers on the ground.

Hmmm.... Someone say lies....

And Yes.... TITAN, may hold life. www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 15-12-2010 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Hi Arken, I've noticed a few Titan related coincidences too, the "Safe Mode" saga may well have been just a blip, or it could be NASA holding back info they have on the moon, who knows? Interesting thread you put up regarding this… as for life on Titan, well I think it's certainly possible, Titan has Methane Rain and huge Lake's so there could well be life that lives in these lakes constructed like no other life form we know of… If Fran is right then we could be finding out soon... Fascinating moon though that's for sure..

Methane Rain Formed New Lake on Saturn Moon

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

I don't know if Fran is right. I hope so.
But I hope also that if something change in a side of TPTB then, We will see "amazing news" about Titan and many other "things" in the next few months.
For the well of all human kind.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Titan of Saturn
And Europa of Jupiter.

My two favorite moons.

Both have atmospheres of sorts.
TItan's is obvious.
But if you fudge the definition a little. I'd consider Europa's Ocean, and the ice that caps it as the two layers of protective atmospheric layers. Ice protecting against harmful radiation. And the ocean....The breathable part.
Does that make sense?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Hi spacedoubt, yeah that makes sense, I find these moons fascinating also, Europa's ice crust could well hold life under it, we have life living under the ice on the Earth so why not there also, it's said that Europa has liquid under the crust due to the heating of the moon from tidal flexing, I wonder just how warm it gets under there…. As for Titan as you say the atmosphere is there for all to see, methane based creatures could very well thrive on this moon… I wish I had a spacecraft to go look for myself

Good article about Europa here:

High Tide on Europa

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Titan of Saturn
And Europa of Jupiter.

My two favorite moons.

Both have atmospheres of sorts.
TItan's is obvious.
But if you fudge the definition a little. I'd consider Europa's Ocean, and the ice that caps it as the two layers of protective atmospheric layers. Ice protecting against harmful radiation. And the ocean....The breathable part.
Does that make sense?

Make sense.... Make sense.....

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
There are strange coincidences about Titan in these days....

I wander: how Cassini Space Probe collect new data on Titan.... IF..... it was in "safe mode" during its epochal rendevouz with TITAN?

Hmmm.... Someone say lies....

Cassini does flybys of Titan quite regularily. There's no reason to assume these findings aren't based on earlier flybys. As a matter of fact, reading this article, it sounds like they used new 3D-mapping techniques on "old" data to make their findings. Sometimes it takes quite a lot of time to make new findings, even if you have the data.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I wonder how long it'll be before we can send a probe to collect a sample?

new topics

top topics

join