It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers report possible HIV infection cure; others cite dangers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Researchers report possible HIV infection cure; others cite dangers

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Researchers in Germany are reporting that they may have cured a man of HIV infection. If true, that would represent a scientific advance, but not necessarily a treatment advance, said researchers familiar with the work.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Any kind of advancement is a always great.

A HIV-Positive man who also has myeloid leukemia, was given a stem cell transplant in 2007, and also stopped taking his anti-HIV medications. 14 Months his leukemia hit him again.

But his next stem-cell transplant contained a "rare, inherited gene mutation that made them naturally resistant to infection with HIV"

So far his immune system is back to normal, has been off of his meds for 3 + years, and has had no further signs of leukemia, or any signs of HIV replication.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Is this what we have been waiting for?
Could this be the the cure for so many people?
Or will this story disappear due to the powers that be?
I, for one, am optimistic that this could be the beginning of the end of such a horrible disease.
Time will tell.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The gene is CCR5 delta 32/delta 32 and its not that rare.
About 10% of Europeans have it.
The hard part is finding someone with both the CCR5 delta 32/delta 32 gene and a matching donor type
www.nejm.org...
www.pbs.org...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Already a thread on this - use the search function! I swore I'd never moan about that, but there we go. Now I look like a noob.

BerlinPatient HIV cure thread

LOL after posting the above, discovered there's a thread that pre-dates the one I linked!

Here it is:

HIV cure thread

Please can the mods merge these threads and bump it up in the breaking alternative news section, so that ATS gets on board and tests out this incredible story and its potential implications for patients, care providers and Big Pharma profiteering?

edit on 15-12-2010 by FlyInTheOintment because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join