It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elected tea partier Allen West calls for mass censorship of US media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

The government should censor news agencies that report on US documents leaked by websites like WikiLeaks, according to a tea party-backed Republican who will soon represent the 22th district congressional of Florida.

Speaking with an online radio station, Rep.-elect Allen West said that attacks on the US were not limited to "a bomb or an airplane flying into a building," but could occur "through cyber attacks" or "through leaking of very sensitive classified information."

The Tea Party was pushed onto the national seen by Rep. Ron Paul from his 2008 Presidential Election Campaign. Now the Tea Party has done exactly what many people have assumed they would do, sell out. Look at the differences between the founder of the modern Tea Party movement, Ron Paul, and one of the people elected through the Tea Party movement, Allen West.

"In a free society we're supposed to know the truth," Rep. Paul said. "In a society where truth becomes treason, then we're in big trouble. And now, people who are revealing the truth are getting into trouble for it."

And

"Regardless of whether you think it causes any harm, the fact that here is an individual that is not an American citizen first and foremost, for whatever reason gotten his hands on classified American material and put it out there in the public domain," West continued. "And I think that we also should be censoring the American news agencies which enabled him to do this and also supported him and applauding him for the efforts. So that's kind of aiding and abetting of a serious crime."

That is quite a stark contrast between these two.

The fact is that the Tea Party is a sellout just as they are bought and paid for like over 90% of the US Government. Nothing new here except that they are some ‘Populist’ movement. Every chance of change you see in this country, anyone who tells you they will give you more freedom and a better future chances are, they are lying.

Elitism dressed up as Populism to win over the love of the peasants, how very sad it is. With Spencer Bacchus saying the Congress works for the banks and now this guy wanting to censor media that has any involvement with WikiLeaks. What a great bunch we have coming in the next US Congress.

Seems to me the next two years will be very productive, if that is what you consider government passing legislation to further strip us of our rights and freedoms whilst desecrating the US Constitution.

edit on 12/15/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Classic. Backing up his claim to censor the media (as if it's not censored enough already) with the threat of terrorism.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

edit on 15-12-2010 by Giovannetti44 because: grammar. its a good thing

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
It's even funnier to me how the troops overseas are supposedly "fighting for our freedom", yet they can't even read the New York Times anymore! It's been shut down on government computers.

Oh, the irony. They are fighting for the "freedom" to have their newspapers censored. I can't stop laughing.
edit on 15-12-2010 by FalselyFlagged because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Very sad. How much more proof do people need that our system is broken? As Cyndi Lauper once sang - "money changes everything". I guess that;s why the people keep getting screwed, we don't have any money.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Regardless of what they say... All politicians / leaders are the same... NONE of them care about the people they represent only for their own twisted little agendas.. Maybe one day humanity will realise just how useless politicians / leaders are and learn to think / act for themselves instead of blindly following Idiots on power trips...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Wow... what a POS. Always using the fear tactic to further an agenda. I sincerely hope this man fails and is removed from office as all other will-imposers of any party should be.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
When Palin and Beck usurped the movement
this was the logical out come...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Yeah we Are fighting for your freedom but in order to preserve your freedom we have to censor, restrict your movement, steal your money, bankrupt your economy, spy on you, and send your children off to die for oil and bankers... the amazing thing is more Americans cannot see the irony...

edit on 15-12-2010 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Anyone else get the feeling that some form of censorship now seems inevitable?

Let's hope it's not the internet - they may not be able to shut it down, but Homeland Security have shown they possess the ability to offline sites without notice... the writing is on the wall imo.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Just playing devil's advocate here, but I can't find anything pertaining to the backing of the tea party.
I find, on Wikipedia that he supported the tea party, but not vice versa.

He is also now saying he meant "censured" not "censored" however I don't see that calling for one is any better than the other.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

According to rawstory and misoir logic (now, there's an oxymoron!), anyone who spoke in approval of Tea Party ideals, or was endorsed by Sarah Palin is a "tea partier."

By such thinking, if you ever ate a salad, you are a vegetarian; if you've crawled through a stop sign or two, you're an habitual criminal.

This type of thinking is what makes current Progressive/Liberal/Democrat ideology such an empty shell of what it used to, and should, be; and instead is now nothing more than abject, shrieking fear of conservative thought and policies.

All whine, no substance.

Deny ignorance; just try.

jw

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
If Mr West were in my district,this view would cost him my vote. Palin though actually probably never could count on my vote definantly cannot now. I think many in the tea party wont support either of their views but alot of them will.

I'm still on the fence about wikileaks ultimate goal but facts are facts,wiki didnt steal the documents and more importantly Assange is not a US citizen. Censorship is simply intolorable imo and were I a soldier I'd certainly want to see the documents and I would as I'm sure most of them will too.

Theres no putting the genie back in the bottle here I'm afraid,the best the US can do is pre-empt what it dares and brace for the worst.
edit on 12/15/10 by nickoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
Just playing devil's advocate here, but I can't find anything pertaining to the backing of the tea party.

Tea party favorite Allen West gunning for Ron Klein's seat via tampabay.com

Tea-Party-Backed Allen West Wins Seat in Congress from Florida via cnsnews.com

Farai Chideya Interview with Allen West: Tea Party Star in Florida via popandpolitics.com

Lt. Col. Allen West wins House seat via wnd.com

In a House race watched nationally, tea party favorite and retired Army officer Allen West...

Your internet skills are lacking.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Are you happy now people?

You got your tea. Hope you like it yellow-ish and scalding hot because it's going to be slowly poured down your throat as you watch this sellout of a party further destroy the United States.

I said, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, TEA PARTY PATRIOTS?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Not yet we need to wait till 2012 to get the rest of the idiotic progressives and big gubment idiots out of office.

Nobodys perfect and there certainly are no perfect politicians but the tea party my friend is still growing and will steamroll the elections in 2012.

I'm sure Mr. West can be corrected as can many others,bend to the will of the people or go on un-employment.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

It's not just censorship. The whole First Amendment is on the table here, if not the entire Bill of Rights and the Constitution.

...US-Canada negotiations for the North American Union are being finalized - reports say the deal will be signed after New Years Day - the US-Mexico component is already signed, sealed, delivered.

...According to the NAU's precursor, NAFTA, our nations' laws MUST be harmonized. Canada does NOT have Free Speech and Freedom of the Press like the USA.

Looks to me like the First Amendment is on the negotiating table for the NAU.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
That is very unfortunate. So much for change and now so much for "restoration". I wonder how long before ATS has government mandated "Report This" buttons which inform the federal government of dissenting opinions.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
That is very unfortunate. So much for change and now so much for "restoration". I wonder how long before ATS has government mandated "Report This" buttons which inform the federal government of dissenting opinions.

Whoa you might have people on this board deemed "enemies of the state" like the Soviet union. They'll disappear or have an accident or randomly commit "suicide" for no reason.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

Originally posted by Oaktree

Tea party favorite Allen West gunning for Ron Klein's seat via tampabay.com

Tea-Party-Backed Allen West Wins Seat in Congress from Florida via cnsnews.com

Farai Chideya Interview with Allen West: Tea Party Star in Florida via popandpolitics.com

Lt. Col. Allen West wins House seat via wnd.com

In a House race watched nationally, tea party favorite and retired Army officer Allen West...

Your internet skills are lacking.

Well, I read every story you posted, and even watched one video.

In the first link you posted, Tampabay.com called him a tea party favorite, yet no endorsements from the tea party.

I read the next story from your provided link, and although CNS news calls him a "Tea Party favorite", again, no endorsements from the tea party.

Then I watched your next link, a video interview w/ Farai Chideya.
Tremendously entertaining (sarcasm) but again, no endorsements from the tea party.

I then read your fourth link, in which WND states:

"In a House race watched nationally, tea party favorite and retired Army officer Allen West soundly defeated Democratic incumbent Rep. Ron Klein

Again, unless WND is the voice of the tea party, not a single tea party endorsement.

So, as I said in my post:

I stand by my original statement.
The fact that a media outlet assigns a label to a politician, in no way means that this assignment is accurate.

I would also counter that my "internet skills" are less lacking than your "interpretive reading" skills.

top topics

join