It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Eruption Rocks The Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Although the actual event took place August 1, 2010, scientists are just now coming to grips with the magnitude of this anomaly. Here is an excerpt from the article explaining exactly, to the best of their knowledge what took place.

On August 1, 2010, an entire hemisphere of the sun erupted. Filaments of magnetism snapped and exploded, shock waves raced across the stellar surface, billion-ton clouds of hot gas billowed into space. Astronomers knew they had witnessed something big.

It was so big, it may have shattered old ideas about solar activity.

"The August 1st event really opened our eyes," says Karel Schrijver of Lockheed Martin's Solar and Astrophysics Lab in Palo Alto, CA. "We see that solar storms can be global events, playing out on scales we scarcely imagined before."

For the past three months, Schrijver has been working with fellow Lockheed-Martin solar physicist Alan Title to understand what happened during the "Great Eruption." They had plenty of data: The event was recorded in unprecedented detail by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory and twin STEREO spacecraft. With several colleagues present to offer commentary, they outlined their findings at a press conference today at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco.

I will be the first to admit, while I find the study of our sun fascinating I know very little about the actual effects of solar activity on our planet as a whole, meaning long term effects and predicting significant geological changes. I know there are very talented people here, and was wondering would you be willing to shed some light for those of us whom don't know?

Curious, if anyone remembers significant weather or seismic events from August 1st. if so would love to hear about it.

Take a look at this magnificent picture:

Physorg.com

Thanks for your time,
Pax

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
What a crappy picture.
It's cheesy!!

Brilliant article though, would like to hear as well about any seismic activity on or around that date.

I wish they had a real picture of it though.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Myself and a bunch of people I know have been having problems with our cell phones for a few months I wonder if this has something to do with it?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
i was able to find this earthquake table. Take a look at the number and magnitude of the quakes that occurred on 8/3 and 8/4.
Global Disaster Watch

8/3/10 -
5.1 HALMAHERA, INDONESIA
5.3 SOUTHWEST OF SUMATRA, INDONESIA
5.0 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.6 SOUTHEAST OF LOYALTY ISLANDS
5.2 TANZANIA
5.4 TAJIKISTAN
6.5 MOLUCCA SEA
5.0 OFFSHORE TARAPACA, CHILE

8/4/10 -
5.1 SUMBAWA REGION, INDONESIA
5.9 KURIL ISLANDS
7.0 NEW BRITAIN REGION, P.N.G
6.4 EASTERN NEW GUINEA REG., P.N.G.
5.5 ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS.
6.3 ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS.
5.0 TONGA
5.8 KERMADEC ISLANDS REGION
5.3 JUJUY, ARGENTINA
5.1 PHILIPPINE ISLANDS REGION

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Well, you also have to remember that the aftermath would take a few days to get here. It would be more accurate to look about 2-4 days after the event, as the shockwave would not be traveling at the speed of light.

Pred...

edit on 15-12-2010 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Well, you also have to remember that the aftermath would take a few days to get here. It would be more accurate to look about 2-4 days after the event.

Pred...

Hey Pred,
I believe the 3rd and 4th would would be 2-3 days after the event.

Thanks for your comments.
Pax

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Sorry, my fault. Guess I should have paid better attention hey?

My apologies.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Apologies, not necessary! No big deal. Is there anyone here who can explain the significance of this discovery?

Thanks,
Pax

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

i was looking into soho on the 12 and saw a massive one as well.first i saw something coming into the sun then the blast.if you go to soho and run the movie you will see it on lassco dec.-12-2010

edit on 15-12-2010 by bumpufirst because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Have a scroll through pages 180 & 181 of quake watch 2010
All the earthquake activity for those days will be found on there including a couple of mag. 6+

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Original NASA report with video..

Global Eruption Rocks the Sun
science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
Is there anyone here who can explain the significance of this discovery?

The scientists and astronomers are saying...

"It was so big, it may have shattered old ideas about solar activity. "

"We see that solar storms can be global events, playing out on scales we scarcely imagined before."

So it seems the answer to your question is "No"

But here is a good attempt

In a paper they prepared for the Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR), Schrijver and Title broke down the Great Eruption into more than a dozen significant shock waves, flares, filament eruptions, and CMEs spanning 180 degrees of solar longitude and 28 hours of time. At first it seemed to be a cacophony of disorder until they plotted the events on a map of the sun's magnetic field.

Title describes the Eureka! moment: "We saw that all the events of substantial coronal activity were connected by a wide-ranging system of separatrices, separators, and quasi-separatrix layers." A "separatrix" is a magnetic fault zone where small changes in surrounding plasma currents can set off big electromagnetic storms.

science.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

join